Resorts Expansion

I had a great idea for an expansion, well I love it anyway.
There should be an expansion called "Planet Coaster: Resort"
Ofcourse I don't know every feature that will already be in the game or added on updates, but here is the sort of thing.

Added features:
Hotels
Water Parks/Slides/Pools
Fireworks
Restaurants (with waiters)
New maps on the seaside, tropical islands etc
More rides/Coaster Types
Maybe a remake of real theme parks (Like on RCT2)
Playgrounds (this would be so nice with the PC Peeps)
More themes: Tropical Island, Atlantis, Roman, Egyptian, Marine, more Vanilla, more rocks and foliage.
Events, concerts, parades etc
Zoos? Maybe Planet Safari should be intergrated into Planet Coaster
Feature to make multipark theme park resorts, connected by Monorail? (Such as Disney World)
A bit of wild life added? Such as birds and fish... maybe gators in a lagoon, although that would be hard on our hard drive!

Okay, I'm going a bit crazy now hahaha!

Last edited:
Although I like the idea of a resorts expansion pack and I like the majority of the features above, I think all these features in one expansion pack is too much

Vampiro

Volunteer Moderator
Although I like the idea of a resorts expansion pack and I like the majority of the features above, I think all these features in one expansion pack is too much

Indeed ...

I think it's more realistic to think of a RCT3 approach where there is like 1 major feature added and several minor's :
- Soaked : Pools, some more rides, water shows, minor stuff.
- Wild : Animals, some rides and minor stuff.

I think if we get any expantions it will kind of work in the same way. Personally i rather NOT have pools and animals as i think they are too far stretched for "regular" theme parks while there is a lot of stuff i would rather have because most of real life parks have them like :

Resorts
Parades
Watershow
Firework
Special entertainment like : Shows, music instrument players, mime players, acrobats, etc etc

Yes I agree with what Vampiro has mentioned. I think we should avoid expansions like Soaked & Wild, wild animals, don't really fit into a Theme Park. Swimming pools could be part of a resort pack to include hotels and restaurants. Watershows & Fireworks is a must and I would like to see Parades and Entertainment shows such as acrobats and dancing.

I enjoyed soaked and wild expansion packs. Especially soaked...I expect them to eventually bring something like that over to PC

So I've seen a bunch of people bring up hotels and resorts. But what does this mean? Are people just talking about creating "hotel" buildings? What gameplay mechanics are being proposed around this? Setting costs for rooms? Hiring hospitality staff, etc? Establishing transportation to/from the hotel?

I'm not sure I buy any of that fitting with a theme park sim. When I think about a theme park sim I usually think about theming, rides, entertainment, park operations, maintenance, costs, etc. but all from a standpoint where those choices can be seen and visibly enjoyed. It seems like the workings of a hotel are more "internal" and less "visible". I'm not saying I'm opposed to it but since I don't quite get it, I'd have to see it and be convinced it's something awesome before I would buy into it.

To me the resort thing seems like a completely different and separate game. Maybe it would be fun (I'd be willing to try it), but it doesn't sound like a theme park game to me.

So I've seen a bunch of people bring up hotels and resorts. But what does this mean? Are people just talking about creating "hotel" buildings? What gameplay mechanics are being proposed around this? Setting costs for rooms? Hiring hospitality staff, etc? Establishing transportation to/from the hotel?

I'm not sure I buy any of that fitting with a theme park sim. When I think about a theme park sim I usually think about theming, rides, entertainment, park operations, maintenance, costs, etc. but all from a standpoint where those choices can be seen and visibly enjoyed. It seems like the workings of a hotel are more "internal" and less "visible". I'm not saying I'm opposed to it but since I don't quite get it, I'd have to see it and be convinced it's something awesome before I would buy into it.

To me the resort thing seems like a completely different and separate game. Maybe it would be fun (I'd be willing to try it), but it doesn't sound like a theme park game to me.
Just read this thread ( https://forums.planetcoaster.com/showthread.php/160-Hotels-Resorts )

Yeah, I know, 9 pages, but all the answers to your questions are here. [up]

Here's my idea of how hotels would work.

The concept:
The hotels will exist within the theme park itself. All guest will have a "fatigue" bar. If their fatigue bar is low and they are tired, guest will have 3 options:
a) leave the park
b) increase their fatigue slightly by sitting down
c) increase fatigue greatly by visiting the hotel.
Regardless of whether it's night or day, exhausted guest can enter the hotel for a period amount of time to fully increase their stamina/fatigue.

The creativity:
I've already seen some amazing hotel creations on YouTube and it's very possible to create your own, including rooms, hallways, bathrooms, etc.. However, keep in mind this isn't hotel tycoon and I can quickly see creating each room as a tedious and annoying task for typical players like me. My idea here is we will be given multiple non-decorated buildings to act as hotels to select from. These non-decorated buildings will come in various sizes each with a different maximum number of guest. In order to make the hotel unique it's our job is decorate the exterior, since its typically all we see. This gives players the ability make the hotel unique. Think about it, you can cover the exterior of the default hotel with new walls, roofs, windows, and other designs. The level of detail you include will also affect the excitment and value of the hotel, similar to how flat rides work.

The management:
Again, this isn't hotel tycoon. So management will be rather straight forward. It will cost us a certain amount per month to keep running. Guest have a flat rate per stay that we players control. The happier the guest, the better your park is, and the more you decorate your hotel, the more they'd be willing to spend in a hotel. Simple as that.

