Trigurable user music.

so im wondering why they have triggered speakers, but why is the user music not used for these? totally ruined my idea of using it as the coaster announcer telling the riders in the station to watch their step and fasten restraints.

so im wondering why they have triggered speakers, but why is the user music not used for these? totally ruined my idea of using it as the coaster announcer telling the riders in the station to watch their step and fasten restraints.

They have stated that it is too taxing on systems and so have limited it because of this issue. Yep another compromise but considering they thought there would be no user music then it's a start. I just don't understand a lot of these limitations. I would have thought minimising file sizes allowed and letting the user experiment would be better but hey each to own.

Or limit total size of triggerable custom sounds and keep them cached in memory - maybe with option per user to "enable triggered custom sounds" or not depending on user's own system.

I don't think an enable is needed as you would either use it or not. In regards to how to limit size, yep I would say having a limited total pool size to pick from would work nicely as it means as you say they are cached.

Anything that is added needs to work on all machines to a point as well because of the way the workshop works and I believe this is why they are limiting things they could do if we all had £1500 machines rather than just the 5% that do. If we all had better machines things could be pushed much further but limiting the player base at the same time so it's always going to be a compromise.

There are of course a few games out there that don't or ones that are being worked on, things like original Crysis basically said sod anyone who had a low to mid end machine and Star Citizen is working on that (if it ever get's going properly).

I was thinking if you had downloaded someone else's park which happened to contain triggered custom sounds, but if your system was resource limited and this is a serious resource hog as I am told a dev said it was. So you may wish to have them disabled rather than not be able to use the park.

I was thinking if you had downloaded someone else's park which happened to contain triggered custom sounds, but if your system was resource limited and this is a serious resource hog as I am told a dev said it was. So you may wish to have them disabled rather than not be able to use the park.

I understand that, however how does the game know to disable or the player to get it working. If they are disabled by default then how does the player know what music goes where and how it is tied into the triggers. At moment custom music doesn't download from the workshop I believe both for technical and copyright issues.

That doesn't matter on park speakers cause you can just add you own custom music and it will just playl. A custom trigger though requires something specific because that is what the design intended. So with that it would mean that all custom sound triggers would break upon being released to the workshop.

Now if someone has created their own music they either need to provide a link to it to be download separate and tell the player who downloaded which music goes with which ride and which trigger or the player needs to start a fresh anyways.

I mean I would love custom triggers but there is a lot more to it compared to the game coming with built in triggers that can be shared without issue.

So with that it would mean that all custom sound triggers would break upon being released to the workshop.

Well they shouldn't break in the workshop, nor anywhere else. They should stay set just as they were specified, simply playing nothing if the user has not yet downloaded the actual sound and put the sound file in the right place.

Well they shouldn't break in the workshop, nor anywhere else. They should stay set just as they were specified, simply playing nothing if the user has not yet downloaded the actual sound and put the sound file in the right place.

The sound file can't legally be shared though because of copyright. You would both have to also own the custom music piece to share it between each other. (of course if someone owns the music and distributes for free that is different, but for instance I can't put Metallica on a ride and then share the Metallica track with you if you don't own it already).

That is the issue. Music now isn't shared and thus as you say doesn't play even if there is a speaker. However with triggers that is much more complicated. The game paths would have to identical for it to know to work or you would have to manually reproduce all the triggers if you download. (game path uses the user directory for this so would never know the location when you download as it would not look for the folder in a known place unless you specify where to place the folder also).

So they would break, they would no longer play, you would no longer have the required sound file and thus your trigger is lost. Broken doesn't mean they are gone, just they would no longer work.

The sound file can't legally be shared though because of copyright. You would both have to also own the custom music piece to share it between each other. (of course if someone owns the music and distributes for free that is different, but for instance I can't put Metallica on a ride and then share the Metallica track with you if you don't own it already).

That is the issue. Music now isn't shared and thus as you say doesn't play even if there is a speaker. However with triggers that is much more complicated. The game paths would have to identical for it to know to work or you would have to manually reproduce all the triggers if you download. (game path uses the user directory for this so would never know the location when you download as it would not look for the folder in a known place unless you specify where to place the folder also).

So they would break, they would no longer play, you would no longer have the required sound file and thus your trigger is lost. Broken doesn't mean they are gone, just they would no longer work.

Out of interest, how do you have the time to comment on every thread multiple times? I see you everywhere Curly [haha]

Surely there is a standard place in the game's known directory structure (for example a folder it makes itself under My Documents or Appdata) to store custom sound files that are meant for use in the game? If not there should be. Some of the sounds won't be copyright music, and the original creator may create his own and share on, say, dropbox if Steam won't allow it. Then the would-be user simply downloads the file and places it in the location created by the game for such things. If the game doesn't create such a directory then I am shocked and it should.

Out of interest, how do you have the time to comment on every thread multiple times? I see you everywhere Curly [haha]

I work for myself. I often spend my evening working away till early hours of the morning as well. So pretty free to reply when and where really. Sorry if I am getting in way or talking too much though :( just passionate, like to help people out, sound out ideas to improve them and get them to where they would hopefully work for all the player base and improve the game generally.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Surely there is a standard place in the game's known directory structure (for example a folder it makes itself under My Documents or Appdata) to store custom sound files that are meant for use in the game? If not there should be. Some of the sounds won't be copyright music, and the original creator may create his own and share on, say, dropbox if Steam won't allow it. Then the would-be user simply downloads the file and places it in the location created by the game for such things. If the game doesn't create such a directory then I am shocked and it should.

The default for such things used be under user/appdata which meant when user changed it wouldn't know the link. This may have changed though.

In regards tot he 2nd point and user created, yes but this won't always be the case and thus Frontier cannot control this and so can't allow it as they would be liable for creating software that can illegally transfer and play music you see.

If someone makes it available somewhere else then that is down to the user and their morals however Frontier cannot be seen to facilitate such actions. Pain I know as I would love it but the legal side of things is frustrating. There are of course companies you can pay rights to use all sorts of music in and allow that to have a downloadable database and share but the cost and ability need to then be looked at carefully.

A game can work out a path based on environment variables. If it's always C:/users/yourname/somethingorother/planetcoaster/modsfolder the game can easily work out the yourname bit from the environment. Oh well, I mean if you share the game obviously it's up to each user if they want to play with that particular park from the steam workshop anyway and see to their own downloaded content. If not, then you might as well set up a Windows user called "MrPlanetCoaster" just to play the game and share it all

Last edited:
A game can work out a path based on environment variables. If it's always C:/users/yourname/somethingorother/planetcoaster/modsfolder the game can easily work out the yourname bit from the environment. Oh well, I mean if you share the game obviously it's up to each user if they want to play with that particular park from the steam workshop anyway and see to their own downloaded content. If not, then you might as well set up a Windows user called "MrPlanetCoaster" just to play the game and share it all

A game can that is true but not always, we have those issues with certain things. I haven't checked to see if PC has it covered or not is what I am saying.

And I think you are missing the point on why custom music isn't in the game triggers for two reasons that are linked.

This joint reason is copyright for sharing which means you can't have the triggers with the sounds in the correct place without recreating your own or owning the music yourself as well as the person sharing it. Frontier cannot police this and the only way to know they are not helping people share content illegally is to not allow custom music on something that requires those things to work as intended.

The park speakers are different as people can just upload whatever music they like to listen too in the park. They are not reliant on the music/sound to make the trigger work as intended.

On a slightly related note.....can anyone explain what I'm doing wrong with the ambient sound speakers? If I place them down in the park I get the option to change the noise they make. If I place them down in a building (as part of a coaster station for example), there's no option to set the sound. Same goes for the music speakers.

On a slightly related note.....can anyone explain what I'm doing wrong with the ambient sound speakers? If I place them down in the park I get the option to change the noise they make. If I place them down in a building (as part of a coaster station for example), there's no option to set the sound. Same goes for the music speakers.

Yes you cant have the speakers as part of a building so you have to remove it from the building or set the music before you add it to the building

Thank you. I guess I should have tried that myself but I was getting too frustrated. I'm trying to make an effort to do more of my own building rather than relying on workshop designs and because I'm not very good at it and not used to the controls yet, it was a thoroughly unpleasant few hours and the speakers not working was the final straw!

I wonder how on earth a bit of music/sound is too taxing...

It massively limits the creative audio potential. You could have station announcers, almost infinite sound effects, voice-overs on dark rides, e.t.c.

I guess you could try compiling a soundtrack that you assign to the ride, but that's a lot of hassle, and doesn't allow you to do as much.

I wonder how on earth a bit of music/sound is too taxing...

It massively limits the creative audio potential. You could have station announcers, almost infinite sound effects, voice-overs on dark rides, e.t.c.

I guess you could try compiling a soundtrack that you assign to the ride, but that's a lot of hassle, and doesn't allow you to do as much.

it doesnt make any sense to me either, we can use custom music already, we just cant trigger it, what is the big deal about not allowing it to be triggered, i dont freaking get it, i understand maybe if some was using 100s of them in the park, but thats not even an excuse, they could easily limit the amount you can have like they do with everything else, this game seems so open to creativity but so closed at the same time, they limit 3 axis rotation, they limit scenery clipping, they limit parts in a blueprint, they limit coloring items, theres a very limited amount of fonts, very limited amount of music.....whats another limit? seriously.

ill still complete my goal, i just have to time trains out of the station and record an audio file with insertions of silence, but its kind of ridiculous i have to do all of that.

Last edited:
My understanding was that every time it got triggered that is when the game loads it so if you had say 20 triggered sound clips it could be taxing trying to load them at the correct time to the trigger. The park music just plays in a loop though.

That was the basics of it.

It still has issues with copyright and triggers not working if you can't share the sounds then it makes them useless.

I work for myself. I often spend my evening working away till early hours of the morning as well. So pretty free to reply when and where really. Sorry if I am getting in way or talking too much though :( just passionate, like to help people out, sound out ideas to improve them and get them to where they would hopefully work for all the player base and improve the game generally.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

The default for such things used be under user/appdata which meant when user changed it wouldn't know the link. This may have changed though.

In regards tot he 2nd point and user created, yes but this won't always be the case and thus Frontier cannot control this and so can't allow it as they would be liable for creating software that can illegally transfer and play music you see.

If someone makes it available somewhere else then that is down to the user and their morals however Frontier cannot be seen to facilitate such actions. Pain I know as I would love it but the legal side of things is frustrating. There are of course companies you can pay rights to use all sorts of music in and allow that to have a downloadable database and share but the cost and ability need to then be looked at carefully.

Don't apologise dude, just baffled by how active you are!

Top Bottom