Things we wanted, but did not get with Odyssey

Just making a list of things that will not come with the expansion that a significant part of the playerbase wanted.
If I missed anything significant, please post and I'll add.

-Terrain overhangs and caves (confirmed not in expansion)
-Weather (seems unlikely from the info we have)
-Ship interiors (confirmed not in expansion)
-EVA possibilities (seems unlikely from the info we have)
-NPC crewmates (confirmed not in expansion)
-HUD customization (confirmed not in expansion)
-Third person gameplay (confirmed not in expansion)
-Planet surface mining (confirmed not in expansion)

Do you know what mate? I actually came in here expecting to white-knight the frack out of the opening post, and, erm, I cannae...

...all those points are reasonable expectations, except third person, most of them already exist in the game or engine in one form or another.

The following comments in orange text are my take on the missing features listed by the OP:
Terrain overhangs and caves
Could have been a feature of the reworked terrain generation
Weather
JWE and Zoo Planet have weather in Cobra Engine
Ship interiors
This was a real surprise given that since even before launch its been "known" that ship interiors were modelled
EVA possibilities
With "Space Legs" becoming a feature, and EVA featuring in the concept art book, and DB having said he was excited about COD Infinite Warfare, which featured zero G combat, I thought the terms "Sapce Legs" and EVA were synonymous with each other
NPC crewmates
This has been requested for oh so long that I really assumed it would come as part of the legs package, when we got to play as a character rather than a dashcam, we'd get to interact with other NPC's in more meaningful ways than shooting them.
HUD customization
Goddamnit - we've been hacking our huds for years on PC, and both PC and console CMDR's have professed a willingness and eagerness to pay for hud colour schemes through the frontier store, this is a massive own goal and a massive loss of revenue
Third person gameplay
No - just NO! this is not tomb raider, nor is it COD. Third-person gameplay in a combat scenario gives far too much spatial awareness, fine if you want to cheat by peering behind walls on NPCs in some zombie shooter, but it has no place in any sort of game with any modicum of verisimilitude or features any PvP. See video at bottom of post.
Planet surface mining
This is a simple case of Why? Why Frontier? Why didn't you give us the ability to mine the surfaces of planets? It's over a quarter of a century since players deployed the last MB4 mining machine, in Frontier Elite 2, and they've eagerly awaited the chance to deploy them since. When I seen what I dubbed MB4-Neo's at my first planetary resource extraction facility in 2.0, I thought they were inveitable, I also thought Frontier was teasing their arrival in 2.1 with those big surface mining machines at Marco Qwent's base:
1611361121854.png

Those suckas must be like MB16++'s - but don't bother telling me the specifications, just...
1611361188299.png

Coming back to third person gameplay, and why it cannot, and should never come to elite:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7zoVIsIT2A

we want more ships........bring them from frontier first encounters,there is huge potential..who dont want to fly a argent quest or griffin carrier...
we want more missile options to buy missiles with basic explosive/thermal warheads, missiles with nuclear warhead,missiles with radar jammer but weaker explosive/thermal warhead,these missiles would be not visible on radar and no missile alert.
let thargoids to build bases and stations around ammonia worlds.
bring energy bombs back

I saw one guy ask about hud customization in the Q&A. The "significant part of the playerbase" line also reeks of fake news journalism. It seems everything besides ship interiors and mining is on the list just to make it longer, to make FD look bad. So if that's what this thread is about, then let me help:

Coffee cup bobblehead
Hula girl bobblehead
Emergency Bacon in all ships
Gun that shoots bananas (unconfirmed as not being in the expansion)

Last edited:
I landed my ship at Futhark (I think, not sure, been busy elsewhere a week later) and this was parked not moving in front of my landing pad. Will Odyssey allow me to get on the bus and go somewhere? Maybe not.

bus.jpg

My ship engineered to gather all materials. I've maxed them all out awaiting Odyssey. You can see the bus.

bus02.jpg

Regards

Just making a list of things that will not come with the expansion that a significant part of the playerbase wanted.
If I missed anything significant, please post and I'll add.

-Ship interiors (confirmed not in expansion)
-Planet surface mining (confirmed not in expansion)
There are several kinds of Extra Vehicular Activity confirmed for Odyssey just possibly not spacewalks.

Top Bottom