Of course my ideas above could be expanded upon, but for now its very straight forward, simple, and would only take the minimal effort for Frontier to implement. I think something like this would be a great addition and is by far my #1 requested feature.

Yes I agree with what Vampiro has mentioned. I think we should avoid expansions like Soaked & Wild, wild animals, don't really fit into a Theme Park. Swimming pools could be part of a resort pack to include hotels and restaurants. Watershows & Fireworks is a must and I would like to see Parades and Entertainment shows such as acrobats and dancing.

You say that animals and pool complexes dont fit in a theme park, but resorts do. Well it depends on what park a person has been to, or familler with. I've never been to a theme park with a resort, but the other two, I'm famillier with.

Last edited:

Vampiro

Volunteer Moderator
You say that animals and pool complexes dont fit in a theme park, but resorts do. Well it depends on what park a person has been to, or familler with. I've never been to a theme park with a resort, but the other two, I'm famillier with.

Ofcourse, it's not like math where we can say im right and you are wrong [happy]

I can just speak for myself on this... I live in Europe (Netherlands) and most of the bigger parks have resorts and don't have pools or animals. But like i said, there is no absolute truth, maybe you live in a region where it is more common, or you just picked the "right" parks which do have those features.

When i just look at my most populair parks in the western region of Europe :

De Efteling (Resort, no pool, no animals)
Europapark (Resort, no pool, no animals)
Walibi (no resort, no pool, no animals)
Phantasialand (Resort, no pool, no animals)
Disneyland Paris (Resort, no pool, no animals)

Ofcourse, it's not like math where we can say im right and you are wrong [happy]

I can just speak for myself on this... I live in Europe (Netherlands) and most of the bigger parks have resorts and don't have pools or animals. But like i said, there is no absolute truth, maybe you live in a region where it is more common, or you just picked the "right" parks which do have those features.

Animals are definitely rarer here in the states. And some parks that had them did away with them years ago. But water parks as part of theme parks are an extremmely common thing here in the USA. Sometimes the waterpark is a second ticketed gate and other times it's part of the main park and is all included.

About every major park here has a water park attached or as a second gate. Carowinds (park closest to me) just doubled the size of the water park and added 2 more wave pools this year and their waterpark is included with the park ticket.

I myself really want Frontier to not work on expansions to the game that falls outside of the gates until the inside is fully fleshed out. So while I'm not against resorts per sey, I don't want to see them vier off in that direction until they have added all the common and fairly common aspects of a park. Parades, Fireworks, boardwalk games, water park rides, etc. I want to go deep into theme park management before they add resort management.

Even if I agree with you, the Walibi line is not true.

The closest Walibi from my town, called "Walibi - Rhône-Alpes", have an aquatic park inside called "L'ile aux Pirates" ("Pirates Island")

8-1447695896.jpg

Link to the real size map

... But you are right anyway, in the majority of Europe, "Resort" (with Hotels) is something extremly common if a park exceeds a certain number of visitors.
Which is not the case for "pool and animals".

Some have a "Water park" (Like "PortAventura World" with "PortAventura Caribe Aquatic Park" for exemple, and with a 5 Hotels Resort too by the way) but it's pretty rare.
Water parks inside theme parks are maybe more common in southern Europe (because of the of temperature)
And "Zoos" are even rarer (Almost always, they are dedicated parks).

You can also add the "Puy du Fou" in your list (who awarded the "europ's best park", and "world's best park" twice) which is not a "Rides park", but possessing its own resort too, with 4 hotels (The Gallo Roman Villa, The Field of the Cloth of Gold, Clovis Island, and Le Logis de Lescure)

Anyway ... Even "Zoos" can have they own "Resort" here, like the French "ZooParc de Beauval" with a 3 hotels resort (Hotel Les Pagodes, Hotel Les Jardins, and Hotel Les Hameaux).
I guess this exemple explains better the importance of hotels here.

Last edited:
Haw far away do people in Europe have to travel on average to get to an amusement park? In the United States we have some of our larger, more unique, parks have included resorts but most don't. But most of our population is not that far from an amusment park.

Haw far away do people in Europe have to travel on average to get to an amusement park? In the United States we have some of our larger, more unique, parks have included resorts but most don't. But most of our population is not that far from an amusment park.
We have small "amusement parks" (almost always without resort) everywhere in Europe, just like USA.
and we also have big "theme parks" (almost always with resort) everywhere in Europe, just like USA.

The area surface of europe is slightly superior of the area surface of the united states ... but, it's approximately the same.
(10 million 100k km² for Europe, and 9 million 800k km² for USA)

In the same way, we have more parks than the US, but I think we have "approximately" the same number of parks.
USA have almost 210 "amusement and theme parks" according to wikipedia, which is almost the number of "amusement and theme parks" of France, Germany, Denmark, Spain and Finland combined (other european countries excluded, I'm too lazy to count how many parks we actually have)

The "resort" is not only determined by the distance between parks, but mainly by :
- 1) the size of the park(s) (how many time you need to visit it)
- 2) the number of visitors

Roughly speaking, the rule is :
A park with a traffic of over 1,000,000 visitors/year must offer at least one hotel.
After 1 million visitors, more hotels you have, the better !

[up]

Cool. I was wondering. I was beginning to think that resorts were either a lot more common there or you just had a lot fewer parks.

Top Bottom