Basic Building Help

Some basic questions for anyone who has the patience. Yes, I've been watching videos. Thanks! :)

1. Is there a way to build a roof overhang at the bottom of the slopped roof? I see there are pieces for putting overhangs on the sides.

2. Can houses be designed with functional interiors, doors that open, windows you can see out of or are they all designed and built as facades? I've placed some walls, then attached a door window, but the ones I've chosen seem to be facades.

3. Anyone know if the technique used in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHmxh2uZuyI) to join multiple angle wall pieces as one still works? I can generate multiple wall pieces using the Ctrl D command and place them side by side at different angles, but they seem to maintain their own grids. When I click on each piece, it's own grid appears, that it is aligned with.

Thanks!

Some basic questions for anyone who has the patience. Yes, I've been watching videos. Thanks! :)

1. Is there a way to build a roof overhang at the bottom of the slopped roof? I see there are pieces for putting overhangs on the sides.

2. Can houses be designed with functional interiors, doors that open, windows you can see out of or are they all designed and built as facades? I've placed some walls, then attached a door window, but the ones I've chosen seem to be facades.

1. Yes, you can change the grid from 4 meter to 2 meter in the lower right options. Then you can place your roof parts overhanging the walls by 2 meters. As you found there are also overhang roof parts that aren't all that big. My blueprint has overhanging roofs on a coaster station if you want to check it out. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=809846306

2. There are only a couple of opening doors that are "triggerable" from a track ride or coaster. Most, if not all, the doors and windwos are facades. You can check out some things on the workshop and you'll find some buildings have quite a bit of interior stuff that looks pretty cool. But other than animated stuff and special affects there's not alot that i would consider functional.

3. Anyone know if the technique used in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHmxh2uZuyI) to join multiple angle wall pieces as one still works? I can generate multiple wall pieces using the Ctrl D command and place them side by side at different angles, but they seem to maintain their own grids. When I click on each piece, it's own grid appears, that it is aligned with.

Thanks!

3. That video is from March of 2016 and that was during the early alpha stages. That can no longer be done that way. What you are seeing is the way it is now.

Hope that helps.

Narad.

1. Yes, you can change the grid from 4 meter to 2 meter in the lower right options. Then you can place your roof parts overhanging the walls by 2 meters. As you found there are also overhang roof parts that aren't all that big. My blueprint has overhanging roofs on a coaster station if you want to check it out. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=809846306

2. There are only a couple of opening doors that are "triggerable" from a track ride or coaster. Most, if not all, the doors and windwos are facades. You can check out some things on the workshop and you'll find some buildings have quite a bit of interior stuff that looks pretty cool. But other than animated stuff and special affects there's not alot that i would consider functional.

3. That video is from March of 2016 and that was during the early alpha stages. That can no longer be done that way. What you are seeing is the way it is now.

Hope that helps.

Narad.

Thanks Narad, I appreciate the help! I'll check it out. :)

4. Is it possible to place arches directly on top of pillars? I've been trying this and the arches will sit on the ground just fine, but they resist being placed on top of a pillar. I idea would be to have an arch supported by two pillars. Thanks!

Joël

Volunteer Moderator
4. Is it possible to place arches directly on top of pillars? I've been trying this and the arches will sit on the ground just fine, but they resist being placed on top of a pillar. I idea would be to have an arch supported by two pillars. Thanks!

It should be possible to place an arch on top of a pillar, or place any other object on top of another object, by holding down the SHIFT key + move the mouse up/down. Move the arch up until it has the desired position. Alternatively, you can use advanced placement by pressing the X key while in building editing mode. You may have to disable snapping and aligning to surface if those features are blocking the action that you are trying to accomplish.

5. I discovered that then I start a new building that a grid automatically appears and can be easily expanded. However when I take a building out of edit mode and then later return to edit mode, sometimes the grid for that building appears and sometimes it no longer appears. Is there a way to turn the grid back on? What paramter determines if a grid appears or not when selecting a building to edit? Thanks!

It should be possible to place an arch on top of a pillar, or place any other object on top of another object, by holding down the SHIFT key + move the mouse up/down. Move the arch up until it has the desired position. Alternatively, you can use advanced placement by pressing the X key while in building editing mode. You may have to disable snapping and aligning to surface if those features are blocking the action that you are trying to accomplish.

Thanks much! I was thinking that building has to stack, but i see buildings are often built with floating pieces. :)

Last edited:
5. I discovered that then I start a new building that a grid automatically appears and can be easily expanded. However when I take a building out of edit mode and then later return to edit mode, sometimes the

Yes, you can 'edit the building '

There's an icon in the building's panel top right of screen (icon looks like a little pen)
Click the building, click edit and the grid will open, then you're ready to move walls around with grid as guide.

Last edited:
Hey im new here sorry about this, but how to i make a thread also, my building problem is i was doing max 5 nasuea min 5 exceitment and 5 air time. I have over 5 excietment, 5.32 fear and 3.12 nosea. Why did it not pass mission. thanks someone let me know how to work this page new to forum.

Joël

Volunteer Moderator
Hey im new here sorry about this, but how to i make a thread also, my building problem is i was doing max 5 nasuea min 5 exceitment and 5 air time. I have over 5 excietment, 5.32 fear and 3.12 nosea. Why did it not pass mission. thanks someone let me know how to work this page new to forum.

You can click the button at the top left of the forum (while viewing the right forum) that is labeled 'Post new thread' if you want to create a new thread.

Yes, you can 'edit the building '

There's an icon in the building's panel top right of screen (icon looks like a little pen)
Click the building, click edit and the grid will open, then you're ready to move walls around with grid as guide.

I'll clarify. I've got two buildings side by side. When I click on one of them, and then select edit (the pen icon), a distinct bright blue grid appears around it, but when I select the other building, this distinct grid does not appear. However, if I look closely there is a shadow of a grid that can barely be seen. Any ideas of the mechanism that controls this? I'd like the distinct blue grid to appear on any building I select for editing. Is it possible to have place a foundation that completely covers the bright grid? In my brief experience, it seems like the grid always expands out to one square greater than what has been placed. Thanks!

Edit Update: OK, I may have figured it out. I notice that with the building where the grid did no appear "normally" I had an item places far away that was associated with this building. When I removed that piece, the grid now appears normally. :)

Last edited:
6. Can components of a building be saved individually as blueprints to be combined with each other on a later project? Let's say you make a large roof and want the flexibility to duplicate it alone for use on another house, can this be done as a blueprint?
7. Is it possible to duplicate an item from one building and then attach it to a different building, say a row of connected arches? Or does the CMD-D only work within a single building?
Thanks!

Maybe simplest way to think about it (and you've worked this out I think) is can only edit one building at a time. If you want the grid for the other building you have to close the building editor you're in, before opening the next. At least that's the way I understand it.

6. Yes. Hold ctrl and select the pieces you want to group together. When you've got them, save as a blue print. There are two ways to select multiple objects Ctrl Click and by drawing a box around, there's a menu for this on the extreme bottom right of the screen. Note though, there's a difference between blueprinting a collection of objects, and an actual building. A collection of objects will move in together as a blueprint but after you deselect they revert to being individuals. Adding pieces like this to a foundation stone is a good way to get around this. The stone (a flat roof or something) behaves like a building and you can add (collection of) objects to that building, to glue them together before making blueprint.

7. Blueprints maybe useful here because I think the answer to this one is no. However, how well you can get a blueprint to align with an existing building I'm not 100% but the answer is probably 'relatively' easy to get it 'cose enough' (toggle x for advanced move). At the moment you can't change the vertical grid distance on blueprints (they move up/ down 4m at a time?) but I think that will come personally.

I use a bit of land away from the park to try things like this. Copying a building out of the park and working out how I'll go about editing it. There's often a judgement call because of how the building system works. Once I've worked out what pieces I'll be using and where, I find the actual building process is very fast and there's often a good argument for just 'building a row of arches (again)' rather than worrying too much about using a blueprint to do it.?

My two cents.

Last edited:
Maybe simplest way to think about it (and you've worked this out I think) is can only edit one building at a time. If you want the grid for the other building you have to close the building editor you're in, before opening the next. At least that's the way I understand it.

6. Yes. Hold ctrl and select the pieces you want to group together. When you've got them, save as a blue print. There are two ways to select multiple objects Ctrl Click and by drawing a box around, there's a menu for this on the extreme bottom right of the screen. Note though, there's a difference between blueprinting a collection of objects, and an actual building. A collection of objects will move in together as a blueprint but after you deselect they revert to being individuals. Adding pieces like this to a foundation stone is a good way to get around this. The stone (a flat roof or something) behaves like a building and you can add (collection of) objects to that building, to glue them together before making blueprint.

7. Blueprints maybe useful here because I think the answer to this one is no. However, how well you can get a blueprint to align with an existing building I'm not 100% but the answer is probably 'relatively' easy to get it 'cose enough' (toggle x for advanced move). At the moment you can't change the vertical grid distance on blueprints (they move up/ down 4m at a time?) but I think that will come personally.

I use a bit of land away from the park to try things like this. Copying a building out of the park and working out how I'll go about editing it. There's often a judgement call because of how the building system works. Once I've worked out what pieces I'll be using and where, I find the actual building process is very fast and there's often a good argument for just 'building a row of arches (again)' rather than worrying too much about using a blueprint to do it.?

My two cents.

I appreciate it. I was just using that as an example but it did take me a while to set up a row of stacked elements which I could see using again. As a matter of fact I have a map devoted to building and I'm doing my experimenting there. I see you can separate elements from a building, but it's the joining I'm not sure about.

8. Are there no frick'n massive horizontal beams in this game? [squeeeeee] Doing some open structures that would normally have horizonatl beams for support. I'm scouring the inventory but don't see any. There is something called a beam, but it's verticle and when I select Z to rotate, it just rotates around it's vertical access. Is there a way to drop it to a horizontal orientation? Thanks

Search "wooden 4m" .. (or wooden 2m) in buildings, there are a few options.

My favourite for heavy beams is actually "wooden column 4m". If you place it on a surface, it will be vertical, but you can soon rotate it to horizontal with advanced move, angle snap .. on.

(The advanced move tool gives way more control than z and shift. You can activate from the menu of a selected object or toggle on with x. Advanced move + duplicate is even more powerful as it spawns a new version of the object, perfectly aligned. Can easily make the beam 8m long, with 2 beams end to end, or pack 4 beams alongside each other to make a super thick beam).

Manden,

You might check out the attached video in terms of understand the relationship of nongrid items and grid items and how to keep them in buildings. This video is from Alhpa 3 days so it's not exactly the same but the differences are very subtle (we now have an add to building box we didn't have then). Check it out, He does a good job of explaining things.

[video=youtube;RnZ0MicEQ5Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnZ0MicEQ5Q&t=44s[/video]

Hope that helps.

Narad

Manden,

You might check out the attached video in terms of understand the relationship of nongrid items and grid items and how to keep them in buildings. This video is from Alhpa 3 days so it's not exactly the same but the differences are very subtle (we now have an add to building box we didn't have then). Check it out, He does a good job of explaining things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnZ0MicEQ5Q&t=44s

Hope that helps.

Narad

Thanks much, I'll check it out and report back.

On a side not I recently bought the Vault Tec DLC for Fallout 4. I love this game, but the genius who designed how the vault pieces fir together made a real mess out of it. Instead of having all room and hallway parts snap together seamlessly, they have to be transitioned though special fittings from hallway parts to room parts. I'm not really sure why unless it was to give the rooms a different feeling than the hallways, but they still all could have been equally snappable, which they are not. [ugh]

Is there a way to combine a blue print with another building, or take elements from one building (such as copy paste) to combine them with another building? This link says yes, but I've tried it and can't get it to work. http://steamcommunity.com/app/493340/discussions/0/152390014798921735/

and
Search "wooden 4m" .. (or wooden 2m) in buildings, there are a few options.

My favourite for heavy beams is actually "wooden column 4m". If you place it on a surface, it will be vertical, but you can soon rotate it to horizontal with advanced move, angle snap .. on.

(The advanced move tool gives way more control than z and shift. You can activate from the menu of a selected object or toggle on with x. Advanced move + duplicate is even more powerful as it spawns a new version of the object, perfectly aligned. Can easily make the beam 8m long, with 2 beams end to end, or pack 4 beams alongside each other to make a super thick beam).

Thank you!

8. Are there no frick'n massive horizontal beams in this game? [squeeeeee] Doing some open structures that would normally have horizonatl beams for support. I'm scouring the inventory but don't see any. There is something called a beam, but it's verticle and when I select Z to rotate, it just rotates around it's vertical access. Is there a way to drop it to a horizontal orientation? Thanks

In building/walls/columns you'll find some. Search the for the words "Pillar" or "column" and you should find several that might be able to use horizontally as a beam. Look for ones that don't have a grid showing in the background (all white background). These you can rotate any direction once you hit x twice. Look at anything with "decorative" in the title too. Quite a few decorative course this and that. Remember, if one isn't thick enough, 4 of them placed right might be.

I feel your frustration, but this game forces you to be a bit creative sometimes. Hope this helps. I use the stucco pillars quite a bit as well as some of the decorative courses. Check out my fences which I use swords to make the wickets. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=813520745

Top Bottom