Playing "bad" characters...

Anyone else suck at it?

Every time I've tried to do a "evil" run of BG3 (and other game that allow the option), I just can't do it. The decisions required just set my teeth on edge.
It's a ruddy game. I really shouldn't find it so hard to be bad.

Really depends upon the game. In most games, the “evil” routes are so cartoonishly evil, that I have a hard time justifying those actions as anything but pure stupidity. OTOH, there’s the occasional game that recognizes that villians believe that they are the hero, and their actions are justified by the world around them.

How I play my main character in Elite Dangerous is a good example. She’s normally a kind and generous person… except when it comes to the Federation in general, and Federal Corporate States in particular. In her personal war against the “Evil Galactic Federation,” she’s smuggled in biological and chemical weapons, kidnapped Federal Corpo Execs to face “justice” at the hands of “Brave Freedom Fighters”, assassinated key executives, and has committed the occasional mass murder. All this stems from a rather horrific experience in her youth, and she doesn’t realize that her experience was outside the norm. She honestly believes that those she faces are monsters, and her actions are justified to free the oppressed from tyranny.

I miss playing evil characters back in the days when you had actual choices and reactions in dialogue, not this bland "grey choices" dialogue they give us now. Also miss the alignment system in the old Bioware games and characters reacting to my characters alignment, the world reacting etc.
I didn't want to get too geeky and mention the alignment system. It's much maligned but it exists in the original D&D game for a reason. It does make sense if you understand it. The paragon/renegade of ME is just ... meh.

I didn't want to get too geeky and mention the alignment system. It's much maligned but it exists in the original D&D game for a reason. It does make sense if you understand it. The paragon/renegade of ME is just ... meh.
Renegade was never about being Evil though. It was more about single minded pursuit of a goal.

I tried playing slightly renegade in one of my playthroughs of ME3...up until the point where I didn't have enough paragon points to stop my beloved Tali Zorah swan diving off a cliff when I sided with Legion, sealing the fate of the Quarian fleet. To say I was distraught was an understatement...couldn't face playing the game again for weeks :)

Last edited:
I tried playing slightly renegade in one of my playthroughs of ME3...up until the point where I didn't have enough paragon points to stop my beloved Tali Zorah swan diving off a cliff when I sided with Legion, sealing the fate of the Quarian fleet. To say I was distraught was an understatement...couldn't face playing the game again for weeks :)
Aww, here something to console you, Bosh'tet.

Source: https://youtu.be/sWtIE-iFK2g

Always thought it was a cop out never seeing Tali without the helmet...did anyone else spend hours trying to make out the blurry pixilated photo she left by the bed? :whistle:
I remember there was a lot of butthurt on the internet about it. I'm classic romantic and only walked that way once. Usually I ended up with blue babes in tight leather (I tweaked them to be red later and for MP - they just go faster) or Garrus - no one touched my Femshep, but Garrus.

Top Bottom