Sidechat

My home town doesnt even have one :D
We are just "known" for an artist that used to live here that noone knows about unless your really into art and a famous (in germany anyways) brand of candy, but even that isnt produced here anymore 😂
What's the candy?
And who's the artist (I'm not into art, but I happen to know random facts for whatever reason)

The candy is werthers original, idk if that is known anywhere else tho. Its a caramel candie "invented" here and named after the town in like 1900.
The artist is peter august böckstiegel, and if the candy wasnt obscure enough this one sure is :D
The CARAMELS?! We have bowls of those coffee flavored candies in my house. I randomly pick a couple to eat...

The artist, I have no idea

I don't have an animal mascot anywhere near me but the closest animal related thing is this monstrosity of a statue, a lion with a fish tail wearing fancy clothes, behold modern art!

the-ugly-statue.jpg

Golden packaging? Yeah thats them :D
Pride and joy of my little 10k resident town 😂
They were my paternal grandpa's favorite; it was usually his 1st choice in candy...
I don't have an animal mascot anywhere near me but the closest animal related thing is this monstrosity of a statue, a lion with a fish tail wearing fancy clothes, behold modern art!

View attachment 392098
Woah, what's his name? It's beautiful

The candy is werthers original, idk if that is known anywhere else tho. Its a caramel candie "invented" here and named after the town in like 1900.
The artist is peter august böckstiegel, and if the candy wasnt obscure enough this one sure is :D
My mom’s addicted to those things. I’m not a huge fan; too chewy, but they are very well known

Whaaaaat I had no idea those were German, they are the classic elderly British gentleman's delight here 😅

Funnily enough, my hometown’s mascot is the Wildcat, despite us not having either Bobcats or actual Wildcats. I think it’s just to make alliteration with the name Weymouth. That’s how a lot of our neighboring town’s mascots are, for example, Hanover Hawks, Hingham Harbormen, etc.

That's what I love about y'all's towns: y'all have these nice plazas. Houston is so urbanized so there isn't much of that. If I wanna see that, I have to go to Galveston (it's only an hour away, but still)
They're from medieval times when we needed a central market and space for the horses and carriages to park, that's why every European town has its plaza / market square and windy old streets. They're usually pedestrianised nowadays and the most decorate part of town, they are lovely :)

Feels like a situation where someone got the term dandelion and had to make a statue out of it :D
I think it was actually designed around that, the main inspiration behind the statue was the dandelion flower workers back in the day, these were men who wore a dandelion on their jacket which told people they were looking for work. The rest of the statue:
  • Clothes - high quality clothes are added to represent the east India trading company's donation of a college to the town
  • Fish tail - old town square used to be a fish marketplace
  • Not exactly sure about the lion itself, maybe a link to the lion rampant flag

They're from medieval times when we needed a central market and space for the horses and carriages to park, that's why every European town has its plaza / market square and windy old streets. They're usually pedestrianised nowadays and the most decorate part of town, they are lovely :)
Yeah thats what i love about european cities, you can really see the history and age of the place

Yeah thats what i love about european cities, you can really see the history and age of the place
Rub it on, why don't yah🤣
Yeah, Houston has the bad habit of "out with the old, in with the new"

To give y'all an idea, as the name suggests we have bayous all over the city. The problem is that Houston tends to get flooded during hurricane and tropical storms (which are every year). However, instead of leaving the bayous with dirt, they try to "fix it" by replacing the dirt with concrete; everytime they do this, flooding is worse next storm. Dirt is a natural blockade, so it'd help slow the water down, but the concrete just allows water to speed through...
I'm fortunate that we live higher and can't get flooded, and most of my friends haven't gotten flooded either, but if they keep doing this...

Last edited:
Top Bottom