FPS is not effected???

I'm wondering why the developers stated that their should be no FPS issues when there clearly is? If its not the CPU issue what else could it be? I'm concerned that the issue is not taken seriously, because if not this will ultimately ruin the game. My specs are more than enough and even when lowring the graphics setting to the lowest there is still a FPS issue.

I'm wondering why the developers stated that their should be no FPS issues when there clearly is? If its not the CPU issue what else could it be? I'm concerned that the issue is not taken seriously, because if not this will ultimately ruin the game. My specs are more than enough and even when lowring the graphics setting to the lowest there is still a FPS issue.
They didn't state that there should be no FPS issues. They just stated that the "issue" where CPU load is always high is not responsible for the FPS loss. There will still be a lot of areas of the game that require optimisation.

Brett C

Frontier
We're always looking into ways to improve the game's performance. Game FPS reduction issues are on the list of things to be looked at, but it's a longer-term goal.

They didn't state that there should be no FPS issues. They just stated that the "issue" where CPU load is always high is not responsible for the FPS loss. There will still be a lot of areas of the game that require optimisation.

What Xyphic said and also I am sure the algorithm that works out the CPU usage to animation/pathing cycle will be tweaked. I should note that mine actually hasn't raised above 80% with an i7 4790k @ stock or overclocked to 5.0GHz so guess there is some optimisation already there.

Regards,

Adam

My Intel Core i7-6700 hovers around 50% usage, but I still only get 30FPS because my graphics card maxes out. I have an EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti, which isn't bad, but it's not ridiculously good either. CPU usage isn't the cause for the FPS stuttering, GPU usage is (in my case, anyway).

Aye, to go into a little more detail with my CPU at the stated 80% I am playing at 4k resolution with a GTX980 and am getting around 25-30fps. It mind is pretty smooth so although the numbers are low and would be great to see 60fps it doesn't feel as bad as the figure would suggest.

Will be interesting to see if/how/when SLI is supported (no idea if Frontiers Engine does this) in what increase can be had along with the fact by time this is out new GPU's from both camps should be available and should improve things further.

I don't see the CPU/FPS at this stage of development as an issue.

Hmm not sure then because my CPU runs at around 97% so im pretty sure its a CPU optimisation fault, because on the live stream they stated that the CPU will not cause any FPS issues, but ive seen other posts from people who have very high end CPU's and they also stated it was at 97%?

Hmm not sure then because my CPU runs at around 97% so im pretty sure its a CPU optimisation fault, because on the live stream they stated that the CPU will not cause any FPS issues, but ive seen other posts from people who have very high end CPU's and they also stated it was at 97%?
The game makes use of otherwise idle CPU cores by scaling the rate at which the simulation runs. But it does this at a low priority, so anything more important will supersede it (such as the main game / render loop). The more accurate measure of whether the game is CPU bound would be to monitor GPU usage; if this is high, it indicates that the FPS is limited by the GPU. If FPS is low and GPU usage is low, it could point to the game being CPU-bound but might also indicate some other synchronisation issue (e.g. I/O).

In short, try not to worry about FPS issues with large parks right now. If you feel that there's an FPS issue and it isn't related to the size of park (such as if it occurs when you place / delete a particular type of object) then by all means report it as it might be a legitimate optimisation problem that Frontier aren't aware of.

Yes the FPS is smooth until the park gets bigger and then it starts to happen, only slightly however this ruins the coaster cam and ride cams. So my main concern was the fact that many people experience this issue but on the live stream they basically said it wont effect FPS.

The more accurate measure of whether the game is CPU bound would be to monitor GPU usage; if this is high, it indicates that the FPS is limited by the GPU. If FPS is low and GPU usage is low, it could point to the game being CPU-bound but might also indicate some other synchronisation issue (e.g. I/O).

Yeah. For me, my FPS have dropped since the size of my park has increased (down to about 22 FPS average). I have an app for my EVGA GeForce GTX 960 called PrecisionX that can overlay lots of info on the screen and it is showing that my GPU is still only at about 60% load. However, my CPU is consistently at over 95% for Planet Coaster so it seems to be CPU bound. My CPU was pretty high-end about 5 years ago (AMD Phenom II X6 1055T - 6 Cores @ 2.8GHz).

Anyway, I do expect Planet Coaster to use a lot of CPU resources simply because there is so much simulation and animation going on, but I hope some optimizations come along that magically improve things.

My system has Intel's flagship 6th gen Intel Core i7 6700k CPU, a high end GPU (Sapphire Nitro AMD Radeon R9 390 8GB GPU), and 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz HyperX system RAM and Kingston Fury HyperX SSD, and it sometimes gets poor fps in some areas of my parks like around the entrance but when I move the camera to other areas of the park, it shoots back up to 28-48fps.
The game is only in Alpha stage right now. You got to expect some imperfections. But how they've made the game, it's still a lot of fun to play it. The game is not optimised yet.
Cities Skylines requires a high speed CPU too. Yet with my PC specs, it can easily play the game on maxed out settings at over 60fps. Thank goodness the fps issue isn't everywhere in the game. In my experience, it's only in minimal areas of a park.

Yeah. For me, my FPS have dropped since the size of my park has increased (down to about 22 FPS average). I have an app for my EVGA GeForce GTX 960 called PrecisionX that can overlay lots of info on the screen and it is showing that my GPU is still only at about 60% load. However, my CPU is consistently at over 95% for Planet Coaster so it seems to be CPU bound. My CPU was pretty high-end about 5 years ago (AMD Phenom II X6 1055T - 6 Cores @ 2.8GHz).

Anyway, I do expect Planet Coaster to use a lot of CPU resources simply because there is so much simulation and animation going on, but I hope some optimizations come along that magically improve things.

not really how it works. if i have 1536 CUDA cores and i ask the GPU to do something that is not "perfectly" optimized for parallel threading, it is possible that i might only use 500 cores "flat out", 500 cores at 80% and 500 cores hardly at all. In which case the GPU is only 60% UTILIZED, but i'm still GPU CONSTRAINED. If the CPU is well thread for background tasks and so is 95% utilized, that is no proof at all, and not even indicative, that the FPS is in any way constrained by the CPU. These are massively parallel operations, "utilization" is not indicative of "constrained" at all. To extend that to the ridiculous, I could be single threaded, utterly constrained, and showing 0.1% utilization on a 1000 core machine.

It would be right to say the game is not properly optimized yet (and Frontier are saying exactly that) - but it may be GPU optimization that must improve if the frame rate is low BECAUSE the code is not effectively threaded to render the frames. reducing CPU usage would make zero difference in that case. Provided the priority CPU threads are telling the GPU threads WHAT to render fast enough, telling them faster won't help at all if the GPU threads cannot do the rendering as fast as the CPU is providing them. so, the CPU has time to go off and run other simulation coolness on low priority threads without impacting frame rate.

Top Bottom