Modular fairground rides

Hi,

I saw that some rides will use the same "principle" (In this picture exemple : a round base, the pillars, a central tower, and barriers all around)

I would suggest (if not already the case), if it were possible to have "modders friendly modular rides" with different type of barriers, central towers, pillars , structures, cars, colors, texture of the ground, etc... With "official themes", but also the ability to import our own 3D models easily (with integrated an tool). And instead of having 100 different rides in the game for exemple (all in a single 3D model), rather have : 10 different "rides type", but with a big number of available pieces that we can combine together.

With this, we could literally have millions of possibilities just with the official content (excluding choice of colors, and personal 3D models), instead of fifty/hundred different "single 3D model" rides.

IIIUzOi.gif

I know that these "fairground rides" are not as important as "darkrides and coasters rides", but still, that can be REALLY cool to have sort of "unlimited customization choice" to make them look like what we want without limits.

And this concept can be applied to any type of rides.

Oh yeah. It's a great idea. This should be possible. Never thought about it. But it makes sense such modularity. But therefor animations should also be correct even if you change moduls

Edit: maybe you could scale the circle or anything else for a little bit wider or closer

Last edited:
I agree Angelis, +1 [up]

I was wondering the same thing myself after watching the video yesterday. I am hoping that we can customize the flat rides a bit so they aren't always the same thing. i.e. being able to change the theme, car type, color schemes, etc. Choices like that can all be placed in a sub-menu in the ride options.

Additionally, with the fences/pillars it would be nice to have the option to not have things like the pillars at all as well as being able to change the style of them if you do want them. Same thing with the borders/fences around the ride.

Oh yeah. It's a great idea. This should be possible. Never thought about it. But it makes sense such modularity. But therefor animations should also be correct even if you change moduls
Yes, in this idea, the (invisible) "skeleton of the car" remains the same, only the look changes, but in each "rides type" it's always the same.

In the example, with the two rides, two things change :
- the structure of the metalic arms (the way the ride move around the main axis)
- the theme

This is in line (again and again) with the suggestion that I proposed (Scripted Objects and Modular Building), and this idea of "Modular rides" is even easier to implement if the ride is not considered as a big single object, but a "scripted object" (in this case, fews "seats", linked with a "soft_thrillride_guest_animation_sequence") that they can integrate into a "modular structure".

This will allow us to change all the pieces without touching the animations of the seat.
(And why not other cool stuff, such as modifying movements of the arms for exemple)

PS : It's clear in my head but i'm not sure to be very clear in my explanations [ugh]

Great idea, and seeing what you did with this images, it really seems they are going with some type of modular segments for the flatrides (the fliying one, for example, the buildings in the side, totally look like they can be changed), so it wouldnt be too hard to have different themes that change those parts.

Thank yout Angelis. Your explanation and the pics really helped. I love this idea.

Last edited:
Great idea, I was thinking this when I saw the thrill rides video.

Basically, instead of having theme specific rides, just have thrill rides, gentle rides and junior rides with themed options in each one. So, in RCT3, where you could have the Revolution ride, but also the TNT ride for a western area, in PC, I'd like to just be able to place a Revolution ride and choose from numerous themes.

Basically, instead of having theme specific rides, just have thrill rides, gentle rides and junior rides with themed options in each one. So, in RCT3, where you could have the Revolution ride, but also the TNT ride for a western area, in PC, I'd like to just be able to place a Revolution ride and choose from numerous themes.

This x1000!!! It would make the menus cleaner and get rid of duplicate rides. It just seems much easier to me. I posted something like this a while ago but couldn't find the right way to word it.

I'm totally agree with ur ideas. That swould bé a big evolve and that Kindle of things we Can do in games lite simcity with modular addons.

Following ur idea would b great to choose if u need ilumination or u want to change theming or ur rides simply, something similar to buildings or restaurants.

That level of personality and custom in game would bé wellcme :D[squeeeeee]

I know what you are saying, and it would work great here if they start doing this now, but the RCT3 example you gave was not the case. The TNT ride was in the vainilla game, and was a much smaller revolution type ride that looked more like the versions you see at the fair, and not the Mondial/Intamin revolutions you see at theme parks, so they were two totally different rides. Then they added the Mondial/Intamin version, that was super big, with Soaked!
So you were talking about two different rides there, where that type of menu couldnt be used.
Still, your idea is good, lets say we have a mondial/intamin type of revolution in this game, and its the generic one (like the one in RCT3) in the thrill rides menu, you plop it down, then you like a window for theming in the ride pop up menu to add some slight theming (for example greek, like Terra Mitica's Revolution).

