file size questions...

Hi All,

maybe you can give some advice regarding file size... I've got a simple cuboid scenery item (6 faces) with one texture.

The file sizes are as follows:

FBX export: 44 kb
Texture (256x256 pixels): 8 kb
Icon.png (500x500 pixels): 20 kb
-------------------------------------
So the TMT upload file is unzipped: 72 kb
(zipped its 28 kb)After TMT conversion, the received *.pcugc file is 196 kb
After workshop upload the workshop states for the scenery item finally: 0.384 MB

Can somebody explain?
  • Why is there a difference of 188kb between the *.pcugc file and the workshop item information? (E.g. is it due to the fact that the scenery item gets uploaded with an ingame picture to the workshop?)
  • What are the recommended average file sizes for TMT scenery objects?
  • I see objects with sizes >10 Mb, are those creating lag?
  • Assume I place the same object (size 1Mb) ingame 100 times, does it require 1Mb, or 100Mb or something between them of RAM space?
  • From experience, what texture size (pixel) do you recommend for a 4x4 m wallpaper?

Any advice would be helpful.

A lot of greets
Corkscrewloop[happy]

HeatherG

Volunteer Moderator
Hi All,

[*]I see objects with sizes >10 Mb, are those creating lag?
[*]Assume I place the same object (size 1Mb) ingame 100 times, does it require 1Mb, or 100Mb or something between them of RAM space?

If there's a 1Mb item it doesn't have that file size in the game. I did a test once. A 5Mb TMT item was only .007mb in the game. That's the size of maybe a dozen trees or more. Hopefully others can answer your other questions sorry that's the only one I can answer.[happy]

If there's a 1Mb item it doesn't have that file size in the game. I did a test once. A 5Mb TMT item was only .007mb in the game. That's the size of maybe a dozen trees or more. Hopefully others can answer your other questions sorry that's the only one I can answer.[happy]

Thanks for your answer! That sounds interresting. Can you explain how you measured that size (difference between 5mb and .007mb in game)?[happy]

Top Bottom