Coaster Station Service Areas and Switcher Tracks

So this is an idea I have had since rct2. Almost all coasters with high capacity systems have service bays, and these also contain extra trains for capacity and to make sure if other trains have issues, they can replace them. What if we can make use of this, and allow for extra trains to be stored in a service bay, and they automatically put more trains on circuit for longer queue times. Also another thing that would be awesome to implement is to add switcher tracks, like this. This would allow for what I mentioned above, but also allow for dual-station boarding. Imagine the possibilities with the coasters if we implemented these things?

If we had this, mechanics should be able to access the service bays and repair the actual trains instead of the power box. Also, the switcher track can also be used to open another segment of the track. Example

Switcher tracks are a must, maybe something we can research in the "Tree". Also I would love to have the ability to have like 2 stations where your riders could unload then the cars will move around and load at another station.

This would be an amazing feature. It could make rides way more efficient, which result in shorter waiting times. And that would contribute to the peeps' happiness.

I could have done so much with this in RCT3! I actually but aesthetic switcher tracks and service bays, but that was all they were.

Switcher tracks offer so many possibilities for really creative coasters and service bays, as you say, could let us put extra trains onto a busy coaster without closing the ride. I think this is a great idea.

Hell, I wouldn't even stop at just switcher tracks. Drop tracks would be nice as well, like on Thirteen at Alton Towers:

[video=youtube;tl78en-poAw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl78en-poAw[/video]

Switcher tracks offer so many possibilities for really creative coasters and service bays, as you say, could let us put extra trains onto a busy coaster without closing the ride. I think this is a great idea.

Hell, I wouldn't even stop at just switcher tracks. Drop tracks would be nice as well, like on Thirteen at Alton Towers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl78en-poAw

That would be very cool, I liked the systems they put in 3, but they could expand on those and introduce some of the ones we have seen developed since the game released. Also, another thing I hope they add is actually have dark rides, like if you build a structure, it doesn't have lighting penetrate the walls, and you can setup the scenes how you want it.

Having a separate station for load and unload is a must for me. So many real coasters have this and it would increace capacity immensely. It would also be very nice to have the stations be able to directly stack next to each other. In RCT3 if you did this you had to have a track piece in between, and it got somewhat annoying. I would also really like to see some more advanced block controlls and precision dispatch timing. RCT3 timing out was a bit of a guess and cars would stack excessively.

This switcher track can play a role in a dynamic system where train allocation is controlled via queue line count. In some real world parks, guests are individually counted when they enter the queue line of a specific ride. If there are a lot of guests waiting thus a high demand for the ride, the system will automatically allocate more trains to the tracks. The switcher track opens the service bay allowing a new train to enter the coaster. If there are fewer guests at the ride then the system will assure that there ought to be no empty trains running though the coaster, at least one train should be available. Trains wear out over time so it's best to keep the empty trains in the service bays. Also, as I have already mentioned above, the trains that are parked in the service bays should have a chance of being repaired by a mechanic.

This switcher track can play a role in a dynamic system where train allocation is controlled via queue line count. In some real world parks, guests are individually counted when they enter the queue line of a specific ride. If there are a lot of guests waiting thus a high demand for the ride, the system will automatically allocate more trains to the tracks. The switcher track opens the service bay allowing a new train to enter the coaster. If there are fewer guests at the ride then the system will assure that there ought to be no empty trains running though the coaster, at least one train should be available. Trains wear out over time so it's best to keep the empty trains in the service bays. Also, as I have already mentioned above, the trains that are parked in the service bays should have a chance of being repaired by a mechanic.

This hits the idea right on the head. I love this system and would really hope to see it implemented because of it's realism and maybe even allows for tweaking of the systems to allow for some really cool planning for when trains get placed on the track.

Always wanted side loaders, I use to work at a park and ran the Demon, American Flyer and a few other coasters. The side loaders were always used each day depending on traffic of people. It would look amazing! and it adds more functionality to the personal fun people could have with them.

Last edited:
A queue line that allows peeps to choose the seat they want to sit in. Maybe even a peep preference if they want to sit in back or front.

A queue line that allows peeps to choose the seat they want to sit in. Maybe even a peep preference if they want to sit in back or front.

This would be good, instead of people popping from the gate to on the seats, a nice touch would be to have like feeder gates, and a slightly longer queue for the front seat.

When a mechanic goes to inspect the ride, he could go to the service bay to check everything out.

Top Bottom