The GLFrontier Thread

Ok, I am impressed, firstly, you read in that thread that I was learning German, I said that in German !!!! Also, yes I got the translation wrong, as you point out, but if you look at my post again, what I've done is run what he said through Google translate, which itself has mangled the translation and I've gone and mangled it a bit further because obviously Google hasn't messed it up enough ! :D

So I will happily allow you to correct me, I am learning German, but my German isn't good enough yet to shun Google Translate forever, but I've been told that even though I've only been learning German for a week now, I'm as good as Google is. Doesn't say much for Google Translate !

Hey, at least I went and got an answer for him !

Last edited:
To be fair, Dutch is basically a cross between English and German, with loads of unneccesary vowels thrown in for good measure.

*Prepares to be flamed!*
Dutch? I never go Dutch, I always support myself :D

*Stands next to Turwhitt for a flaming*

unfortunately the big saltshaker placed me in switzerland, but i'm a legal alien in switzerland. they call themselfes "secondos", born in switzerland, but still foreigners and have the nationality of their parents, in my case german.

i attempted once to translate FE2, useless i know, there is a german version (bad translated), but those days unreachable for me anyway.

GL Frontier is not open source as i understand it. the program runs a atari version of FE2.
the problem is mainly that spaces needed for certain phrases are complete different in german to english.
as long as you can't change addresses of the strings you can't change length or position (further that would shift all following i guess).
another problem is that phrases are sometimes constructed from several parts.

so finally one can say, better learn the few words english needed for FE2 :smilie:

if you like GL frontier, why don't run PC Frontier under DOS-box, or AMIGA CD32 version with i.e. WinUAE?

Last edited:
Strange, we dutch have all the games in original language dito menus
Except a dutch version of manuals.
That all the localisation we need.

I use the original subtitels in english not dutch wenn viewing a movie.
Also animated movies in original voice.
In dutch it just sound so different.

Also some games are first released in germany.
So got a german X2 and a ARMA etc.

My english not so good. But can read it and write it a bit. And speaking is trouble some for me.
German i can read but not write it don't speak it.

Berliner = Berliner to eat one your a canibal.
Berliner bol I like to eat.

Strange, we dutch have all the games in original language dito menus
Except a dutch version of manuals.
That all the localisation we need.

to me that's lazy nintendo type localisation, they make games for children translate only the manual in from a bad translated english to a even worse german (or whatever language) and assume that 9 year old kids should understand english subtitles to a chinese game.

great!

i miss times when games was proper localised, game, speech, subtitles and manual of course.

i have to agree, the sounds suck, I tried to edit some of them with my own sound library, but its hard torying to assign a better sound when I don't know hat half of them are, and some of the new sounds i have added don't register in game. if i had a list of what each sound does I could make a proper audio make over including music

i have to agree, the sounds suck, I tried to edit some of them with my own sound library, but its hard torying to assign a better sound when I don't know hat half of them are, and some of the new sounds i have added don't register in game. if i had a list of what each sound does I could make a proper audio make over including music

if you do, post a link for us all to download them please?:cool:

well so far i have added an awesome sound for the airlock doors when they open and close on space stations and a few other sounds, yet If anyone can give me the full correct list of wav files and what they are assigned to I can work on it right away and upload the finished product. there are 33 sounds in total named sfx_00 to sfx_32

Last edited:
GLFrontier: Can't find the photograph misson target

Hello,

So much fun to play Frontier again. I've tried the OpenGL remake glfrontier.
But on my first few tries to do a photograph mission the grey little dot doesn't seem to be there on the destination planet. Has anyone done these missions in glfrontier, in others words... do I do something wrong?

Anyway I'm gonna try the the normal version with dosbox.

thanks,
Chuz

Hi Chuz
Welcome to the Frontier Forum, I am unaware of such a bug in GLFrontier, but one thing you could try is saving the game before you jump to the target system and reload the game until it does appear. This trick works in FFE3D as this bug appears often in that game.
You shouldn't have any issues with the original version.

Top Bottom