Real World Theme Parks Theme-Park games - The worst and best

Alors mesdames et messieurs,

I think all of us played at least one themepark-management game before...So my question is, what's your favorite one, what's your least favorite.
Here's a list of all (at least I think so) themepark-management games out there on the market (only classical theme-parks (no zoos, dinosaur-parks or browser/ free-to-play stuff):

1994: Theme Park
1999: Rollercoaster Tycoon, Theme Park World aka. SimTheme Park, Legoland
2001: Theme Park Inc. aka Sim Coaster aka Theme Park Manager
2002: Rollercoaster Tycoon 2, Rollercoaster World
2004: Rollecoaster Tycoon 3
2005: Thrillville
2007: Thrillville: Off the Rails, Ride! Carnival Tycoon, Theme Park DS
2012: Rollercoaster Tycoon 3DS
2013: Adventure Park

I've only played Rollercoaster Tycoon 1 to 3, Theme Park World...and Ride! Carnival Tycoon...so, here's my TOP 5 ;)

From BEST to WORST

1: Rollercoaster Tycoon
The first Rollercoaster Tycoon is one of my all-time favorite games. I've played it first, when I was at the age of 10 years, and I still remember how fascinated I was by the game. I can't describe the atmosphere of it, but I'll always remember the great designed scenarios like "Diamond Heights", "Evergreen Gardens", Bumply Beach" etc., Rct1 still remains the best coaster-game to me. The scenarios are challanging (at least the were for my 10 years old self) and they were full of nice details. A great game, which has aged pretty well. A masterpiece. 5 points (out of 5)

2: Rollercoaster Tycoon 3
With a huge, HUGE amount of rides, deco-elements and features, RCT3 is the biggest theme-park management game of all time. The possibilities to create a themepark are nearly limitless... Rct3 is still - after all these years - an absoluely beautiful game... and lives up to this day (thanks to great designers and creators of cso, cfo etc.)
The only negative-point I can make is, that the scenarios are pretty boring. 5/5 points

3: Theme Park World
Even if Theme Park World lacked the depth of the RCT-series, the presentation was much superior. The style was great and funny, the possibilities to ride your own rides, walk through your own park, and to visit other peoples parks online, where great new features. There was so much creativity and charme in this game, I like it till today. It was a good game, but it was a bit too short and - like said before, it lacked depth and design-features. 3,5/5 points

4: Rollercoaster Tycoon 2
I know, for the most people rct 2 is the best one of the series...but I wasn't that excited when it was released (bought it years later). The graphics are the same as in the predecessor - it feels a bit like an add-on, but there are more rides and building-tools, as tools to create your own scenarios etc. But, maybe I've played it too late, I've never played it as much as Rct 1 and Rct 3...the scenarios were pretty boring too. 3/5 points

5: Ride! Carnival Tycoon
Bought it for one euro (and even that was too much). An ugly, boring "budget-game" which is full of bugs. One of the worst games I've ever played. Trash 0/5 points

So, now it's your turn. What's your favorite Theme Park Management game?

"Sorry, I've opened this thread in the wrong section. Can someone of the mods move it to the off-topic section, please ;)"

Last edited:

Sawyer1

Planet Coaster Ambassador
For management , RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 is my favourite. For the overall package, RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 is my favourite and still play it endlessly. I dunno it's difficult, I think park builders should be put into categories. For example, Thrilville: Off The Rails would be the best personally for say, the feeling of being at a theme park!

But as said, RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 for the complete package!

The only Theme Park games I have played are RCT1, RCT2 and RCT3.

I still occasionally use RCT3 with both expansion packs and a load of UGC stuff, but when I download my Early Bird edition of Planet Coaster, I will put RCT3 to bed, but I have had many years of pleasure from this game.

i did not want to offend you, i just though those both games are worth to be mentioned, cause i like them :D

@ Micha

I've never thought that you offended me ;)
Of course, Parkitect looks really good...and openrct...is it something like " CorsixTH" for Theme Hospital. Or is it a stand-alone game?

Last edited:
@ Micha

I've never thought that you've offended me ;)
Of course, Parkitect looks really good...and openrct...is it something like " CorsixTH" for Theme Hospital. Or is it a stand-alone game?

OpenRCT2 in short

The OpenRCT2 project recreates the classic hit RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 into open-source code, expanding the game with new features, fixing original bugs and raising game limits. Several notable improvements over RCT2 are: Multiplayer co-op, cheat menu, language support.Development started on April 2nd 2014 by Ted 'IntelOrca' John. Thanks to numerous contributions from others the OpenRCT2 project is making great progress. An installation of RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 is required in order to play. RCT2, with expansions, is cheap nowadays and can be bought from G2A, GOG and Steam.

Source : https://openrct2.org/

Last edited:
I have wanted rct2 for mobile so maybe they will release openrct2 to ios then the long flight to japan will be rescued. lol.

You forgot the piece of... that is RCT3D for 3DS.
I sadly have the game. It seriously horrible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2nhnl9ERIE

You are basically restricted to a really LOW number of pieces in each park. So for example, coasters can only have 20 pieces (or something like that, i dont remember the exact number), you can only have like 10 rides placed in the map at the same time, and like 20 park elements (and that includes trash cans and benches mixed up with decorations). Basically, you CANT buld a functioning park. Theres no water rides. The game is BAD.

You also forgot Theme Park DS. But thats actually fun to play and an expanded port from the orginal theme park.

Last edited:
There's an RCT game for the 3DS!? I have to get it!
You forgot the piece of... that is RCT3D for 3DS.
I sadly have the game. It seriously horrible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2nhnl9ERIE

You are basically restricted to a really LOW number of pieces in each park. So for example, coasters can only have 20 pieces (or something like that, i dont remember the exact number), you can only have like 10 rides placed in the map at the same time, and like 20 park elements (and that includes trash cans and benches mixed up with decorations). Basically, you CANT buld a functioning park. Theres no water rides. The game is BAD.

Hmm... Nevermind.

anyone else remember this?
51X44CDJ3ZL.jpg

My order is:

RCT2-RCT1-RCT3

Of course I got all like "wow amazeballs" when I first got introduced to RCT demo, but overall I prefer RCT2.
(sorry Frontier) but RCT3 was too buggy for me and I hated the terraforming and the clunky ui. BUT I absolutely loved the on-ride! I made lots of beautiful coasters and decorated the crap out of them to make nice videos. :) This was way back in time. I played Soaked (Liked!) and Wild (not so much) too.

At that time RCt3 won but now I go for RCT2 because it is so classic to me and easy to come back and get going in seconds as if no time has passed.
Plus I also feel it is more in the depth and well polished and running like butter smooth.

Last edited:
RCT3 is the only one I've played in depth (I purchased RCT1/2 but got tired of them after like 10 minutes) but I think it's the best. That title will probably be passed to Planet Coaster when it comes out though.

Played RCT1, RCT2, RCT3, Theme Park World and Parkitect. Had fun in all of them. But Planet Coaster will blow them all away! :D

WingardiumLevicoaster

Volunteer Moderator
I would struggle to pick between RCT3 and RCT2 for my favourite. They are so different and have their own merits. I still play both. I don't play RCT1 anymore as 2 is quite similar.

I have played Theme Park a lot, but not when it came out. I used to watch my brother play it and he would never let me play. Probably in around 2002 I got a second hand Sega Saturn with Theme Park. I was already a RCT fan by then, but I didn't have unlimited access to my family PC to play and there was nostalgia involved.

I have played Theme park World too, but after playing RCT, it just wasn't as good to me.
Jurrasic Park, Operation Genesis was fun to play for a couple of weeks too. [tongue]

Top Bottom