General / Off-Topic How to set up Twitch? need help!

hello guys, is there anyone who is professional in twitch streams and give me a good answer why I cant stream up? I have an Intel i5 and 16GB ram and a internet speed of 200mbits down and 20mbits up. I am sitting here for hours starting and stopping a stream and try to watch it on my phone, my laptop and PC. sometimes it starts the stream and then freezes. sometimes i see a scene from the game sometime a black screen.

what i want is to stream the best quality which is possible for me and try to download the files later for editing.

I changed the resolution from 1280x720 up to 1650x1050(native)
I changed bit rate from 2500 up to 3500 ---- nothing changed
I change the CPU quality from ultra fast till very fast ---- nothing changed
I activated constant bit rate and deactivated --- nothing changed

I have done all combinations ---- nothing changed

weeks ago i had no problems by streaming. something i don't know is stopping me from streaming

7FKmg6o.jpg

Brett C

Frontier
First up, run a speed test, I personally use http://speedtest.dslreports.com - very reliable compared to speedtest.net. We need to know your upstream speed that you are actually getting, not what you're paying for. Sometimes, your ISP can have some serious network congestion really screwing around with the quality of a live stream.

Secondly, do you have an nvidia card that has proper NVENC encoder support? This is what my OBS studio settings look like: https://i.imgur.com/6TOiRHH.png (thats with NVENC)

NVENC simply put off-loads the CPU load that the x264 encoder causes. NVENC is its own standalone encoder, much like x264. I find NVENC much better to stream and record with simply due to it using the GPU rather CPU to capture from. Granted, it does slightly increase GPU load while active.

Do make note, at last check, non-partner twitchTV channels are capped to 3500kbps speeds to their ingest servers. Buffer size generally does need to be double that of your bitrate.

Your video ratio needs to generally be in 16:9 or 16:10. Below is a quick listing of some common ratios of 16:9, and 16:10.

16:9 aspect ratio resolutions: 1024×576, 1152×648, 1280×720, 1366×768, 1600×900, 1920×1080, 2560×1440 and 3840×2160.
16:10 aspect ratio resolutions: 1280×800, 1440×900, 1680×1050, 1920×1200 and 2560×1600.

Capture FPS needs to be one of the following: 29, 30, 60.

On x264, changing the CPU mode of the x264 capture settings is a bad idea. Anything above fast, and you will experience serious CPU throttling issues.
On CPU usage preset, you should only use fast, faster, veryfast or superfast. I've never poked at ultrafast, but if it's anything like superfast - there generally will be artifacting, and lots of it.
Using medium, slow, slower, veryslow and placebo are not a good idea, those cause the CPU usage to go 100%.

Like i Said above my speed is 200 mbits down and 20 mbits up and around 10ms latency.

I got a amd ati card! But I heard on a lot of YouTube videos that the graphics codec isn't good for streaming. It tested it and it wasn't that big thing.

But what didn't do was to increase buffer like you said up to 7000.

I will try it later. Could it be that the problem causes from twitch itself? Or the server? I'm using Frankfurt server!

Brett C

Frontier
Like i Said above my speed is 200 mbits down and 20 mbits up and around 10ms latency.

I got a amd ati card! But I heard on a lot of YouTube videos that the graphics codec isn't good for streaming. It tested it and it wasn't that big thing.

But what didn't do was to increase buffer like you said up to 7000.

I will try it later. Could it be that the problem causes from twitch itself? Or the server? I'm using Frankfurt server!

Could you run a speed test though? To be precise, i'm curious about bufferbloat, and general performance of your line. For example, you can see a speedtest i did via DSLReports on my cell phone: http://speedtest.dslreports.com/speedtest/3995932 from this past may. You can see quite the variances on the speeds vs bufferbloat and jitter.

As for AMD/ATI cards, they don't have NVENC, or something to the same likes there of. So you're stuck with x264. NVENC vs x264 is negligible on performance output. NVENC is GPU capture, x264 is CPU based processing capture.

Buffer / padding to 7000 allows for cushion when your ISP, your machine or the remote host is having bandwidth issues, allows for some back filling or bursting if required. [happy]

I don't know where you're at in the world, if TwitchTV has an Amsterdam server, use that - better peering/routing due to the AMS-IX to the globe.

Brett C

Frontier
Bufferbloat simply put is bad quality of service or a networking device not setup correctly.

I am also seeing a slight amount of packet loss to the germany speed test server used. Which would denote a bit of network congestion.

Have you attempted to stream to another host (ex: youtube) just to see if it's a twitch.tv only thing?

i have connected my computer over cable with my network hub which is connected to my fritzbox 6490 modem. Could this be the reason for the connection issue? Btw. If I remember correct, before the 6490 I had the 6320 and there were less problems with the liquid streams. My thoughts.

Hm I didn't try YouTube for streams but I mean that streams aren't allowed for Germany user. I have to check this later

Brett C

Frontier
i have connected my computer over cable with my network hub which is connected to my fritzbox 6490 modem. Could this be the reason for the connection issue? Btw. If I remember correct, before the 6490 I had the 6320 and there were less problems with the liquid streams. My thoughts.

Hm I didn't try YouTube for streams but I mean that streams aren't allowed for Germany user. I have to check this later

Wait wait, you're streaming over a wifi connection originally and recently swapped back to wired? [woah]

Brett C

Frontier
With the slight increase in speed, might be a good idea to look at your local networking as well.

Also, still seeing the retransmitting going on. Which would denote that your ISP does have something funky going on with routing/quality of service. There isn't much you can do on that part outside of using a server or a different service that isn't in the same country as you if you're having lots of buffering and laggyness on the stream.

I have called my provider and told them that I have bad latency on my upload and that it was better before the upgrade from 50/2 to 200/20 and that I'm not satisfied. They told that there are generally known problems since few days and I have to wait a few days till Wednesday. When it's still there my problem, they will send me someone to check my individual connections here at home

Brett C

Frontier
I have called my provider and told them that I have bad latency on my upload and that it was better before the upgrade from 50/2 to 200/20 and that I'm not satisfied. They told that there are generally known problems since few days and I have to wait a few days till Wednesday. When it's still there my problem, they will send me someone to check my individual connections here at home

hah, sounds all too common with the ISP i have here in the States actually!

Seems like this ISP I use never has enough capacity at the upstream routers/peering points, and it's on the "we'll fix it soon" list, noting that customers have VDSL2 and fiber connections that are 40mbps, 100mbps, 1gbps, etc... [haha]

I have called my provider again, and the guy at the end of the phones told me that cant do anything to solve the upload latency, the only thing which I could were changing the dns server on my computer network settings.

how can I do that and is maybe a problem of my onboard network card? I mean would it be better to put in a new stand-alone card? but weeks ago a could stream without problem before changing or upgrading from 50 Mbit to 200. do have an idea?

Brett C

Frontier
I have called my provider again, and the guy at the end of the phones told me that cant do anything to solve the upload latency, the only thing which I could were changing the dns server on my computer network settings.

how can I do that and is maybe a problem of my onboard network card? I mean would it be better to put in a new stand-alone card? but weeks ago a could stream without problem before changing or upgrading from 50 Mbit to 200. do have an idea?

Changing the DNS won't fix latency/routing issues though. Common myth. [knockout]

Other option is getting a new modem?

I have got a fritzbox 6490 cable modem. And I have called them today and explained that my upload latency is to high and if they got help for me. I have send them a support diagnostic txt. They look at it and will answer me tomorrow. I'm thinking about to install back my windows 7 copy. This should be the last solution

I am getting frustrated now. I have installed windows 10 clean and all my apps and tried again but nothing changed. I don't know what to do.

I am getting frustrated now. I have installed windows 10 clean and all my apps and tried again but nothing changed. I don't know what to do.

I also have a 20Mbits upload and I can stream without problems. So I don't think it's the connection, what version of OBS are you using? You seem to have some new version or?

I'm using obs studio 0.13 but today I have installed version 0.15.2.
All the problems started after upgrading my internet from 50 Download and 3 upload to 200 and 20. Before that I used a fritzbox 6320 cable modem and now I'm using a fritzbox 6490 cable modem.
I have called avm for solution. But they couldn't help me.

Top Bottom