I love this game, but....

I wish I could play it at a normal quality and experience it how it should be. I have a brand new macbook pro with high quality specs, only a year old and I play Planet Coaster on the bootcamp side. I can't afford to go and buy another new laptop just to play this game at the highest quality, but it seems that is the way to do it. I run the game on fullscreen with texture and effects both set to low, with the screen size 1280x700 just so I can ride the coasters without it lagging, and it still lags. Also, no matter what I set the track color to, it's always black but the coaster trains do display the colors I choose. I wish there was a solution that didn't involve buying a new computer. Awesome game, just wish I could play it how it should be played.

This is hardly the game's fault.

If you wanted to play high-end modern video games, you really should not have bought a macbook. The devs can't send a message in a bottle back through the waves of time to warn you, what do you want from them?

I bought the macbook way ahead of knowing that this game was being made. Also, I'll never buy another windows machine again, I made that decision years ago. I got tired of the viruses and slow performance. I wish they'd make a mac version of Planet Coaster. I guess that's what I'm really hoping for. It's all my fault though, keep shaming me for the devs lack of development on a mac version :)

Windows computers don't magically get viruses or perform slower than a mac. That's all o the user. If you take care of your computer, there won't be problems with it. Viruses come from somewhere, they don't appear from the ether just because you're using windows...

There will not be a mac version. Planet Coaster uses DX11, which mac OS can't do.

I bought the macbook way ahead of knowing that this game was being made. Also, I'll never buy another windows machine again, I made that decision years ago. I got tired of the viruses and slow performance. I wish they'd make a mac version of Planet Coaster. I guess that's what I'm really hoping for. It's all my fault though, keep shaming me for the devs lack of development on a mac version :)

Yeah sorry I have never had a virus in the 8 years I have built my own computers. I also have no issues with slow down and don't pay for any anti-virus software. If you do however decide actually maybe it was user error or maybe I missed something than please let me know and will be happy to talk through options on getting a PC to play PC ;)

The reason it won't come out natively on Mac is that the OS does not support all the DX functions windows does.

In regards to the low performance, I would assume that although it's high end to the laptop world at the time it's not now. Sorry but that is the way it is. It just doesn't have the guts.

You real only options are deal with it or build/buy a pc and learn how to not get a virus.

Last edited:
I have to agree with the other posters on this one. I don't have any issues with my Windows Desktop. I don't run into viruses and I don't experience slow performance.

Then again, I don't click on random stuff I shouldn't or open e-mail attachments that I shouldn't... you know.. normal "you shouldn't be doing this" type stuff. I've had one virus in 20 years of desktop gaming. It was because I let someone who isn't as vigilant as I am use my computer.

**EDIT - I don't use anti-virus programs. They are generally performance hogs and conflict with a wide variety of software.

Last edited:
I saw a video of a guy testing games on his new 4000 euro 2016 macbook pro. It ran games worse than a ps4... Truth is, macs arent build for gaming. They are optimized for photo/video editing and rendering.

Also a lot of people buy a rubbish 200 - 300 laptop which is likely going to be slow anyway, then get a mac for 1500 and say omg I was so missing out.

My Specs and my PC was always medium spec:
Windows 10
Graphics: Geforce GTX 660ti (Released August 2012)
RAM: 8GB DDR3
CPU: Intel Core i750 (Release date November 2009)

I can play at 1080p Low graphics and I Just went over 4000 guests and it plays like I have 1000. Riding rides is perfect for all of them. The only thing that lags a bit is if I try build something when it is not paused but its still not a problem that I will only pause it if I am building a coaster manually or a larger structure. My CPU is the weakest things in this..

This is a 7 year old computer and I upgraded GPU in 2012... thats it.... plays everything today fine and is lighting fast through windows.... Avast free antivirus as my only one.

Handing this computer down to my 11 year old sister for this Xmas who is dying to play Planet Coaster... She will get lots of fun out of this game on this computer.

My new one will be a fkin BEAST :) I will play planet coaster in 4k 40" GTX 1080 :)

Macs are for people who likely shouldnt have computers for their own safety :) FYI I am an iPhone user but think mac computers are the most stupidest thing ever.... overpriced and incompatible with life!

Last edited:
I am not anti mac but just feel they have very limited appeal these days in honesty. I feel that it may have been different a decade ago but now not so. I mean the latest thing with the Microsoft Surface Studio. Now that is something I would like to be able to use and place the game with the stylus pen while leaning on the screen. That would be fun. Pulling the track about that pen would be awesome.

I am not anti mac but just feel they have very limited appeal these days in honesty. I feel that it may have been different a decade ago but now not so. I mean the latest thing with the Microsoft Surface Studio. Now that is something I would like to be able to use and place the game with the stylus pen while leaning on the screen. That would be fun. Pulling the track about that pen would be awesome.

That would be a cool and interesting interface but sadly I doubt that will ever be supported by any game

Guys, it's not really about Macs, they can be great platforms, but laptops no matter what OS they run are not good computers to play high end games.

If you want an Apple to play get a Mac Pro (for a nice price ofc, as any Mac):
http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/

Last edited:
I went down the Mac route once - about 5 years ago - at the time I was console gaming, so the Mac was just for general use plus photography related tools (Lightroom, Photoshop etc). In the end I switched back to PC for the reason that you will eventually. A Mac simply won't run huge amounts of the software you might want to.

Gaming wasn't the reason I switched, but it has been a side benefit. In the end you get more for your money with a PC and lots of the problems that Mac users go on and on about are no longer there.

Let's face it Apple are back where they were before the second coming of Steve Jobs - the money men are milking loads of old ideas and the world has moved on. If you want evidence of that I give you the Surface Studio (from Microsoft) versus a touch function bar (from Apple) in the respective company's launches this year. Surface Studio has got people drooling; the Mac stuff was greeted with a near universal meh.

The Graphic cards on MacBook Pros, even the ATI 460 Pro.. is a low powered, only 1.8 gigaflops, which isn't very powerful at all.

You cannot expect to play modern games on anything much higher than Medium settings ( if your lucky, with Medium ).

The cost of your machine is irrelevant. I just build a gaming machine after passing on MacBook Pro 2016 myself ( I'm 20+ Mac user ). I'm glad I did, they are shockingly expensive for what you get. The whole machine is a battery compromise. Very low value for money indeed.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Ugh, can't edit posts - *20+ Year Mac User.

Mac lovers need to be educated about the weaknesses of their beloved company. I'm not saying that Windows PC's are perfect, or that Macs are useless, but there's a quite a bit of kool-aid being dranked.

Last edited:
Top Bottom