Last edited:
I know what you are saying, and it would work great here if they start doing this now, but the RCT3 example you gave was not the case. The TNT ride was in the vainilla game, and was a much smaller revolution type ride that looked more like the versions you see at the fair, and not the Mondial/Intamin revolutions you see at theme parks, so they were two totally different rides. Then they added the Mondial/Intamin version, that was super big, with Soaked!
So you were talking about two different rides there, where that type of menu couldnt be used.
Still, your idea is good, lets say we have a mondial/intamin type of revolution in this game, and its the generic one (like the one in RCT3) in the thrill rides menu, you plop it down, then you like a window for theming in the ride pop up menu to add some slight theming (for example greek, like Terra Mitica's Revolution).

No, the Discus ride was added in Soaked, the TNT ride and the Revolution ride were both in Vanilla RCT3 and they were the same ride with different themes.

Hi,

I saw that some rides will use the same "principle" (In this picture exemple : a round base, the pillars, a central tower, and barriers all around)

I would suggest (if not already the case), if it were possible to have "modders friendly modular rides" with different type of barriers, central towers, pillars , structures, cars, colors, texture of the ground, etc... With "official themes", but also the ability to import our own 3D models easily (with integrated an tool). And instead of having 100 different rides in the game for exemple (all in a single 3D model), rather have : 10 different "rides type", but with a big number of available pieces that we can combine together.

With this, we could literally have millions of possibilities just with the official content (excluding choice of colors, and personal 3D models), instead of fifty/hundred different "single 3D model" rides.

http://i.imgur.com/IIIUzOi.gif

I know that these "fairground rides" are not as important as "darkrides and coasters rides", but still, that can be REALLY cool to have sort of "unlimited customization choice" to make them look like what we want without limits.

And this concept can be applied to any type of rides.
This brings up a question, will they have themes? (sci-fi, adventure, western etc.)

We can believe it! What are we building? Theme Parks are essentialy based on theming and histories giving us a complete experience and full inmersive locations.... And that's it all arround the world on biggest theme parks.

Itself, we got fairgrounds and little parks witout as mony as others where themes are just difused and diferent on any attractions without relation between ones and others.

I want to guess then.. there's gonna be diferent themes, of course.

What is maybe more dificult is to found that modular attractions we ask for on this thead but... sincerelly, with a 1 simple structure of a ride, and mixing different options of theming like fances, lights, statues, pilars.... Just getting among 3 different styles of each section, we could get a lot of different combinations!!!

Pleaasee developers, read this thread!! :3 [uhh][uhh] [squeeeeee][squeeeeee]

What is maybe more dificult is to found that modular attractions we ask for on this thead but... sincerelly, with a 1 simple structure of a ride, and mixing different options of theming like fances, lights, statues, pilars.... Just getting among 3 different styles of each section, we could get a lot of different combinations!!!
Yeah right ! [big grin]
Let's do the maths with just 5 !

5 metalic structures (different movements : like flying, turning on the ground, turn, doing rotations)
5 cars (like planes, animals, flying carpet, etc...)
6 central towers (5 towers + 1 simple generic tower)
6 pillars (5 pillars + no pillars at all)
6 fences types (5 fences + no fences at all)

5400 combinations [squeeeeee]

If we have 10 differents "rides type" : 54,000 combinations

Let's add "uploading your own texture" + "color customization"

UNLIMITED combinations [big grin]

Thanks for piecing this together so well, great visual explanation and the math is also appreciated haha [squeeeeee]

Exactly my thoughts. With this approach we can make rides suitable to any themed areas, improve creativity, provide more content and increase overall realism.

As Charlie Sheen famously said "Bi-Winning" [squeeeeee]

I think it's an interesting thing to be able to mod! Absolutely! :)
And as I wrote in another thread about custom objects in the game, I could imagine that things like variation for rides could be made following some size restrictions and guidelines for where to position the object vs. the object origin/pivot. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom