Something i don't like so far

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
The coasters look proportionately too thin for them to look all that structurally solid.

Also why do they have the jagged look like RCT 3 did which is an ancient game? I just find the coasters currently don't look good. Here is an example:

http://i.imgur.com/cOy9VzY.jpg

I'm aware it's still in development, thats why i highlight it now to make sure Frontier don't move on until they get the coasters to look better.

well i dont like your Screenshot eigther, but for me that is just a "not so good" (feel free to replace this quote) building of the coaster that makes it unrealistic. i have seen those vids and other sreens where those coasters just look great :)

How often do you go up close like that while playing and managing the park?
At a distance, that won't be so visible.

In general though, it looked like some parts of the last dev diary was set to lower settings.

In general though, it looked like some parts of the last dev diary was set to lower settings.
Yep, I agree.

I immediately said to myself "It's just a DevDiary, it's totally normal, do not panic, this is not the final game", but you are right.

Can't say I noticed it myself, I will check it out again. I did notice how smooth the animations all looked though

:)

The coasters look proportionately too thin for them to look all that structurally solid.

Also why do they have the jagged look like RCT 3 did which is an ancient game? I just find the coasters currently don't look good. Here is an example:

http://i.imgur.com/cOy9VzY.jpg

I'm aware it's still in development, thats why i highlight it now to make sure Frontier don't move on until they get the coasters to look better.
Frontier isn't going to show anything in a Dev Dairy and they first build the game and than comes the frames. So probably on the highest level of detail they can't record a nice video.

Frontier isn't going to show anything in a Dev Dairy and they first build the game and than comes the frames. So probably on the highest level of detail they can't record a nice video.

Nope. They can barely manage on medium? setting. The in-game gameplay in the dev diaries was running at anywhere between 15-40FPS.
I don't mind the somewhat jagged bends, the thing that bugs me the most is the coaster physics- the trains are clearly moving way too fast. It reminds me of those K'nex coasters.
[video=youtube;K7XNzQlw7tY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7XNzQlw7tY[/video]

Last edited:
Ben Dowie from Frontier's development team has commented on the speed of the coaster and advised that it was down to "overzealous" coaster building...

Complex computer graphics are made up from a mesh of triangles called polygons, these have straight edges, not curved.. A more realistic curved surface requires more polygons, to give the illusion that the surface is smooth, more polygons will affect system performance... In a simulation game such as Planet Coaster the amount of polygons on the screen at any one time will be staggering... To have realistic smooth curves everywhere would take a huge amount of computer processing power. Unless you are Michael Bay you probably won't have a computer powerful enough to run it all. Frontier will be attempting to make a game that appeals to a wide audience, not just those with super computers.

Saying that, Planet Coaster is hardly what I would call low-poly!

Last edited:
Nope. They can barely manage on medium? setting. The in-game gameplay in the dev diaries was running at anywhere between 15-40FPS.
I don't mind the somewhat jagged bends, the thing that bugs me the most is the coaster physics- the trains are clearly moving way too fast. It reminds me of those K'nix coasters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7XNzQlw7tY

Read this from Ben Dowie

The coaster builder UI is incomplete and allows us to do things we shouldn't be able to. It currently allows us to put any car on any track, including any number of cars up to a maximum. Don't worry just an innocent oversight during video capturing. The range and realism of the tracks planned is second to none.

The other comment I keep seeing is the coaster looks to be running really fast. That's just overzealous track building. We've all been there! :)

Keep up the good work and thanks again for all your kind words. The team do read the forum and it's a constant source of motivation for everyone.

How often do you go up close like that while playing and managing the park?
At a distance, that won't be so visible.

All the time.. did you not play RCT 3, to build any decent park you go up close. Plus you ride the rides so of course you'd be close.

The coasters are what i'm most worried about right now. They just don't seem real.

It's still in production phase :) Ben said this:

The coaster builder UI is incomplete and allows us to do things we shouldn't be able to. It currently allows us to put any car on any track, including any number of cars up to a maximum. Don't worry just an innocent oversight during video capturing. The range and realism of the tracks planned is second to none.

The other comment I keep seeing is the coaster looks to be running really fast. That's just overzealous track building. We've all been there! :)

Keep up the good work and thanks again for all your kind words. The team do read the forum and it's a constant source of motivation for everyone.

I think the coasters look great. I wish they would stop showing us mix matched coaster cars and coaster types. They did show us the corkscrew coaster on the corkscrew track in dev diary 3 though and it looked pretty good. I also noticed the choppy tracks when I saw dev diary three and it annoyed me a lot at first. It still annoys me, but I think it's something that they will fix. That wasn't even the complete alpha and we don't even know if that's their latest build of the game.

Last edited:
Frontier have not really dwelled much on the coasters, at this point in time, but I don't think we will have to wait too long before we see a dev diary that will cover them in more detail. I think we are in for some very nice coaster types before the final release, although we might not get all of them for the Early Access. which is only eight weeks away at the latest. There is still a lot to do yet and no doubt for those of us who have bought the EA, will get updated as and when new rides etc are ready. All we can do is wait and see, Frontier are putting a lot of effort into this game and their aim is to make it the best possible game that they can make. It may not be perfect at early access and there will be faults, that is one reason for letting us share an early access, so things about the game can be noted, reported on, then improved and put right. Those who have it, will in effect be helping to test the game, as well as enjoying it.

Last edited:
I do hope that we get a full Dev Diary all about coasters but that's definitely for a later time. I'm hoping for all the big B&Ms & Intamins (Inverted, Wing, Hyper, Sitting, Stand-up, Flying, etc) plus a few Vekomas, Arrow, RMC types.

The only thing I don't like so far is how fast the coasters were zipping through the track in the dev diaries...thought that was a bit unreleastic....

Honestly there's nothing else bad I can say about the game

Sawyer1

Planet Coaster Ambassador
pvc.png

I really think you are making a panic over a possible lower graphical setting... because these look stunning.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom