reconsidering buying odyssey; may perhaps quit

If CG's are completed under cover of solo, and there is little meaningful multiplayer ('community') interaction beyond fighting FDL wings, then I regret that the ultimate game I was hoping to play is an illusion.

Ideally, since I am a lone-wolf and cannot compete with wings, I would perhaps resort to attempting transporting freight through blockades, but of course the risk/reward ratio for that is skewed and minimalized. ...perhaps I would join a squadron and strategize a way to get transport through a blockade ... but, again, that is not rewarded play.

Or perhaps I would stalk players with a wakeshift scanner, but again that play can be rendered immediately worthless, (even if prey can be made readily available at CGs.)

I regret that the climax to the solo grind is wholly imagined and that there is no challenge beyond theory-crafting ideal ships, (which ultimately serve no meaningful purpose.)

Also I believe cheating is rampant.

"Flight 065 to Barcelona is boarding at Gate 4, Flight 142 to Rome is mpw boarding at Gate 5. Flight 35 from Manchester is now disembarking from Gate 1. Flight 155 from the ISS has been delayed 10 minutes due to orbital traffic. Oh, and apparently David is quitting ED."

- recording of an announcement from Heathrow, dated April 2131

"Flight 065 to Barcelona is boarding at Gate 4, Flight 142 to Rome is mpw boarding at Gate 5. Flight 35 from Manchester is now disembarking from Gate 1. Flight 155 from the ISS has been delayed 10 minutes due to orbital traffic. Oh, and apparently David is quitting ED."

- recording of an announcement from Heathrow, dated April 2131
Thanks for that dude... I can never understand the tannoy announcers... it's like they purposely make it sound as garbled as possible.

I hope David finds something more to his liking.

If CG's are completed under cover of solo, and there is little meaningful multiplayer ('community') interaction beyond fighting FDL wings, then I regret that the ultimate game I was hoping to play is an illusion.

Ideally, since I am a lone-wolf and cannot compete with wings, I would perhaps resort to attempting transporting freight through blockades, but of course the risk/reward ratio for that is skewed and minimalized. ...perhaps I would join a squadron and strategize a way to get transport through a blockade ... but, again, that is not rewarded play.

Or perhaps I would stalk players with a wakeshift scanner, but again that play can be rendered immediately worthless, (even if prey can be made readily available at CGs.)

I regret that the climax to the solo grind is wholly imagined and that there is no challenge beyond theory-crafting ideal ships, (which ultimately serve no meaningful purpose.)

Also I believe cheating is rampant.
I used to play regularly with a friend but since they joined the fuel rats that's not been a thing in the last year or so. An honourable thing to do imo, but I can't bring myself to help people who just rush headlong into trouble without thinking things through. [If a ship uses fuel, (which is obvious from the HUD display) surely you need to know where you are going to get more before 'planning' a trip anywhere]

Solo play is largely limited to exploration, mining and I guess trading, which is ok up to a point, but fdev don't make these activities anything like a meaningful game loop and it's been that way for a few years. Probably since they finally got around to updating the placeholders for exploration and mining mechanics. Fdev just doesn't know what to do with exploration. EDO has only made this abundantly evident, which I find very sad. The sampling tool was the last insult for me personally. Why was this a twitch mini-game? Obviously a pew pew mindset. Why do you need to take 3 samples when the DNA in a sample doesn't change in any species? Even a caterpillar has the same DNA in its somatic cells as a butterfly. I presume fdev haven't even spoken to a biologist let alone hired one. So I do get your disappointment as I am disappointed too.

I'd love to see more alien races added and alien structures and ruins to explore. New life forms added, both in stellar phenomena and on planets. But fdev need to move to a procedural process in EDO to give it a meaningful diversity.

If you are not into pew pew, fdev don't want you around and neither does the pew pew crowd. It's the easiest way to milk punters for their money...

You do know that the OP has previously stated that he is a ganker. His issues seem to be that he doesn't understand how his victims get away from his deadly turreted T-10. Maybe you could advise him on his build?
No I didn't realise that! It makes his post somewhat of a peculiar thing to say in light of that. Perhaps he would comment?

But a T10 isn't a combat ship to begin with (after all the FDL is the meta for a reason and I don't care to teach him how to put a combat build together). It just doesn't not have the legs even if it does mass lock his 'victims'.

Personally, I've found the T10 great for being a high G planet drop ship though! Perhaps he could give that a go! Could work a treat in EDO. 'Fly' straight down to the base, land bounce. Get out on foot and enjoy the 1g environment on a 10g planet.

I didn't realize player feedback was as narcissistic as that -_-;
The reason you're being met with flippancy is because the topic of solo vs. PG vs. open has been done to death over many years. In addition the "i'm leaving" type of posts are viewed by a lot of forum users as being self indulgent.

Assuming you bought the game after release, the way that the modes worked was clearly demonstrated in hundreds of ways across multiple platforms, from videos on youtube to text on this forum & reddit & elsewhere.
Due diligence would have enabled you to decide if the way that modes worked was a serious issue to you and you could have chosen to spend your money elsewhere.

It's probably best to just leave quietly and go and find another game or something else to occupy your time. Alternatively play the parts of this game that you enjoy.

I wish you all the best in whatever you choose to do (y)

(any stuff to be haz?)

Top Bottom