Boxed Edition

I've been looking for the actual post, I can't find it anymore.
Anyway I thought to remember BrettC saying they are focussing on online/digital sale.

I've been looking for the actual post, I can't find it anymore.
Anyway I thought to remember BrettC saying they are focussing on online/digital sale.

I think I remember seeing that as well...

But, while online/digital sales have been the trend/focus for this generation, physical boxed editions would still be great for marketing/sales and should not be ignored. Not everybody has access to or uses online services like Steam. Yes, it does increase overhead for Frontier to produce the physical copies, but they will also drive in sales. Someone that doesn't use Steam may not even really know about the game, yet, if they see it on the shelf at the store, boom, you can have a sale. Another example would be a younger child with parent at the store, sees the game on the shelf "Hey mom, can I get this game!" *checks out the box for a few seconds* "Sure, Danny! I can get this for you"

I am 29, I come from a gaming generation where there was no such thing as Steam, Origin, etc and all that existed was boxed copies. While digital downloads are great and I do take advantage of it myself, I still like boxed copies as well and they can still be great for sales.

I remember walking into GameStop and putting in my pre-order for games and such. It was kinda fun, and I also remember waiting out for a couple days before the release came out to pick up certain games. Man the crazy days of being a gamer. Now everything is on steam and online, and I can just sit on my couch and get fatter while I wait! LOL

I'd still rather get a boxed version of a game over download, especially if a game cost 30 dollars or more.

Last edited:
I've always liked a physical copy also. I know back in the day when the original RCT came out I didn't know about it until I saw it on the shelf. However I suppose it's different now seeing how the new generation has everything at their finger tips. Still can't help but think of the folks who don't really use things like Steam or Origin. Unless you're familiar with the brand you probably wouldn't know about it... that would be for the casual players.

I always enjoyed getting the special edition items. The ones that come with the games and something else. Like with Fallout4 I just got the Pip-Boy item with the game.

Harbinger

Volunteer Moderator
The main problem with physical versions (aside from the additional production costs) is that you typically need at least a month of lead time for them to be produced. In order for a physical version to match the 1.0 version it means either freezing development for the duration of the lead time or the physical version not being available until 1+ months after the game launches.

The latter is what happened with Elite: Dangerous, the only problem being that by the time the physical copies were shipped the 1.1 patch had already been released and it replaced 90% of the files and we also needed a new launcher. The box made a nice souvenir to put on your shelf but as an installation medium it was useless the moment it shipped, attempting to install from disk just redirected you to download a new launcher from the store which in turn downloaded everything from scratch.

That's why boxed editions often just contain a scratch off card with a Steam code these days.

Maybe they could make a special edition tin box for those that want to collect it? And just give you a piece of paper in the tin that has a key for you to download the game?

I see what you are saying though its better for the "team" to have a digital copy because as soon as they release it they can start bug fixes and more then get a patch out asap. Plus on top of all of that having a physical cd/dvd copy just makes it cost more and I do understand people are willing to pay for that but it may just not be worth it. So maybe make a souvenir tin or something else instead?

Harbinger

Volunteer Moderator
A collectors edition of Planet Coaster would be cool, even one that just contained a key to activate the game.

The Premium Backers edition that Frontier had made for Elite: Dangerous (I have one) was really classy:

[video=youtube;BANcKaYRQAo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BANcKaYRQAo[/video]
(It also included an A1 Star Map which was despatched separately.)

If they could produce a collectors edition of this kind of quality for Planet Coaster I'm sure they'd sell out fast.

Last edited:
I still hope that they have a disc version, even if it's part of a collectors edition. I'm very skiddish of buying digital items.

I still hope that they have a disc version, even if it's part of a collectors edition. I'm very skiddish of buying digital items.

As long as you buy them from legit company's then you should not have a issue with digital items. When its comes down to the small games/company's then that is when you start to worry some. But now a days its all going digital, the next couple of years I would be surprised if we are even going to see physical versions.

As long as you buy them from legit company's then you should not have a issue with digital items. When its comes down to the small games/company's then that is when you start to worry some. But now a days its all going digital, the next couple of years I would be surprised if we are even going to see physical versions.

I know to buy only from either the company itself or from Steam, but I still have trouble doing it. It is partly an age thing, as in I'm over 40.
I also think it's partly the younger generation that wants EVERYTHING NOW! Many could care less if it takes away from someone else having a job or not, as long as they get "their" product super fast.

Last edited:
The last time I bought a boxed game ... I think it was years ago. (When i was 22/24)

The boxed game is cool, but that's a thing for collector now (like "the legendary version" : a box with a book, some goodies inside, a map/a poster, and for some games a handpainted 3D figurine), but the game on CD/DVD/Bluray is useless now.

Personally, all my (238) games are on Steam now (with some exceptions for few studios that do not want to sell their games on Steam, and therefore I am forced to use their "launchers", like League Of Legend, some MMO, or games using Origin/Uplay/and-other-breaking-balls-platforms)

Last edited:
Let's be honest, unless it's a console game or a collectors edition, there's no reason to have a boxed game on PC anymore. The game doesn't play off the disc, it's just a delivery method for installation at this point.

And that's the main reason why I'm wanting a boxed copy...
No need to download as many gigabytes!
If you need to reinstall it, you have to download it again or you have to waste as much space on a storage drive...

And of course I have the option of a free digital backup (boxed version will probably need to get activated online).

Boxed DVD versions still should come out regardless. This dependency on the Internet and cloud service is insane.

Boxed DVD versions still should come out regardless. This dependency on the Internet and cloud service is insane.

I agree, as I mentioned it my earlier post, physical boxed copies still have a market. Yes, these days it's all about going digital and a lot of people take advantage of it, including myself, but by no means is the entire market in the "digital age". It would be ridiculous and unrealistic to not provide a physical, boxed copy of THIS TYPE of game. You have to remember that this games market covers a vast age group, anywhere from 8 to 35(realistic market range). It's the younger demographic that can potentially be the problem with a digital-only sale, the demographic of 8-12 would be ideal for physical boxed copies of the game, given they don't necessarily have access to Steam and/or other internet accounts.

Even as I said earlier in my previous post, I am 29, I come from the gaming generation where Steam and other online services didn't even exist and had to blow game cartridges to get them to work. There is still value and a market for physical copies whether you want to accept it or not.

Top Bottom