Frontier Forums  

Go Back   Frontier Forums > Off-Topic > Games General > Space/SciFi Games

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11/04/2014, 8:56 AM
Dangerous

Neo-ST will become famous soon enoughNeo-ST will become famous soon enough

Shhh... I don't wanna read your comments because I haven't watched the presentation, so if you could please point me to it...thanks

EDIT: nvm, found it.

Last edited by Neo-ST; 11/04/2014 at 9:06 AM.
Old 11/04/2014, 10:13 AM
Designer- Elite: Dangerous

Mike Evans is a splendid one to beholdMike Evans is a splendid one to beholdMike Evans is a splendid one to beholdMike Evans is a splendid one to beholdMike Evans is a splendid one to beholdMike Evans is a splendid one to beholdMike Evans is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMatterGenerator View Post
I know Elite Dangerous has had a lot of groundwork laid over the last decade before production got into full swing, but the timing of the two Kickstarters, and the money SC has raised, combined with this RSI dogfight demo makes me even more impressed with what FD have done since their Kickstarter and with their Cobra engine.
I'm sure it's been said before on the forums but technically everything you've seen of Elite so far has been created post kickstarter, not before. Those ten years of skunkworks development got the engine in the right place to start development, but the actual game, the meat of it, was created once the kickstarter finished and proper production began.
Old 11/04/2014, 10:20 AM
Average

Xorr is on a distinguished road

Presentation was a little bit chaotic, but there are glimpses of a a reasonable looking space sim there.
I'm interested in the release for sure, but I can't muster the confidence in them as a team to be a backer and my impression of that presentation (or any of the presentations so far) only reinforces that.
I backed Elite eventually as I gained sufficient confidence in the way FD were managing the project, I just don't get that same feeling from Star Citizen. I really do think they've painted themselves into a corner and are going to constantly struggle to live up to the weight of expectation they've fostered which will detract from the core development effort. This is evident in the PAX presentation with things like the 'helmet flip' getting such a wild reception when much of the basics are still under developed.

Going to be very interesting to see watch how this develops.

Last edited by Xorr; 11/04/2014 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11/04/2014, 10:24 AM
Dangerous

Allen Stroud is a name known to allAllen Stroud is a name known to allAllen Stroud is a name known to allAllen Stroud is a name known to allAllen Stroud is a name known to allAllen Stroud is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Evans View Post
I'm sure it's been said before on the forums but technically everything you've seen of Elite so far has been created post kickstarter, not before. Those ten years of skunkworks development got the engine in the right place to start development, but the actual game, the meat of it, was created once the kickstarter finished and proper production began.
I would say congratulations Mike. The SC presentation certainly vindicates many of the ED flight model choices you've designed and implemented.
Old 11/04/2014, 10:25 AM
Designer- Elite: Dangerous

Mike Evans is a splendid one to beholdMike Evans is a splendid one to beholdMike Evans is a splendid one to beholdMike Evans is a splendid one to beholdMike Evans is a splendid one to beholdMike Evans is a splendid one to beholdMike Evans is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Stroud View Post
I would say congratulations Mike. The SC presentation certainly vindicates many of the ED flight model choices you've designed and implemented.
That was mine and Sandy's feeling when we watched it this morning.
Old 11/04/2014, 11:04 AM
Dangerous

I've seen the PAX stream now, all I can say is - congrats FD, keep doing the great work, you're on the right track.
I didn't like the Hornet movement, too fast and too jerky, as well as g-force pilot movement. Seems arcadey, unnatural.
Sound mediocre in comparison to E: D.
Bugs and such better not to mention.
If both games really started off from Kickstarter, then CIG team failed to deliver and FD succeeded with far more content to offer.
Gotta give them some more time though, final judgement will be once DFM is released to public. Imagine the burden on their shoulders...
Old 11/04/2014, 11:33 AM
Deadly

Tinman has much to be proud ofTinman has much to be proud ofTinman has much to be proud ofTinman has much to be proud ofTinman has much to be proud ofTinman has much to be proud ofTinman has much to be proud ofTinman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-ST View Post
I've seen the PAX stream now, all I can say is - congrats FD, keep doing the great work, you're on the right track.
I didn't like the Hornet movement, too fast and too jerky, as well as g-force pilot movement. Seems arcadey, unnatural.
Agreed.

Quote:
Sound mediocre in comparison to E: D.
Absolutely!

Quote:
Bugs and such better not to mention.
Plenty of them in ED too!

Quote:
If both games really started off from Kickstarter, then CIG team failed to deliver and FD succeeded with far more content to offer.
Can't really agree here...remember all of the other stuff they are creating at the moment. FPS gameplay, Squadron 42 and so on...saying that ED has "far more content" isn't really fair.

Quote:
Gotta give them some more time though, final judgement will be once DFM is released to public. Imagine the burden on their shoulders...
Yes, but I don't really expect the flight model to change too much though. If it still hasn't changed drastically since what they showed off in December then I don't expect any big changes in the next few weeks.

As it has been said before many times...the games will be very different on many levels, but that's good for us gamers since that gives us a choice.
Old 11/04/2014, 11:40 AM
Dangerous

deusx_ophc is just really nicedeusx_ophc is just really nicedeusx_ophc is just really nicedeusx_ophc is just really nicedeusx_ophc is just really nice

the best & worst of hollywood right there at pax
Old 11/04/2014, 11:44 AM
Dangerous

@Tinman
I understand that their scope of development is, perhaps, greater that ED's, but I don't think it justifies a failure of this magnitude. There are priorities, and DFM was top priority. Since I can't go into any technical details, I'll just leave it at my opinion that they could have done it better.
Old 11/04/2014, 11:45 AM
Dangerous

Mu77ley has a spectacular aura about themMu77ley has a spectacular aura about them

Just watched the stream and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed with the flight-model as it appeared.

To me it seemed more like an Afterburner-style arcade game rather than a space combat sim, especially when they kept switching to a 3rd person camera (I seriously hope that doesn't make it into the full game).

Some of the environments did look very pretty though, if a touch unrealistic.

Judging from it's current state I'd be surprised if us backers get to play with it before Elite: Dangerous hits beta...
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Frontier Forums > Off-Topic > Games General > Space/SciFi Games