Imperial Slaves - A Proposition

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I was fine tagging along with anti-xenos crews and dreamed of becoming a stalwart defender of humanity and our manifest destiny amongst the stars, until I got a bit too drunk and watched Close Encounters... I’m not ashamed to admit I had myself a little weep at the thought of all those scouts (probably just Thargoid children on school trips really) I’d callously murdered and said to myself never again.
People film themselves doing it and put it on YouTube!! Disgraceful behaviour. I am gutted there is no peaceful option when interacting with them.

Engage in PowerPlay and push the Imperial factions back into their home systems and you can seriously reduce the amount of imperial slavery going on. For plain old slavery, work the BGS, flip every anarchy you come across to virtually anything else and you make the trade of illegal slaves much more difficult.

I suppose it goes without saying, that I would prefer people keep their real life mores and politics out of my video games and other works of fantasy as well. They are where I go to get away from the real world, not ponder someone else's IRL political/moral outrage.

People film themselves doing it and put it on YouTube!! Disgraceful behaviour. I am gutted there is no peaceful option when interacting with them.
If im not mistaken, passive thargoids can still be found outside of areas where they are warring with human factions and be given meta alloys as a peace offering, and they will leave you be afterwards. But that seems to be the extent of any peace that can be accomplished currently

This simply isn’t mentioned enough. We are the bad guys. I do not like reading about their mass slaughter under the banner of brave heroics.
The Guardians tried to make contact with them many many times before resorting to warfare. I don't think us not attacking them first would've made a difference, tbh.

Source: Codex entries.

If im not mistaken, passive thargoids can still be found outside of areas where they are warring with human factions and be given meta alloys as a peace offering, and they will leave you be afterwards. But that seems to be the extent of any peace that can be accomplished currently
Really? I did not know this. I must investigate. Thank you.

The Guardians tried to make contact with them many many times before resorting to warfare. I don't think us not attacking them first would've made a difference, tbh.

Source: Codex entries.
The guardian codex's arent a reliable source of information as
1: they used mind control technology to enslave thargoids
2: they were just as bad as humanity having racsim and classism. They actually looked upon their own kind as lesser for refusing to get biomods installed almost to a similar degree as nazis
3: thargoids acted in similar manner in the first war 200 years ago with humanity still attacking first.

They probably altered the actual facts just like the federation has been in regards to the human/thargoid war.
The Federation is guilty of experimenting on the thargoids just like the guardians and then trying to sweep it all under the rug.
And who used the anti xeno weapons first?
The federation.

Who did the thargoids then exclusively retaliate against ignoring pretty much all other human factions?

The Federation

The thargoids never attacked anyone unless
1. Provoked
2. They were associated with anti-thargoid operations

Last edited:
Hi all. To those suspecting troll bait, I was a KS backer on ED but did not start really playing until two months ago. Where this came from: I work for a large company and participate in a number of resource groups whose purpose is to improve diversity and inclusion in the workplace by sharing stories of discrimination and/or cultural perspectives. Some of those stories have inspired me. The issue of slave trading in ED always bugged me, but today I got the notion that I'd make a post on the forums for the first time over this issue, because I have a problem with it and felt that there was an acceptable and non-disruptive solution.

I predicted a negative response from many users (many of which fall into the most typical categories of logical fallacy, some which do not), which is fine, but I want to assure you all that this was not troll bait. I'm serious.

My intention was to have an honest conversation about the issue, but it seems like that's not in the cards.

So you had a workplace diversity training and came to the realisation only then that you have an issue with slavery in a game.

Honestly if I had a come to woke moment I'd probably want to use my new insights to deal with honest to god problems outside the realms of a middling space sim game.

All fair and expected points, here goes:

1. The core value offering from this game is a simulated future universe. There are games available today that allow the user to simulate the of women - also not real life, but extremely distasteful and not something I enjoy. My enjoyment of this game is not contingent on the presence of institutionalized slavery in the game, it is hampered by it, and it is not a necessary mechanic to allow my continued enjoyment of the game.

2. I actually do get how it works, I read up on Imperial Slavery before I made the post. Keep in mind that there are two commodities in the game as well, my comments are not exclusive to Imperial Slaves. Saying "Indentured Servants" is a lot different than saying "Slaves", because of the historical associations with and legal definition of the word "slave". If you don't agree, we will just part ways on that.

3. This is a good point, which is murky due to our already existing moral relativism on the issues of murder/drug dealing/piracy/etc. I'll cover each since you mentioned them:

- Murder: I'm not sure this actually happens in the game anyway, because after I "kill" an npc they are usually back for more later. If you "kill" another player, they eject and show up in a new ship. You're not really killing anyone in the game. But even setting those things aside as game mechanic realities and pretending that you're killing them in the game, the penalties for someone who chooses to be a mass murderer are extremely high and obvious compared to those who transport illegal goods. The dis-incentive is a lot higher for this behavior. You can not implement measures to avoid a bounty if you kill a clean player or npc. You can use countermeasures to avoid getting caught in trading.​
- Smuggling illegal goods: It's possible to calculate the human misery and knock on effects from transporting arms and drugs, and the punishments/risk in game appear to be of an appropriate scale to the crime - the negative effects of those items are also secondary to society, as they require a consumer that is using them for ill will. Trading pods with humans in the in the game has a direct effect, but the player's risk is about the same as these other items, and furthermore, trading in those items appears to be more profitable and popular than other illegal goods according to the dozens of youtube videos available on the subject.​

Those points are secondary to the crux of the issue, because I acknowledge that violence is an acceptable part of a game that simulates combat and a struggle for acquiring territory, and I think that no matter how evolved we become as a species, there will always be a market for war and pharmaceuticals. This is ubiquitous in gaming. we can play games to be a hitman, an assassin, a soldier, and so forth. Only a very few people are unable to separate and compartmentalize the actions taken in game against actions in the real world, and because that is commonly understood and accepted, I'm okay with it. Maybe 100 years from now people will look back on this as the Dark Age of Violent Gaming. I don't know.

So why can I not just bundle ED's slave trade in with that stuff? 1. Because it's unnecessary to promote enjoyment of the game unless you are specifically playing it because you like fantasizing about trading slaves, 2. because its implementation in the game is culturally institutionalized in the lore to the point where I'm playing in a universe where I have to accept that slavery is just an acceptable part of life to the plurality of the game universe's inhabitants, and 3. it's cost/risk ratio is high enough that it's a preferred method of progressing in the game, so it teaches an in-game heuristic of "trading slaves = good".

4. I hear this point, but we don't currently have artificial sentient beings mixed in with human society, and many authors of science fiction have explored the issue of what it means to be alive and sentient, and what natural rights machines have if they are or appear so. There is no consensus. Take Star Trek. The Federation wrestled with whether or not Data was alive, had the right to reproduce, and looked at other explorations of artificial sentience by character proxy. You appear to have concluded that if an artificial life form appears intelligent and sentient, then it's wrong to buy and sell them as a commodity, in which case you don't have to, but the ethics are hypothetical and broadly inconclusive, whereas the ethics of doing such with humans is already well established. Taking both at face value, which would you prefer to have in the game as an option?

I suppose that what it comes down to is that I don't understand why it is even in the game when it is not really necessary for enjoyment. There are a number of other possible things that can provide a black hat guilty pleasure for gamers wanting to be a bad guy that don't trivialize, if not provide incentive to act on, what is essentially an activity that is a source of societal pain and disfunction that we're still living out today.

I'll add one additional thing: if I owned a gaming software company, I'd be concerned about the prevalance of videos associated with my game that shows up when you search for "slave trading" on youtube.
The thing is, the game has attempted to represent the reality of what humans would be up to in the 3300s. When you consider slavery exists today, just as it has done since humans had the ability to engage in the practice, it is realistic to think we'll be doing the same things 1000 years in the future as we did a thousand
years ago and are still doing now. Many videos games set in the future have slavery, however it's never glorified. Even in Elite, the description of slaves is as follows:
Bonded men and women. Almost universally illegal and shunned by most civilized nations. Great efforts have been made to stamp out this trade in misery, however a few markets remain open.

That's not something that good characters will be rushing to be involved in.

