Community Event / Creation New Horizons & Distant Suns (an explorers journey)

Route taken in Parts 6, 7, and 8...

28vu7vq.jpg

Fantastic videos Erimus, I've been following them since you first started posting them and every one is a real treat. Very well put together, and your musical choices really work (and now I need to go listen to more Stellardrone).

Part 10 - Passing through the Hypou Briae Nebula

[video=youtube;ojgtDDDUaUA]
]Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojgtDDDUaUA[/video]

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Fantastic videos Erimus, I've been following them since you first started posting them and every one is a real treat. Very well put together, and your musical choices really work (and now I need to go listen to more Stellardrone).

Last edited:
Quite an inspiring series, Erimus. Keep it up as long as that canopy holds out! I now have this uncomfortable vision of air slowly escaping out an ever-widening spiderweb of cracks.

Thanks for giving us a journey more of us will hopefully one day make and thanks to Frontier for creating a game in which such a journey is possible.

Cheers.

Quite an inspiring series, Erimus. Keep it up as long as that canopy holds out! I now have this uncomfortable vision of air slowly escaping out an ever-widening spiderweb of cracks.

Thanks for giving us a journey more of us will hopefully one day make and thanks to Frontier for creating a game in which such a journey is possible.

Cheers.

Cheers Papillon :)

Amazing journey, how long did it take you? Did you do a full scan of all the systems or just the interesting parts?

It took about 5 weeks altogether, although I got stuck for a few days in some broken sectors just after the 5th video and game support returned me back home! My character was corrupted and I lost all my data to that point, along with the stats and rep I'd gained. Basically the bug reset me and I then had to retrace my steps back to where I left off once the issue was fixed! Not a happy time LOL.

So you might notice a few continuity errors with my ships hull % between videos 1 to 5, and 6 to 12, as the second half of the journey was completed after the technical issues were fixed in update 1.05. ;)

I didn't do a full scan on all the systems, just the interesting ones.

Two questions:

Where did you ruin your canopy? :D

and

After part 12, was there no star left to jump to?

I can't remember where the canopy cracked. I think it was when I was trying to get some video footage in-between a triple star system. I got over cooked and lost some hull doing that :eek:

Re: #12... There were a few more stars further out but they were too far to jump to, averaging over 40 light years apart. So that was the end of the line for me.

Last edited:
Seriously incredible work. First making that distance but producing such jaw dropping vidoes along the way is quite an accomplishment.

That white star with the rings, and flying through the belt is the most amazing thing I've seen in Elite Dangerous so far.

Are there any stations/outposts out that side of the milkyway or is it all uninhabited?

A few people asked me to create some sort of story arc to conclude this series. So I put together a transcript that's a bit ambiguous and open ended as the Praei3 sectors I ended up at seem to have intrigued players on what will eventually be placed there (if anything).

Anyway, here it is...

Distant Suns Epilogue

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Seriously incredible work. First making that distance but producing such jaw dropping vidoes along the way is quite an accomplishment.

That white star with the rings, and flying through the belt is the most amazing thing I've seen in Elite Dangerous so far.

Are there any stations/outposts out that side of the milkyway or is it all uninhabited?

Cheers Strikyr :)

There's nothing beyond the frontier, just 64,000 light years of space and nowhere to dock (yet!) ;)

Last edited:
Amazing both the videos and the perseverance to do the journey!
If anyone should meet an alien race in the game it should be you. FD should arrange that, maybe you end up the first trusted human after the first encounter.
Congrats and well done!

I have been playing since launch as a bounty hunter. Slowly making my way through the galaxy and I now have a top-spec Viper. I was happy. But then I saw this.

Last night I bought an Adder and decided to trade my way to the fringe of civilised space before heading out into the void. Thanks for inspiring me to do something different. :)

A 43,000 LY Rendezvous on the far side of the Galaxy

CMDR R4nger0
Mission : Crossing the Galaxy in a Sidewinder

CMDR Kamzel
Mission : Returning home from the Distant Suns expedition

Both pilots crossed paths on their journeys in opposite directions.
The rendezvous system was jointly surveyed by both CMDRs in a hope that one day, if we both made it home again, our names would be forever associated with "Rendezvous Point" (EACTAINDS GN-W C1-6)

[video=youtube;aEO6tQlmD2c]
]Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEO6tQlmD2c[/video]

Last edited:
Distant Suns - Journey's End

[video=youtube;ogXdZ_QWIeE]
]Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogXdZ_QWIeE[/video]

Distant Suns

Expedition info:

• The journey took 10 weeks to complete (Dec. 16th - Feb. 22nd).
  • The ship traveled approximately 144,000 light years.
  • It was heavily damaged on three occasions. The first when jumping into a red giant binary pair 50,000 LYs from Sol, the second when jumping into a contact binary system on the galactic outer rim, and the third when getting a little too close to the supermassive black hole, Sagittarius A* during the return trip.
  • For the final 27,000 light years of the journey the ship was flown with safety as a priority (no more surveying was conducted), as the hull integrity was down to 14% and the cockpit canopy was on the verge of collapse with 95% structural damage.
  • Due to the limited amount of surveying on the return trip, the total payout from stellar cartographics amounted to just under 30 million credits.

The DSS Beagle remains unrepaired and will never be flown again.

The entire Distant Suns expedition was conducted in Open Play.

Last edited:
Top Bottom