Modes Odyssey The Start of a New Mediocre Loop: The New Hotel California.

the solution is simple.

private player run servers and a full mod system.

Set the rules for your server based around a game that is setup from the ground up to be pvp centric and if it's great, players will play in it.

want to go a different direction, go ahead and do so. Everyone gets to play the game they want that fits within the fully moddable systems exposed. No more of this hardcore players forced to slum it with casuals or pvp'ers having to deal with pve balance and vice versa.

this is literally..and objectively...and absolutely the only solution that works without fully rewriting the game.

the solution is simple.

private player run servers and a full mod system.

Set the rules for your server based around a game that is setup from the ground up to be pvp centric and if it's great, players will play in it.

want to go a different direction, go ahead and do so. Everyone gets to play the game they want that fits within the fully moddable systems exposed. No more of this hardcore players forced to slum it with casuals or pvp'ers having to deal with pve balance and vice versa.

this is literally..and objectively...and absolutely the only solution that works without fully rewriting the game.
While it might not re-write the game - you would lose any development, any story, any expansion... The Thargoids would remain exactly as they are, no Raxxla, no CGs, no stations spiraling out of orbit and likely no further development of the game or patching.

Maybe 10-15 years down the line once FDev is done with the game and release the server code... but honestly, right now, it's too much to lose just to make it like Space Engineers!

"As a doctor, you of all people should know the danger of reopening old wounds!" Kirk - Wrath of Khan

Please tell me we are not going down the Open/Groups/Solo road? We've been down that road. We know where it leads!

Didn't FDev originally restrict Carriers to Squadrons and got shouted down by the community to open it up to everyone? YOU get a fleet carrier! You get a fleet carrier - everyone gets a fleet carrier...

(ooh - three references in one post? - Shall I bring the popcorn?)
Get the quote right... Kirk said 'physician'. McCoy would later say that Kirk does 'what you always do, turn death into a fighting chance for life'.

As to while bringing this up again... 'resistance is futile'...

It's funny to see ppl strugling the PvE and PvP stuff again.
Remember this is a grind based game, ealier commanders always have gear superiority than late comers.
However the finicial survival of this game is actually Arx, which basically works only when new comers enjoy the game so they are willing to pay.

When this game filled with experienced PvP players, there will be a very limited numbers of player that making Arx contribution.
New players struggled to survive the grinding then their first conda drop like flies by the hand of PvP elites. It would be a good reason to stop playing or buy Arx for these new victims. When dev cannot recieve enough fund to maintain server operation, this game will be dead straight.

Remember the base retail price of this game is never sufficient to sustain server infrastructure or new feature expense long enough like a decade.
It is and always new players and rockie friendly env making ppl willing to pay extra, that is the key to game finicially success and long lasting.

Last edited:
Open, Private and Solo
Elite may be set in one galaxy but really it's 9. Why the hell isn't crossplay been added, it should have been added when you were working on beyond. There should also be a serious discussion about scrapping private and solo modes. The game is supposed to be an MMO you don't give the player base a choice.
One slight issue with that, is you can play the PS4 version without a PSN subscription, which means you can only play Solo and not go to Open as even an option.

FDev would have to change the pricing structure, which may mean hosting all the server stuff and not using PSN at all (like Warframe?). As is though, they can't force non-sub people into Open.

Personally i am in favour of cross-play, at least as an option at first (and cross save too please FDev). Not hopeful though, consoles seem pretty ignored by the CMs and company in general.

Wanting to keep private and solo modes isn't just about not wanting to do PvP or wanting to avoid gankers.

It's also because one may want to just avoid interacting with people or interacting with strangers after spending an entire day surrounded and interrupted by people (some annoying, some not) in real life.

Being able to start up your favourite game (in my case) and just travel amongst the stars doing your own thing without being interrupted by someone (friendly interruptions included) allows one to de-stress after a long day at work.

That's why in addition to having primarily a PG/Solo account I have an open-only alternate account for when I want to be amongst strangers and an allternate strictly solo account where I deliberately don't have any friends on my friends list when I want that total isolation time.

The different modes are one of the main reasons why I bought Elite: Dangerous back in 2014, for the reason I mentioned above.

The only thing I do agree with is that crossplay with consoles should be a thing if technically possible.

No my friend, it would not take forever for fully G5 engineered teams to take each other out. There is a significant gamut of skill in fa off combat wing fighting which most Commanders have not experienced, let alone understand.

Since I am on my tablet it is hard to link vids. There are many PvP tournament videos proving my point.

CQC installations have a lot of obstacles akin to the dense asteroid fields of San Tu. In addition there are some strategies in wing fighting that upon destruction of one, fdl, the demise of that team is all but certain.

PvPers are totally impatient and bore easily. Most will not tolerate long drawn out battles. We often put shield booster limits and prohibit any synthesis or reboot in order keep matches interesting and short.

If we are ever lucky enough to have any ship in a CQC arena, most of us would also request specificity as to whether the power ups were allowed or not.

PvPers may be murder hobos on the side, but at their core there is a space buswhich man
No my friend, it would not take forever for fully G5 engineered teams to take each other out. There is a significant gamut of skill in fa off combat wing fighting which most Commanders have not experienced, let alone understand.

Since I am on my tablet it is hard to link vids. There are many PvP tournament videos proving my point.

CQC installations have a lot of obstacles akin to the dense asteroid fields of San Tu. In addition there are some strategies in wing fighting that upon destruction of one, fdl, the demise of that team is all but certain.

PvPers are totally impatient and bore easily. Most will not tolerate long drawn out battles. We often put shield booster limits and prohibit any synthesis or reboot in order keep matches interesting and short.

If we are ever lucky enough to have any ship in a CQC arena, most of us would also request specificity as to whether the power ups were allowed or not.

PvPers may be murder hobos on the side, but at their core there is a space bushido by which many abide.
Respect!
o7

One slight issue with that, is you can play the PS4 version without a PSN subscription, which means you can only play Solo and not go to Open as even an option.

FDev would have to change the pricing structure, which may mean hosting all the server stuff and not using PSN at all (like Warframe?). As is though, they can't force non-sub people into Open.

Personally i am in favour of cross-play, at least as an option at first (and cross save too please FDev). Not hopeful though, consoles seem pretty ignored by the CMs and company in general.
Its not FD's responsibility for crossplay's absence.
- maybe Sony and MS don't want to share a 3rd party space sandbox. Open play needing a subscription for each of them is a hurdle too.

Its not FD's responsibility for crossplay's absence.
- maybe Sony and MS don't want to share a 3rd party space sandbox. Open play needing a subscription for each of them is a hurdle too.
We'll have to agree to disagree: Sony and Microsoft have a number of games with crossplay. Pretty sure it's the developer's (and publisher)'s responsibility.

Needing a subscription on PSN is a different and separate issue to crossplay, and besides that FDev could do PC - Xbox crossplay even if that was the primary issue (which i doubt).

FDev do not seem to have the will to implement crossplay, as evidenced by their "no plans", as the statement would otherwise be like "we're investigating, but having issues with platform holders".
Sony moved past the "blocking" stage (we dont know quite at which point, more than a year ago*), and from the Apple-Epic court case shows Sony may have discouraged some dev/publishers from doing cross-play by asking for a cut of MTX.
We know this isn't all games, either they dont have any MTX or are too small for Sony to bother the expense of trying to squeeze pennies out of them - Fortnite seems to have been a special case.

Take a look at the current cross-play game list (scroll to the bottom, not just the first section), and you'll see lots of smaller games:

Ultimately the will from the dev/publisher has to be there to implement cross-play in the first place, which in Elite's case both of those are Frontier Developments.

* EVE: Valkyrie launched 5 years ago (five years) with cross-play PC-PS4 and VR-PSVR cross-play at that. Imagine if CQC had VR cross-play... might be/been more popular.

Let's see if you think ED is a competitive pvp being this its target then yes, you are right in the first point. But I'm afraid that's not the case ... Besides, it's hardly going to be an MMO with a p2p connection system ...

Personally, I hope they never remove either the solo mode or the group session. If you don't like it, you can always go to EVE online.

I think the factional war is the BGS. What is the war between the factions of a system (and in which a faction of players can participate). And the factions, in turn, are affiliated with the Powerplays.

I think that this would not make sense either, of going to kill a political boss, or a representative. Since Powerplay is not only war, it is also political and it translates into different flows of goods in the markets (something that seems closer to the reality of how things would be) also, following the current lore, this would lead to to a war across the human galaxy, and back to the above, this is not a Call of duty. Is a simulator dated in the year 3000 +.

You can do many things, like the ones you have mentioned in the rest of the points. And yes they could be fine, but with the core of the game they collide in many aspects. Like stealing ships, it wouldn't make sense with current game systems.

Yes, I see correct the crossplay between the different platforms.
how many people need to go to eve before you are the only one left ?

PvPers may be murder hobos on the side, but at their core there is a space bushido by which many abide.
Unfortunately us PvE peons don't meet your fightclub honor bros. All we get to see are the "git gud" gankers who get their kick from clobbering noob T6 in a CG. Thus you must excuse if your space bushido pals appear as real as unicorns to us :p

Unfortunately us PvE peons don't meet your fightclub honor bros. All we get to see are the "git gud" gankers who get their kick from clobbering noob T6 in a CG. Thus you must excuse if your space bushido pals appear as real as unicorns to us :p
lot of assumptions there

Top Bottom