I'll pass by your point about the difference between Imperial slavery and non-Imperial slavery as it does appear we're talking about the latter anyway. However murder is murder in this game- you kill a clean NPC, you are given a bounty explicitly for murder. Sometimes factions will pay you to specifically ask you to kill civilians as an act of terror. I think there's parallels we can find there. However, if you're not really killing anyone, you're not really engaging in the slave trade as both are mechanics within a game. It's also worth noting that battle weapons and narcotics are not always illegal, so you can't talk about these as being explicitly to do with smuggling illegal goods. Sometimes you are just arming civilians with weapons of war whilst simultaneously getting them high.

As for using AI as slaves, if you can judge a race, species etc. as intelligent and sentient then it it is slavery, plain and simple. Otherwise you put yourself in the same position as the slavers of 200 years ago in your judgement of who is considered lesser and therefore fit to be enslaved. There is no grey area in this. If an AI is not sufficiently advanced to truly be intelligent or sentient (the term used in the Mass Effect games of 'Virtual Intelligence' applying here), they are no more slaves than cows, sheep or calculators and term doesn't apply. They would just be listed in game as robotic servants, or similar. However with a hard ban on AI in the game's universe, such a scenario can't happen.

Sometimes things are not in the game purely as enjoyment. They are there because it poses a moral question for our characters of what sort of person do we want them to be. It is that moral challenge that makes the game interesting. You could call for such a thing to be sanitised and kept out of sight because it is distasteful, or you can accept it as a likely realistic future, because this is what we do when it can be hidden from law enforcement. It is the role of any art form to hold a mirror up to reality and sometimes we don't like what is reflected back. You can't argue with that reflection though.

That's a pretty absurdly myopic conclusion. The existence of slavery (illegal) and Imperial slavery (only legal in two out of nine(?) regions of space) provides a diverse platform of allegiance for players to choose, and a baseline for conflict.

The existence of slavery & slave trading has provided fodder for groups forming to actively oppose the slave trade, for groups to actively fight against the Empire solely because they allow a version of slavery, for groups to defend the Imperial version of slavery, for groups to promote Aisling because she is the only Imperial to fully ban slavery. All of which is not only decent gameplay, but a useful open dialogue about imaginary future space slavery.

No it isn't. Slavery is illegal, the trading of Slaves is illegal, Imperial slavery is illegal in all Federation, Alliance & Aisling systems. None of that leads to slavery being universally acceptable in the ED universe, quite the opposite actually.

No it isn't, and not for a very long time. There are far better ways of progressing in the game - methods that are far easier, far less risky, and far more profitable.

1. It's not absurd or myopic. Here's the logic: I can choose between two space simulation games that offer the same exact exploration, combat, and economic features, but one incorporates the presence of buying and selling human slaves as an option, and the other does not. I find the idea of human slavery distasteful, ergo I choose the game without it. If you prefer having the ability to trade in humans as commodities in the game, you will choose that game instead. What are the motivations for that choice? A. You like that it's there because it aligns with your preferences for the flavor of a particular immersive experience but don't want to actually do it, or B. you want to do it, or C. Elite did it back in 1984 and breaking continuity by writing it out would ruin your immersion and/or sense of nostalgia. Your position that it provides a baseline for conflict is not relevant, because there are a multitude of fictional premises that have the potential to provide a baseline for conflict that would provide equally diverse and interesting options, unless it is specifically slavery that attracts you, either because you prefer its existence as immersion, or because you want to participate in it. If I've missed a motivation in there somewhere, feel free to point it out. I'll acknowledge that my conclusion is flawed if I missed something, but I don't think it reaches the level of myopia or absurdity.

2. There might be squadrons or other groups of players that find the prospect of fighting the slave trade of interest, but the BGS is designed in a way such that it is glacially slow and no meaningful progress can be made, and the option to actively be a slave trader will always be present as a result. If the intent is to provide a meaningful dialogue about "imaginary future space slavery", what's the purpose of promoting that dialogue? Are we meant to wear hats and argue it out? It seems like an issue that's already been settled.

3. I didn't say "universally accepted", I said that it was acceptable to a plurality. For a frame of reference, I was mentally cross referencing super powers and power play as units, also considering anarchy systems, then basically estimating the number of stations that sell/buy either Slaves or Imperial Slaves. However, plurality is probably not right either and I really don't want to do the exact math, so I'll just say that it's a significant and representative percentage, which is what I was trying to say in the first place when I used the world "plurality". I'm not sure how you took that to mean "universal".

4. I don't have recent statistics on the relative economic power inherent to the slave trade after all of the adjustments they've made in their rebalancing efforts (if you have such data feel free to share, I'm happy to admit defeat in the face of actual facts), but I know that there are a whole lot of Youtube videos on how to get rich quick in the slave trade in ED, so I'm letting the wisdom of crowds supply my information here. Tangential to that fact - if you search for "slave trading" in Youtube, a number of informative scholastic lectures come up on the topic. If you scroll down the list for a bit, these ED "how to get rich" videos start to show up, listed as higher in relevance to academic videos on the actual subject in human history. Even if nothing else, if I were a marketing professional at Frontier, that would make me think about how my brand was being represented in online media. If I were one of the people who posted their academic lecture video about historical slave trading that had been calculated to be less relevant than a how to video about a space game allowing fantasy slave trading, I'd probably be depressed.

For those of you who are just telling me to stop playing if I don't like the game, unfortunately, my voice as a consumer is equal to yours. Customer feedback is a necessary part of any product's life. Frontier has provided a suggestion forum in which customers can provide feedback. I have provided it. Just because I am confronting this topic does not invalidate my value to Frontier as an individual consumer and backer of their product. They might come back and say "get stuffed", or be silent, or maybe offer a reasonable and convincing explanation of the value of slavery as a concept in the game. And then I'll have to decide if it's a deal breaker. Obviously I have played for two months and kept at it, so it's probably not entirely, but perhaps my mind will change if I get tired of seeing slaves on commodity boards when I travel to a station that I have to get to to unlock an engineer or something, because to me, it's just as bad as seeing <snip> in the market. It makes me cringe to think that we're letting people simulate that behavior without adequate consequence or sensitivity to the topic.

Honestly, I'm trying to help. The fact that there is a public vault of knowledge on how to take advantage of slave trading as a mechanic in this game would probably keep me up at night if I worked for Frontier, due to a number of imaginable unintended consequences that could conceivably lead to a public relations nightmare. I didn't see a lot of posts on the topic outside of in-lore discussions, so I chimed in to start a conversation, but with the primary motivation that I just didn't like that participating in slave trading was a part of my favorite space game and wouldn't it be nice to change that somehow.

Many of you are taking a different position, most of which either offer no supporting rationale or have twisted/misunderstood my words to undermine my position. A few have given me the impression that it's tied to realism and the fictional lore of Elite, which are positions I can respect - and to those folks, I don't have a problem with having a game where slavery is present in the universe given appropriate context, I have a problem with the way its portrayed in the game as a mechanic in such a way that you can fantasize about being a space-faring slave trader with complete moral ambiguity. There has been no attempt to convince me why that should not be affecting my perception of the underlying morality of the game. I'm evidently flying solo on this issue.

I don't have much else to say beyond what I already posted, so if you actually want to continue the conversation with the intent of changing my mind, feel free to PM me or maybe just come kill me in game to make your point, because I don't see this thread as being super productive with respect to objectively examining the issue, a regrettable outcome I acknowledged as possible when I first posted it. At least Frontier knows how one of their customers feels about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its probably in the game because when it was written in 1984 they just used 3 'bad' things Narcotics, Weapons & Slaves and of the 3, Narcotics would have been seen as the worst especially in USA.

2012-2015 - Same again but a bit of reflection and updating and trying to have 3 distinct cultures at odds with each other means some slaves are modified into a new slave class and added partially to cause conflict in-game

2020 -21 - BLM, the statues, Sharpton's epitaph for GF broadcast across the world.....and now it is much more of an issue than it was at conception or even in 2019.

or embrace it as a necessary evil to get the thing I want (and am therefore playing an evil character).
Would your in-game character 'know'? Or are they so involved in the culture they dont actually realise its wrong? How evil are the Jedi who save Darth Vader as a child but leave his mother in slavery when they could easily buy her freedom or just kill the slaver? (all it takes for evil to suceed is for good people to do nothing)

If you could influence Frontier in-game through PP or RP a slave mass-breakout its more likely to have an in-game outcome

FWIW I agree with you, I quite liked the synth idea even though you are Fallout's Institute :)
The human race never outgrew xenophobia and racism or attacking things they dont understand either.

Our society is broken today

Our society was broken several centuries ago

Our society WILL be broken several centuries from now.
....Then I just said 'Good night kids' and turned the lights out

I'll state this as succinctly as I can: I don't like that this game has slave trading, and allows the player to make profit by selling fellow humans. I have a problem with the fact that this mechanic is present in ED for a few reasons:

1. It shows that despite the technological progress of the human race, social progress took a turn for the worse if an entire galactic human culture is trading in slaves. Depressing, but perhaps that's part of the ED perspective on humans as a race.
2. It's profitable (with risk), so it provides an incentive to trade in slaves.
3. Given that all games like ED are a fantasy played out by the player, the presence of slavery belittles the suffering and pain of slavery by reducing it to numbers on a spreadsheet, which reduces empathy and might consciously or subconsciously reinforce the idea that it's conditionally acceptable in the player's mind. Worse, if there are players actively seeking opportunities to trade slaves as part of their personal fantasy for their own enjoyment, ED is basically enabling this dark and monstrous behavior.
4. Some of your players might be descended from slaves, and self-identify as such as part of their cultural heritage. I imagine that it would be difficult or at least uncomfortable to participate in a game that allows slave trading given such a background.

Taking all of that into account, I think it's unethical to have a game that simulates the institutionalized commoditization of human beings. It belittles the concept.

I know that the Roman Empire had slaves, and that the Empire in ED is meant to be an analog, so here's a proposal (and what I think is a missed opportunity in early development).

Using Blade Runner, Star Trek, Humans, and many other futuristic stories as inspiration, couldn't there be synthetic humans or androids (i.e. replicants) that are a proxy for indentured servitude that had a more nuanced underlying ethical conflict? The same arguments and beliefs that apply to slavery, freedom, and basic fundamental rights become questionable once you apply that scenario. Is a synthetic humanoid alive? Does a synthetic humanoid have the same rights as one that is naturally born? These are questions we are currently struggling with now, so it's an ethical gray area that is appropriate for exploration in a science fiction game.

What I am therefore suggesting is that the Imperial Slave commodity be changed to Imperial Synthetics (for lack of a better term), and retcon its history to reflect that the Imperials make AI androids that are human-like but not humans specifically for servitude, and then make the Slave commodity untradeable by players or remove it from the game. All of the ethical arguments by the Federation and other factions regarding slavery still apply to synthetic persons, and all of the lore associated with the issue of slavery can still be retained, just with a nuance that provides a distinction that allows the player to participate in a game that does not simulate actual human trafficking, while also providing a more contemporary exploration of the ethics surrounding artificial intelligence - which is appropriate for a science fiction game.

I know that the original game had this mechanic. I know that it is meant to be a source of conflict and ethical considerations for players and lore characters. But what is more important: retaining game continuity and an immersive experience for the Imperial player, or acknowledging that slavery is just plain fundamentally wrong and should not be given any opportunity to show up as a viable simulation participation option given the historical pains associated with slavery that many of us are still living with today?

I'm not necessarily saying that it should not exist as a concept if the baseline principle is that it's dark and terrible and that there are still dark and terrible humans in the universe in the 3300s despite all that has been accomplished, but why is Frontier enabling players to participate in this dark fantasy so easily and without any meaningful ethical boundaries, especially at a time in human development when we are persistently dealing with the pain of our recent history and still struggling to resolve that and move forward?
um, no. I like it just the way it is thanks.

I suppose you could add a "donation" mission where you can buy out their contracts.

Or, role play it, you are being paid by said slaves to take them somewhere and release them, they pay you for the journey in your cargo hold at their destination. What you pay for them in the first place is the food, water and amenities required for the journey.

You could also just ignore them as part of your gameplay, stay in fed space and not pick anarchy systems. Then you'll never have to see them at all.

It's not going to happen. David Braben himself said in one of the old videos (I'm sure the video-hunters can find it faster than me) that he deliberately added slavery and drug use to the original Elite, and to its sequels including ED, specifically because it would stimulate debate both internal and external as to the ethics of what you're doing.

Modern 21st century western civilization regards slavery as some kind of paramount absolute evil. Most human civilizations, for most of human history, have disagreed with that assessment. Even today, there are people who would disagree. I recall someone posting on the forum about the debates they used to have with their vegetarian brother while they played Elite FE2; the vegetarian had no qualms carrying slaves, but refused to have anything to do with trading in animal meat or live animals.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom