drive tyres lift hill?

On a coaster when using drive tyres for the lift hill, I can see you can set the acceleration, speed, and height but can't seem to get them to turn on. Nothing happens when the coaster passes over them, what am I missing?

Make sure you set the Target speed and Acceleration rate in the settings (cog) > "More" button.

CxwNbfV.jpg

^ yes thanks see my first post, I did set those, you can also double click or single click on the drive tyres icon to get the setting menu to come up. I was using the sprint coaster, I see you used a different one. I don't think they can be used on inclines I guess, I always thought drive tyres (tires) could be used to propel a coaster up an small incline though. They do appear to work on a flat piece of track so I was mistaken about that initially.

Last edited:
Hmmmmm nope not working for me actually. Scrap the above. I was using the linear sync motor. That works for getting it up a hill. Must still be in progress or I'm also using it wrong.

thanks I just assumed I was using it wrong too, reporting in the bugs section as I did not see it on the known issue list.

I just posted about this specific coaster lol. I couldn't get the coaster to go up a hill at all. It just occurred to me though to set the start of the track to dive underground to build up speed instead of climbing at first.

Drive tires are not always designed to pull a train uphill. Some coasters in PC have a "lift hill" part that uses drive tires. The normal "drive tires" section should only really be used for level transport track. Though I do think they should at least be able to handle an small incline. Funnily enough, while the chain-lift animates, albeit out-of-sync, the drive tires don't animate, and have the chain sound.

This is something I also noticed. Was so excited to see they have a drive tire lifthill, but the chain sound was so dissapointing... I was ready for some squeaky wheel sounds [tongue]!!!

The non-animating tyres might explain why the launch version isn't working - some issue with the simulation/code so the lift tyres have been replaced in code with chains for the time being while the visual is left as tyres.

I think patch notes would have helped set expectations as it's fine things aren't working but I think everyone's been a bit confused about this along with a couple of other things as it's selectable in game but just doesn't work.

Drive tires are not always designed to pull a train uphill. Some coasters in PC have a "lift hill" part that uses drive tires. The normal "drive tires" section should only really be used for level transport track. Though I do think they should at least be able to handle an small incline. Funnily enough, while the chain-lift animates, albeit out-of-sync, the drive tires don't animate, and have the chain sound.

I'm hoping they put in more launched lift hill options at some point. The Hulk at Universal Islands actually uses drive tyres not to just lift the train up the hill, but also to accelerate to 40mph on a 30% incline!

Admittedly they consume a huge amount of power while doing this!

I built a Launch Coaster with the LSM successfully. You need to set the LSM a the options to a high speed. But that's not enough. As faster you want it as longer the LSV track needs to be. As in real Coasters the LSM pulls the train on a long track.

For example see:
[video=youtube;AfBBq04ZScE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfBBq04ZScE[/video]

Last edited:
I built a Launch Coaster with the LSM successfully. You need to set the LSM a the options to a high speed. But that's not enough. As faster you want it as longer the LSV track needs to be. As in real Coasters the LSM pulls the train on a long track.

For example see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfBBq04ZScE

Except that is not an LSM system on Kinda Ka. It use's a hydraulic launch system. The same system used on Rita at Alton Tower, Stealth at Thorpe Park and Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point.

The thing you see pulling the train along the track in that video is the catch car, that is connected to a cable loop which is connected to a drum, which in turn is connected to huge nitrogen tanks. When the launch starts, the nitrogen displaces hydraulic fluid in the tanks which makes the large drum spin extremely fast. This then pulls the catch car along.

An LSM system has no moving parts, and certainly no catch car. It is all done with electromagnetism.

KingdaHydraulic1.jpg

In this picture of Kinda Ka's launch room, you can see the nitrogen tanks on the far left and right, the cable drum reel in the middle and all the hydraulic cables that connect the tanks to the drum. Very very different to a LSM system. On the top right you can even see the cable loop going out towards the launch track, which connects directly to the catch car. These systems are much more efficient for high speeds than LSM. Infact the worlds top 3 fastest rollercoaster's are all hydraulic launch systems, with Formula Rossa talking the number one stop. The only company to manufacture these rides with hydraulic systems is Intamin.

Last edited:
I love the mechanics behind these rides and how they work. That's really wild! Been on Top Thrill and Kingda Ka and still think Top Thrill is better. But the way the rides work is impressive!

I love the mechanics behind these rides and how they work. That's really wild! Been on Top Thrill and Kingda Ka and still think Top Thrill is better. But the way the rides work is impressive!

Unfortunately they are a mechanical nightmare and prone to a lot of issues. Dragster was down for two days straight this week, they managed to get it open 15 minutes till close last night, thankfully they kept it open for an hour after the park closed to let people get rides in.

Except that is not an LSM system on Kinda Ka. It use's a hydraulic launch system. The same system used on Rita at Alton Tower, Stealth at Thorpe Park and Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point.

The thing you see pulling the train along the track in that video is the catch car, that is connected to a cable loop which is connected to a drum, which in turn is connected to huge nitrogen tanks. When the launch starts, the nitrogen displaces hydraulic fluid in the tanks which makes the large drum spin extremely fast. This then pulls the catch car along.

An LSM system has no moving parts, and certainly no catch car. It is all done with electromagnetism.

http://f.tqn.com/y/themeparks/1/S/q/H/KingdaHydraulic1.jpg

In this picture of Kinda Ka's launch room, you can see the nitrogen tanks on the far left and right, the cable drum reel in the middle and all the hydraulic cables that connect the tanks to the drum. Very very different to a LSM system. On the top right you can even see the cable loop going out towards the launch track, which connects directly to the catch car. These systems are much more efficient for high speeds than LSM. Infact the worlds top 3 fastest rollercoaster's are all hydraulic launch systems, with Formula Rossa talking the number one stop. The only company to manufacture these rides with hydraulic systems is Intamin.

I would like to see these hydraulic systems implemented within the game, somehow. I am not saying the mechanics should work perfectly, but to have the hydraulic pipes and 'scenery' would be pretty cool. It would add to the realism of your ride.

Top Bottom