Coaster Derailing

Did some searching but could not find a thread about it.

Anyhow, i think this would nearly speak for itself but the possibility for coasters to go offtrack and crash into the crowd. Sounds a bit morbid i know but haven't we all tried this in RCT3? Or the pretty scary moment in RCT1/2 where it could happen that the breaks failed and carts landed up on each other causing your coaster carts to explode?

Now the theme of this game is cartoony with a slice of realism and i personally believe that deaths are not really the best thing to add to a cute game as this. But in RCT3 it was comical to see your visitors flying all over the way in case a cart lands between them. This was of course a deliberate act usually but what if there was too much G-Force going on? Which results in the car to derail? Perhaps thins such as a break failure that would fail to break the cart so it exceeds its limit or a turn that gets taken too sharp once you fail to maintain your coaster properly (so that it goes faster through the corner).

It adds more tension and more reason to take care of your coaster, besides the urge to just crash a coaster a few times it would make me care for my coasters more. The more frequent a coaster could crash, the less people will ride it which results in the coaster getting less popular and so on.

[video=youtube;GpCaK8ISSYA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpCaK8ISSYA[/video]

Apparently i was not clear on this, i do not meant that they should crash like RCTW.

Last edited:
Yes in real life. But being part of a game, it's fun to some of us to make "death rides", and do other mischievious acts.
Kinda like GTA, I and I hope nobody else would never dare do the stuff on GTA, in real life.

They DID say that there would be no deaths, because they want the game to be a very "E" rating, plus the way rct3 did the whole crash thing, it looks unrealistic, and they want planet coaster to be as realistic as possible, so if they wanted to show a crash in a realistic way, it would have to be in a somewhat mature way.

One thing I don´t want is the way they handled the derailing during coaster construction in RCTW. It seems annoying and it´s just very unrealistic that coaster cars would derail just because the g-forces are too high. High forces should only influence the rating and the effect on the guests.

RCT3 did a pretty good job with it. There was no blood or body parts everywhere, yet mischief was allowed.

Let's not bring realism into coaster crashes. The only way to be realistic is to have death. If you want your coaster to crash than expect less than realism.
Flying off mid-track is a feature people didn't like in RCTW, so it'd be best not to bring it here, not because it's unrealistic, but because it's tedious.

I feel realism could be the death of this game, so don't focus on it too much, just allow for players to customize their parks in any way they please. [yesnod]

I'd like derailing how it was in RCT3. Having them derail like in RCTW, no thanks.

I agree that RCTW crashing part is just too much. However going through a tight corner at 90 km/ph should do something.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Let's not bring realism into coaster crashes. The only way to be realistic is to have death. If you want your coaster to crash than expect less than realism.
Flying off mid-track is a feature people didn't like in RCTW, so it'd be best not to bring it here, not because it's unrealistic, but because it's tedious.

I feel realism could be the death of this game, so don't focus on it too much, just allow for players to customize their parks in any way they please. [yesnod]
The derailment i stated wasn't meant to be taken as a realistic future but more as a precaution thing for maintaining your coasters.

To cause a crash on purpose is okay, but the way RCTW does it, is very annoying.

Last edited:
In Thrillville Off the Rails, the guests had parachutes automatically deployed when the ride crashed, but that seems very unrealistic.

I love the idea of having to close a ride because it's crashed or become unsafe, but not the idea of horrific crashes.. and you're right, the way that RTCW handled the element of trains coming off the track or (in the case of the BETA, just falling off) - which in the end became one of the massive frustrations with the game.. I'd rather just build a decent coaster that's too extreme for people to ride than build it to crash..

It was a big wish of mine that there would be coaster accidents like coaster derailing in planet coaster, because that is a part of RCT1/2 I really liked and I missed it in RCT3 soooooooooo much or it was to undramatic. In the old games you had the claim not to build unrelistic coasters and had to think twice before you made an mistake in the planning of the coaster. We all want fun by playing the game but one thing is important - This game is an coaster- and economy-simulator and in my opinion it is an Must-Have that there could be accidents which also could kill people. This can give the game really much depth... If such an desaster happens, there could be an malus on the park visits for several weeks. On the other side there could be an reward for the safety of your park. The whole accident and death theme gives more possibilities like emergency-trainings for your employees; an increased visitation of external safety inspectors for several weeks/months; ingame-newspaper reports which comment the accidents and number of injured/dead people, ...

I hope the guys of planet coaster integrate this stuff. This would make the game perfectly. [happy][yum][yesnod]

Last edited:
Simple fact is that modern coasters just dont de-rail unless the track is broken, they physically can't come off. As for crashing coasters in general, I admit I laughed initially at how absurd it was but I wouldnt want the devs to waste any time programming it into the game.

Simple fact is that modern coasters just dont de-rail unless the track is broken, they physically can't come off. As for crashing coasters in general, I admit I laughed initially at how absurd it was but I wouldnt want the devs to waste any time programming it into the game.

this is so true! maybe a maintenance system could make the trick, like if you don't put enough money into formation of the mechanics and parts needed to repair, it can break.
i'd rather et the gravity effect on customers as a priority though.

modern coasters just dont de-rail unless the track is broken, they physically can't come off

Tragically for some people in Scotland today it looks like it does happen. Tsunami came off the track at M&D's theme park. My thoughts are with the victims and their families.

No deraling for me in any way.

What ever caused this accident in scotland, it was an exception as accidents at flats are. And that is not fun in any way.
The arguement "It was in before and is in RCTW" is no solid reason for me.
It occurs really strange to me that some seem to have fun in hurting people, though i know this is not real.
But a bit more compassion would be nice.

Last edited:
I know this was discussed in previous forums, but a maintenance system where if you dont maintain the ride then it could break down and take days to fix. Derailing should very rarely happen, only if the coaster isnt maintained,

Top Bottom