BGS overhaul Open, Solo, Group debate

look, that is not so hard to understand.
we are want to get into a war with a faction to take over the system, so we have to gain influence there to match the controlling faction and start a war or election.
When a other Pilot is selling now a lot of Painit at the station, the influence gain is going to the controlling faction. that is the big problem, we can´t sell items there to gain more influence, so one pilot is able to counter more than one pilot.
Mined goods have very low BGS impact, influence actions at a lower influence level are more effective, and a single action type like trade has substantial diminishing returns. One person who isn't even trying to play the BGS should easily be beatable by an organised wing ... if it genuinely is just one person. Throw in a mix of bounties, missions and negative actions against the controlling faction, and you should equalise easily.

But this is basically the BGS game - any system with no player traffic is utterly trivial to take over: a few actions a day to match influence, one action per day in the conflict, done. It's the "shooting Harmless NPC Sidewinders" of the BGS - anyone can do it.

If you want a system that has lots of player traffic, because it's an important system in some way, then you have to work harder to overcome that traffic. Then when you win, it's an actual achievement.

But you made sure to say that all the modes are NOT equal, a design principle from FDev....

So lets do this the other way aorund then,

I think we should give SOLO mode a influence boost for BGS activities. So that all those people that do NOT enjoy getting shot at by other players, which accoring to FDFev is more players than do engage in PvP, so they are encoureaged to do their BGS activities in a game mode that totally blocks PvP.

A few things. First, it's too simplistic to say "all modes are equal" in this context without qualifiers because we could be (and are) talking about it from different angles: If you mean "currently, in terms of INF+ generation all modes are equal", then yes, you're literally correct. If you mean "Frontier have said this phrase in the past" then yes, you're literally correct. However, if you mean the modes are equally dynamic or challenging then you're objectively wrong.

This isn't the 'Say How The Game Currently Is' forum, it's the Suggestions forum, which means talking about ways it isn't, and discussing it.

Clearly we're operating with fundamentally different opinions about whether the additional dynamism of Open is something worth 'lightly' promoting. As I said in my original post, this is absolutely fine. I am not sure why you're being aggressive about it.

I tried to show that I understood and was sympathetic to people who didn't want to play in Open and that I wouldn't want them to be cast aside. You don't seem to be offering the same courtesy, and aren't giving me anything to work with in terms of debate. Where do you want me to go with this now? You're not discussing it from any nuanced design perspective and I already said I was resigned to it. I don't know what more I can tell you.

Last edited:
A few things. First, it's too simplistic to say "all modes are equal" in this context without qualifiers because we could be (and are) talking about it from different angles: If you mean "currently, in terms of INF+ generation all modes are equal", then yes, you're literally correct. If you mean "Frontier have said this phrase in the past" then yes, you're literally correct. However, if you mean the modes are equally dynamic or challenging then you're objectively wrong.

This isn't the 'Say How The Game Currently Is' forum, it's the Suggestions forum, which means talking about ways it isn't, and discussing it.

Clearly we're operating with fundamentally different opinions about whether the additional dynamism of Open is something worth 'lightly' promoting. As I said in my original post, this is absolutely fine. I am not sure why you're being aggressive about it.

I tried to show that I understood and was sympathetic to people who didn't want to play in Open and that I wouldn't want them to be cast aside. You don't seem to be offering the same courtesy, and aren't giving me anything to work with in terms of debate. Where do you want me to go with this now? You're not discussing it from any nuanced design perspective and I already said I was resigned to it. I don't know what more I can tell you.

Wow, so now you are greasping after straws... what is equally dynamic or challening mean? there is nothing inherant more challening or dynamic of Open compared to other modes, it is quite possible that it can be, but overall, I would say that this is simply not true. and you have already gone over quite a few things that a player can already do, to reduce possibility even further, and they do not need to go fiddling with their firewall etc, they can simply block your unwanted PvP engagements and there goes your more challening stuff.

You totally ignored the two other points I made...
That PvP is entirely an optional part of this game.
That there are 3 different Open

But hey, why bother with these sorts of minor details when you are just throwing out some suggestions, and then go bananas when getting some counter questions about how that suggestions does fall within what FDev have said and done!

And your trying to backpedal with this statement is fun
Fake Newts said:
I tried to show that I understood and was sympathetic to people"

Considering that you started your replies with this message
Literally took pains to incorporate all of this. Make a better post and maybe we can discuss it.

trying to backpedal

The full quote in context implies I was sympathetic to players who want to play in solo, among whom I count many of my friends. I'm not sympathetic to you personally whose reply I found unnecessarily aggressive and argumentatively incomplete. That doesn't excuse me for being rude too, but there you have it.

there is nothing inherant more challening or dynamic of Open compared to other modes, it is quite possible that it can be

Yes there is. The threat and unpredictability of other players can be bypassed by messing around with your network settings but I was talking about the mode as intended not post-exploit/block.

I acknowledged and accepted the technical limitations as far back as my first post, which means there's little interest in pointing them out several more times like a 'gotcha!'

You totally ignored the two other points I made...
That PvP is entirely an optional part of this game.
That there are 3 different Open

If you think this you didn't read my post. These are facts about how the game currently is that I've already acknowledged several times now. I can't pretend the game isn't how it is... nor did I.

I know PvP is optional, I actually said I thought it should stay that way in my original post. It's possible you're projecting other people's arguments onto mine. I like and value Open a lot but I'm not an extremist.

I'm glad you don't have to play in Open if you don't want to, I'm glad you enjoy the game. I think there's room in Elite for different kinds of players, of which you and I clearly are.

In a 'silver linings' kind of way it's actually quite heartwarming that we both care so much as to have had such a long, pointless and irresolvable slap fight about it over the past 24 hours. Space is rad, right?

My faction is a PMF....

.... and reducing the scope of the proposed solution, when not all players even agree that there is a problem to be solved, is not a compromise - bargaining, yes, compromise, no.

Nothing is being offered in return for the removal of content from Solo / PGs.

The fundamental tenant of ED is that it is 'Dangerous'. As of 11/2020, FDEV is balancing so that reward for an activity is proportional to challenge.

Any action in open is at least as, or more challenging than in solo/PG.

Therefore regarding BGS influence, make actions in open count more than in solo/PG.

This is technically trivial, would not remove content from solo players, and would attract open BGS players.

It's way too easy to exploit "open only BGS".

Say Frontier did make it so that only actions taking place in Open counted for the BGS. If I buy some trade goods in Open, then switch to Solo, fly the trade goods to the destination station, switch to Open, and sell the trade goods, then all the BGS-relevant actions around those trade goods have taken place in Open.

Or let's say I go exploring in PG and bring back a load of exploration data which I exchange for cash. I then dock at one of your stations in Open and use that cash to complete hundreds of donation missions.

Or lets say I take a mission to get 50 Palladium for your opposing faction. In Open, where the BGS is active, Palladium will be very hard to find because the market restock rate is low and it will mostly already have been bought up. In Solo, buying goods doesn't reduce the amount available on the market, so I can just buy it all up easily.

The BGS is embedded throughout basically everything we do, to the extent that "Open only BGS" means either
  • it's so full of exploitable loopholes that it's basically what we have now but you get to see a bunch of people relogging in your stations
  • Open is the only mode at all
  • Open and PG+Solo have entirely separate galaxy simulations (including markets, first discovery lists, station services [1], system names [2]) and you choose which one a CMDR is in on account creation
None of these are going to happen.

It's not like Powerplay which could in theory be isolated to a single mode without affecting much else.

[1] CGs could easily have different results in one than the other, for example
[2] Part of the prize for player groups winning the Colonia Expansion Initiative CGs was to be able to name their own starport and system.

Can you track the history of a player action in open ? If I started a CZ in open, and a switch to solo, even for 5 seconds, the combat bonds now would be considered originated from solo.

Assign more weight to actions in open than to solo/PG commensurate with increased risk in playing in open.

Can you track the history of a player action in open ? If I started a CZ in open, and a switch to solo, even for 5 seconds, the combat bonds now would be considered originated from solo.
Theoretically I guess they could, but it starts to give weird oddities once multiple players get considered or people do the same action in Solo then Open.

If player A mines some goods in Solo and sells them to a carrier, then player B buys the goods from the carrier in Open and - staying in Open - sells them to a station, should those goods get the Open bonus or not? What if after mining the goods, player A switches to Open to sell and is pirated by player B? What if they mined some in Solo, and switched to Open to mine the rest - can they choose to sell/dump the Open or Solo goods in preference? (I think if the goods stay solo-flagged, that's really weird for player B, but if they don't, it's a trivial way to "launder" them)

It's also a bit odd for exploration - lots of people explore in Solo/PG because that's the mode that high-res screenshots work in. The extra risk from Open in "random system 10kLY from anywhere" is so close to zero as to be irrelevant anyway. So long as they come back to sell in Open they'd have "earned" the bonus, as that's the actually risky bit [1].

"Source and return" missions can have similar issues - it's pretty easy to predict roughly what a station might offer, so what if you show up to a station in Solo with the goods aboard, then switch to Open. The mission was taken and completed entirely in Open, so shouldn't it get the bonus?
(If you say "no, the goods still have the Solo flag", then what about Credit Donation missions? Do they get the Open bonus or not? Does the game need to internally track two separate credit balances - Open and Solo/PG - and preferentially use the Open ones for missions and buying cargo and the Solo/PG ones for outfitting?)

It feels like the sort of mess where there'd be bug reports all over the place from it just not working how people expected it to.

The Powerplay version that Sandro proposed was simpler because the things used for Powerplay are only useful for Powerplay, so could just completely disappear if you switched mode - and regardless of the merits of the idea I think it would have technically worked. Doesn't work for the rest of the game because it's not self-contained like that.

[1] About the only time I go to PG is if there's someone AFK on the medium landing pad at an Outpost. That's fine for me now, and I have more than enough money not to be caring about bonuses anyway, but it'd be really annoying for someone who actually wanted the bonus - hang around for half an hour and hope they leave, or switch mode and lose the bonus on your current cargo plus all the bounties+exploration data you've got stored...

The Powerplay version that Sandro proposed was simpler because the things used for Powerplay are only useful for Powerplay, so could just completely disappear if you switched mode - and regardless of the merits of the idea I think it would have technically worked. Doesn't work for the rest of the game because it's not self-contained like that.
And really, this would all be moot if powerplay wasn't essentially a hauling game, where minmaxed hauler versus dedicated interceptor is such an insane mismatch. If it had been built from the start as an explicitly PvP, team-deathmatch, "pledge to a side and fight it out" thing, then it would be less of an issue. The problem there is that you'd need some sort of ELO system or something just to stop people pledging to the enemy side and letting their mates blow them up.

That and the whole... logging thing.

And really, this would all be moot if powerplay wasn't essentially a hauling game, where minmaxed hauler versus dedicated interceptor is such an insane mismatch. If it had been built from the start as an explicitly PvP, team-deathmatch, "pledge to a side and fight it out" thing, then it would be less of an issue. The problem there is that you'd need some sort of ELO system or something just to stop people pledging to the enemy side and letting their mates blow them up.
The way I'd redesign it is:
- Powerplay cargo is very small quantities. A few tonnes at a time, probably obtained by salvaging, generated by signal sources in enemy control systems. Maybe have some sort of "criticality" limit that means you literally can't carry much at once.
- It attracts powerful NPC opposition as well as being detectable from supercruise by other players, and while you're carrying it seriously slows your drive spool up and makes you more vulnerable to interdiction.
- Get it back to your control/HQ systems to win. No points for anything else.
- Log out of the game and it vanishes.

So the min-maxed haulers are basically now a dedicated combat ship with 4t hold, which have to fight their way home with the cargo onboard.

The way I'd redesign it is:
  • Powerplay cargo is very small quantities. A few tonnes at a time, probably obtained by salvaging, generated by signal sources in enemy control systems. Maybe have some sort of "criticality" limit that means you literally can't carry much at once.
  • It attracts powerful NPC opposition as well as being detectable from supercruise by other players, and while you're carrying it seriously slows your drive spool up and makes you more vulnerable to interdiction.
  • Get it back to your control/HQ systems to win. No points for anything else.
  • Log out of the game and it vanishes.

So the min-maxed haulers are basically now a dedicated combat ship with 4t hold, which have to fight their way home with the cargo onboard.
Yeah. Honestly fast-tracking commodities was a mistake. Right now there's no reason not to just use some money grind and then use it to pay to rush your allowances.

When I first tried powerplay, I thought "oh hey, 25t of goods that I want to carry but know I'll be attacked so I need something tanky" - and my immediate thought was that that situation would be the perfect use-case for something like the federal dropship or the keelback. A low-cargo, tanky, armoured freighter with guns on it.

As it is though, if you deliver your valuables in an armoured truck, you're putting yourself at a disadvantage compared to just shoving a huge pile of them in an open-sided semi.

I'm imagining a new layer of manipulation (that doesn't remove existing features from existing players) only influenced by PvP. Incentive is mats that don't need to be scooped (they are just added to your inventory), reward is negative influence on any faction in that system (players choice).

Sure, you can shoot a buddy or alt account to grind the influence & counter any opponent, or you can use it as an opportunity to teach & learn self defence, useful skills in any competitive environment.

Theoretically I guess they could, but it starts to give weird oddities once multiple players get considered or people do the same action in Solo then Open.

If player A mines some goods in Solo and sells them to a carrier, then player B buys the goods from the carrier in Open and - staying in Open - sells them to a station, should those goods get the Open bonus or not? What if after mining the goods, player A switches to Open to sell and is pirated by player B? What if they mined some in Solo, and switched to Open to mine the rest - can they choose to sell/dump the Open or Solo goods in preference? (I think if the goods stay solo-flagged, that's really weird for player B, but if they don't, it's a trivial way to "launder" them)

It's also a bit odd for exploration - lots of people explore in Solo/PG because that's the mode that high-res screenshots work in. The extra risk from Open in "random system 10kLY from anywhere" is so close to zero as to be irrelevant anyway. So long as they come back to sell in Open they'd have "earned" the bonus, as that's the actually risky bit [1].

"Source and return" missions can have similar issues - it's pretty easy to predict roughly what a station might offer, so what if you show up to a station in Solo with the goods aboard, then switch to Open. The mission was taken and completed entirely in Open, so shouldn't it get the bonus?
(If you say "no, the goods still have the Solo flag", then what about Credit Donation missions? Do they get the Open bonus or not? Does the game need to internally track two separate credit balances - Open and Solo/PG - and preferentially use the Open ones for missions and buying cargo and the Solo/PG ones for outfitting?)

It feels like the sort of mess where there'd be bug reports all over the place from it just not working how people expected it to.

[1] About the only time I go to PG is if there's someone AFK on the medium landing pad at an Outpost. That's fine for me now, and I have more than enough money not to be caring about bonuses anyway, but it'd be really annoying for someone who actually wanted the bonus - hang around for half an hour and hope they leave, or switch mode and lose the bonus on your current cargo plus all the bounties+exploration data you've got stored...

Thank you for taking the time to bring my attention to pitfalls.

BGS concerning factions via CZ:
If my understanding is correct (please correct me if it is wrong or if it is incomplete), the most important aspect of BGS that players in open care about is how the CZ is handled, because the outcome of CZ battle is highly influential on the future of the ruling / competing faction. They cannot defend their faction against an enemy that plays in solo / PG.
To this effect, the following seems fair, easy to understand and implement (I may be missing something here):
  • go to the CZ in open, win the battle, turn in the combat bonds
  • if at any time for any reason you log out and back into solo/PG, the influence of the outcome of the CZ battle becomes that of the equivalent of solo/PG.

BGS concerning exploration along the lines of 'if a tree fell in the forest and there is no there to see it ...'
I am thinking along the lines of your thoughts above:
Clearly if you are out in the black, it should not matter whether you are in solo or open. In fact, if there is no commander in open present near your geo-coordinates, there is no way your actions in solo are distinguishable from those of someone in open. Therefore information you collect in the 'void' when there is no other commander nearby should be equivalent as if you had collected it in open.
Now as you travel back in solo to turn in exploration data, the game sets a radius of say 500 Ly (whatever the maximum jump range) around any inhabited solar system
so that once you pass that point of no return, your results are flagged as solo.

BGS concerning trading:
Any proposal here may seem too technical but perhaps not impossible.

"Source and return" missions: if you purchased items in solo, they are solo-flagged. if you show up with the cargo purchased in solo, then relog to open, take the mission and turn in solo-flagged cargo, your contribution is equivalent to that of solo.

"Credit Donation" missions: there is no difference between open and solo, it is not a perfect galaxy :)

"THE HARD PART": you bring up an excellent point here:

The key is here is that solo-flagged is tied to player A who originated the action, but status of solo-flag can be 'mutated' by the actions of player B who is in open:
If player A mines in Solo and switches to open to sell it, the cargo is solo-flagged (cargo has no history other than player A who had a nick of time in solo).
If player A mines in Solo and switches to open and pirated by player B, then only those cargo that player B pirates from player A are open-flagged. If player B relogs to solo, his pirated items are now solo-flagged, until he relogs to open and pirated by player C, ...

Laundering:
(i) Player A mines some goods in Solo and sells them to a carrier, then player B buys the goods from the carrier in Open and - staying in Open - sells them to a station
(ii) Player A and player B both mine in solo, meet up at the station in open, pirate each other, sell in open

Yes laundering is a problem, and a difficult one.
Let's agree on arbitrary but fixed weight, for example's sake, that a solo mined and sold cargo has '1' unit of influence and open mined and sold cargo has '10' unit of influence on the BGS. These 'weights', 1 and 10 can be adjusted later.

Between two BGS ticks, a cargo's lifetime is a sequence of the following:
(1) originated (mining, purchased from market, found on a planet, ...)
(2) transferred (carried by player A, and/or by player B,...)
(3) deposited (sold at station, now available to both open and solo players)
(4) back to (1)

So the example (i) above where player A mines 1t of LTD in solo, sells them to carrier in solo, player B buys 1t of said LTD in open and sells it to station in open, the lifetime of cargo between two BGS ticks is this:

T0: tick, BGS interval starts
t1 : LTD solo flagged (mined by player A in solo)
t2: LTD solo flagged (sold to FC by player A in solo or open, does not matter, status of LTD cannot be mutated from solo to open by player A)
t3: LTD open flagged (bought from FC by player B in open, status of LTD is mutated from solo to open by action of player B in open)
t4: LTD open flagged (sold to station by player B)
T1: tick BGS interval ends

We agree that if LTD spend its entire lifetime (t4 - t1) in solo, it would have influenced BGS with weight factor 1, and if had spend all of its life in open, with weight factor 10.
Now since a portion of its lifetime, t2 - t1 is spent in solo, and t4 - t3 is spent in open, it will have weight that affects BGS somewhere between 1 and 10.

that is alot of rules to do what exactly?

As the loopholes to circumvent these are several and in several cases very trivial to do...

So there are a couple of ways to create an solo experience in Open,
  • Settings rules in FW/router, so that you cannot connect with other players, making instancing with other player virtually impossible,
  • Liberal use of the block function, I do like you ingame, I block you, and now we do not instance with each other.

Then we have stuff like
  • Exit to menu, most well built ships will survive this, are you going to stick around waiting for me to log back in? well you can stick around, as I have most likely already blocked you...
  • Killing my client, and similiar dirty things

So these are some of the most obvious things I can do to avoid unwanted PvP pew-pew from other players, while still playing in open.

You have already mentioned the friendly piracy loophole, so that is already covered.

Then we have the thing that we 3 open. So god luck fighting of those darn Xbox players when you are on Playstation. Without crossplay, this is quite major oversight, as far as you know, all of those players stealing all your systems are doing this from the comfort of solo, but in practice they are simply running all over you in Open, but on a different platform.Then we have the little issue with that you still have to pay Sony or Microsoft for playing in Open on their respective console. Are you willing to pay extra for console players, so that they have equasl oppurtunity as PC players to play in Open?

You have also not accounted for that all players are not form the same "country", we have players from all around the world, and thus most players play at different time, so assuming you are no playing some crazy like 16+ hours a day, you are not very likely to encounter players from the other side of the world. like in a +/- 12 hours time zone. And what makes matters even worse, even if you play at other hours than your normal after work/school hours, you are still very unlikely to instance with players that is far away, as the P2P design are very likely to cause negative effects on the game play, like rubber banding and other de-sync effects, and thus it is better to not instance you with a player on the other side of the world.

that is alot of rules to do what exactly?

As the loopholes to circumvent these are several and in several cases very trivial to do...

So there are a couple of ways to create an solo experience in Open,
  • Settings rules in FW/router, so that you cannot connect with other players, making instancing with other player virtually impossible,
  • Liberal use of the block function, I do like you ingame, I block you, and now we do not instance with each other.

Then we have stuff like
  • Exit to menu, most well built ships will survive this, are you going to stick around waiting for me to log back in? well you can stick around, as I have most likely already blocked you...
  • Killing my client, and similiar dirty things

So these are some of the most obvious things I can do to avoid unwanted PvP pew-pew from other players, while still playing in open.

You have already mentioned the friendly piracy loophole, so that is already covered.

Then we have the thing that we 3 open. So god luck fighting of those darn Xbox players when you are on Playstation. Without crossplay, this is quite major oversight, as far as you know, all of those players stealing all your systems are doing this from the comfort of solo, but in practice they are simply running all over you in Open, but on a different platform.Then we have the little issue with that you still have to pay Sony or Microsoft for playing in Open on their respective console. Are you willing to pay extra for console players, so that they have equasl oppurtunity as PC players to play in Open?

You have also not accounted for that all players are not form the same "country", we have players from all around the world, and thus most players play at different time, so assuming you are no playing some crazy like 16+ hours a day, you are not very likely to encounter players from the other side of the world. like in a +/- 12 hours time zone. And what makes matters even worse, even if you play at other hours than your normal after work/school hours, you are still very unlikely to instance with players that is far away, as the P2P design are very likely to cause negative effects on the game play, like rubber banding and other de-sync effects, and thus it is better to not instance you with a player on the other side of the world.

The above are 'rules' that would allow players to play in solo and affect the BGS while allow those players in open who predominantly play ED for BGS to have the consequences of their actions be persistent across solo vs open.

You bring up good points for which I have no solution. It seems many of those issues would have to be solved on their own, such as instancing due to P2P design, multiple time zones, segregated platforms.

But if a faction, or factions were popular enough that they have players in multiple time zones and across multiple platforms, then the above rules just may allow them to play their open BGS, enriching the open experience, and creating emerging context, for example, by enabling them to maintain a dominant faction in a system. Without the above extension, these factions may die before they could be born.

It is context for actions that I feel, ED sorely lacks and without an AI extension to BGS (which is probably prohibitive computationally atm), the next best option is humans creating context.

Last edited:
Top Bottom