Split Throttle

I don't actually have one of these, but implementing support for split throttle might make for some awesome rapid-yaw maneuverability right?

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Given that yaw was implemented as it is to stop combat devolving to "turrets in space", I doubt that yaw would be increased in this way.

Some probable cons:
  • which ships have the engines far enough off axis for this to be worthwhile?
  • does the ridiculous TWR of our ships affect whether it's worthwhile?
  • does the fact there is no drag operating on the off-thrust side reduce the torque arising from the differential? (I'm saying yes, if you watch people messing about with yaw control in aerobatic game/sims, it looks like tank steering... you won't get that in vacuum)
  • why is it that even Fifth Generation relaxed stability air combat superiority aircraft don't use it? For example the F35 doesn't even have thrust vectoring. Nor did Typhoon and nor will Tempest. There must be design reasons for that.

Some probable pros:
- The downside of the technique is it cuts total available thrust, which when you have drag and gravity to contend with, is Bad News. Won't have that problem in space!

As a space example I think SpaceX looked at it for Dragon and even for this company, which does cool things for no engineering reason other than it's the cool way, they still thought it wasn't worth it.

(Pedantry note 1: The F-35b has a single purpose STOVL system which is partially technically TV but good luck using it for anything except the intended purpose with carrier decks...
Pedantry note 2: The Typhoon is Fourth Gen, I know)

Ship controls and maneuverability feel extremely polished in ED. While I have not played many other space simulators, I would guess that, in this regard, it's right there on the top among the best of the best.

Thus, I believe it would be a bad idea to start fiddling with it. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

(Like always, opinions may vary. You know what they say about opinions...)

Top Bottom