Shhh... I don't wanna read your comments because I haven't watched the presentation, so if you could please point me to it...thanks

EDIT: nvm, found it.
    Last edited by Neo-ST; 11/04/2014 at 9:06 AM.

2. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #992
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkMatterGenerator View Post
    I know Elite Dangerous has had a lot of groundwork laid over the last decade before production got into full swing, but the timing of the two Kickstarters, and the money SC has raised, combined with this RSI dogfight demo makes me even more impressed with what FD have done since their Kickstarter and with their Cobra engine.
    I'm sure it's been said before on the forums but technically everything you've seen of Elite so far has been created post kickstarter, not before. Those ten years of skunkworks development got the engine in the right place to start development, but the actual game, the meat of it, was created once the kickstarter finished and proper production began.

Presentation was a little bit chaotic, but there are glimpses of a a reasonable looking space sim there.
    I'm interested in the release for sure, but I can't muster the confidence in them as a team to be a backer and my impression of that presentation (or any of the presentations so far) only reinforces that.
    I backed Elite eventually as I gained sufficient confidence in the way FD were managing the project, I just don't get that same feeling from Star Citizen. I really do think they've painted themselves into a corner and are going to constantly struggle to live up to the weight of expectation they've fostered which will detract from the core development effort. This is evident in the PAX presentation with things like the 'helmet flip' getting such a wild reception when much of the basics are still under developed.

Going to be very interesting to see watch how this develops.
    Last edited by Xorr; 11/04/2014 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Evans View Post
    I'm sure it's been said before on the forums but technically everything you've seen of Elite so far has been created post kickstarter, not before. Those ten years of skunkworks development got the engine in the right place to start development, but the actual game, the meat of it, was created once the kickstarter finished and proper production began.
    I would say congratulations Mike. The SC presentation certainly vindicates many of the ED flight model choices you've designed and implemented.
    I do/have done too many Elite things to fit in the signature rules.
    http://www.allenstroud.com

5. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #995
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Stroud View Post
    I would say congratulations Mike. The SC presentation certainly vindicates many of the ED flight model choices you've designed and implemented.
    That was mine and Sandy's feeling when we watched it this morning.

I've seen the PAX stream now, all I can say is - congrats FD, keep doing the great work, you're on the right track.
    I didn't like the Hornet movement, too fast and too jerky, as well as g-force pilot movement. Seems arcadey, unnatural.
    Sound mediocre in comparison to E: D.
    Bugs and such better not to mention.
    If both games really started off from Kickstarter, then CIG team failed to deliver and FD succeeded with far more content to offer.
    Gotta give them some more time though, final judgement will be once DFM is released to public. Imagine the burden on their shoulders...

Quote Originally Posted by Neo-ST View Post
    I've seen the PAX stream now, all I can say is - congrats FD, keep doing the great work, you're on the right track.
    I didn't like the Hornet movement, too fast and too jerky, as well as g-force pilot movement. Seems arcadey, unnatural.
    Agreed.

Absolutely!

Bugs and such better not to mention.
    Plenty of them in ED too!

If both games really started off from Kickstarter, then CIG team failed to deliver and FD succeeded with far more content to offer.
    Can't really agree here...remember all of the other stuff they are creating at the moment. FPS gameplay, Squadron 42 and so on...saying that ED has "far more content" isn't really fair.

Gotta give them some more time though, final judgement will be once DFM is released to public. Imagine the burden on their shoulders...
    Yes, but I don't really expect the flight model to change too much though. If it still hasn't changed drastically since what they showed off in December then I don't expect any big changes in the next few weeks.

As it has been said before many times...the games will be very different on many levels, but that's good for us gamers since that gives us a choice.
    >> MIND THE GAP...SIGNATURE CREATION IN PROGRESS (Soon™)<<
    List of official design proposals

the best & worst of hollywood right there at pax

@Tinman
    I understand that their scope of development is, perhaps, greater that ED's, but I don't think it justifies a failure of this magnitude. There are priorities, and DFM was top priority. Since I can't go into any technical details, I'll just leave it at my opinion that they could have done it better.

Just watched the stream and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed with the flight-model as it appeared.

To me it seemed more like an Afterburner-style arcade game rather than a space combat sim, especially when they kept switching to a 3rd person camera (I seriously hope that doesn't make it into the full game).

Some of the environments did look very pretty though, if a touch unrealistic.

Judging from it's current state I'd be surprised if us backers get to play with it before Elite: Dangerous hits beta...

To be fair, I can't think of a game that has as great a sound design as E: D.

My personal impressions: I liked the whole "get into your ship and exit the hangar" bit. While the helmet thing was kinda cool, I do wonder how often you can look at that before it gets old. Flight physics looks all over the place, neither particularly realistic, nor particularly fun. Sound design is forgettable, at least at this point. Netcode problems galore - and that even though they had the whole thing under their own control for this demo.

I was kinda hoping this demo would win me over to jumping into SC as well, but quite frankly, you have to be a SC fan to back it right now. Sure, Elite has netcode issues too at the moment, but the flight part, and especially the SP scenarios, show so much more actual gameplay elements and polish and ship systems that work and actually do something instead of just look nice.

I'm not trying to foster any anti-SC sentiments or anything, I'd love to see SC to turn out awesome. Looking at the way the things are right now however, SC has the shinier graphics, some really nifty animations, very lofty goals and is in a very rough state right now. ED has no character animations, it has netcode issues (getting better but... not there yet), but the feel of flight, the ship systems and most importantly: the core gameplay feels almost ready for prime time. Needing polish and balancing, sure, but boy the premium beta players must feel like FD should just say "fsck it we start shipping tomorrow", compared to the current state of SC.

I really hope they're gonna put a lot more work in before DFM is released to the backers. And maybe go back on the drawing board about some decisions regarding the flight controls.

I kind of got the feeling from watching some of that in full screen, that the third person would give me motion sickness if I did it for any extended period.

I've only ever suffered it once in a game and that was years ago, but that third person and the way the camera followed the ship looked a bit off.

I suppose that's one way to nerf third person......
    Last edited by Cosmo Bozo; 11/04/2014 at 12:23 PM.
    "You'll never get to the moon in that"

Interesting. My impressions ..

The graphics are very nice (as expected). A very pretty environment. I like the variety of junk floating around, the spectacle of the planet looming below with the beams burning into the clouds.

The gameplay - what there is of it at the moment - didn't look all that much fun. As others have said, the spaceship appeared to handle a bit like a racing car, starting, stopping and turning very easily as if it were travelling along an invisible strip of tarmac.

The predator-style locking-on reticle thing will get annoying quickly (as may the helmet flip), I hope they drop that.

Rather glitchy as expected.

If I were a SC backer though, the thing I'd be most concerned about are a) the bugs and crashes, given a controlled environment to demo in, and b) the combat just looking a bit sterile.

Lots of coffee and all hands to deck at the RSI offices over the next few weeks!

I gotta wonder if their decision to go with CryEngine was a good one. It's a pretty engine but it's all achieved with lots of shaders and very little else. Technically the engine is not particularly good fit for a space combat game either. A lot of changes will have to be tacked on or hacked around to make it do what you want. Just take the fact that they are now trying to convert it from 32bit floating point precision to 64bit double precision in order to support larger combat arenas, that's a pretty worrying sign.