Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: The Kessel Run (31.10 - 15.11)

To commemorate "Star Wars", the classic audiovisual entertainment series from the 20th and 21st century, the Buckyball Racing Club, from an idea by Ceska Zbrojovka, presents the first episode of the galactic race:

xRoITO3.png

The race is starting from George Lucas station in Leesti and ends in the Jabbah system, a few hundred lightyears outside the bubble. Between start and finish, you have to dock at every station and outpost named "Kessel" in any order you prefer.

Every waypoint must be documented by taking and submitting screenshots to the race marshalls, along with shots of the outfitting screens and a beauty-shot of your ship.

Ships and classes:

There will be three racing classes: Regulation Sidewinder, Regulation Cobra Mk III and the Open Unlimited Spec class.
The two regulation classes will be run in Solo mode. Unlimited is Open mode only.

The Regulation Sidewinder has to be kitted out as follows: Sidewinder Loadout
It can be built for less than 100Kcr, so new Commanders have a chance to participate without losing the farm. Solo is the mode of choice for this one, but not mandatory.

The Regulation Cobra Mk III: Cobra Loadout
Can be built for less than 3Mcr, so CMDRs with a bigger bankroll can have a go. This class can be flown in either Solo or Open mode.

If you want to, you can upgrade the Basic Discovery scanner and weaponry as long as the mass of the ship remains unchanged.
No other modules may be altered.

In the Open Unlimited Spec class the sky's the limit. Any ship with any loadout can participate. Make sure that your flashy racer can land at outposts. This class MUST be run in Open.

But I have 12 ships and can't make up my mind...

You can enter as many different ship types in Open Unlimited as you like, but only the ship with your fastest time is included in the leaderboard when the race is finished.
The regulation classes only allow for one entry each.

Where do I sign up ?

Reply to this thread with the following information:

CMDR (in-game) Name.
Forum Name.
Class you will be running in (Reg. Sidewinder / Reg. Cobra / Open Unlimited)
Ship type, if in Open Unlimited.
Ship Name.

Where do I fly to ?

The stations / systems in question are:

SystemCoordinatesStationArrivalType
Leesti( 73, 49, 68)George Lucas
254,52Ls​
Starport - Start line
Hanneng( -120, 45, 0 )Kessel Enterprise
1.141,34Ls​
Outpost
Latoras( -92, 86, -13 )Kessel Colony
17,98Ls​
Outpost
Dao Jungu( 24, 35, 65 )Kessel Gateway
1.464,15Ls​
Outpost
Edenapel( 6, 7, 39 )Kessel Hub
4.498,70Ls​
Outpost
HIP 18609( -16, -86, -174 )Kessel Legacy
5.460,54Ls​
Outpost
Apurarai( -47, -77, 67 )Kessel Platform
33,30Ls​
Outpost
Chediq( 112, 33, 9 )Kessel Platform
910,41Ls​
Outpost
Ba Narr( -84, -100, -26 )Kessel Port
734,71Ls​
Outpost
LHS 2936( -32, 56, 0 )Kessel Port
21,07Ls​
Outpost
HR 4749( 119, 14, 69 )Kessel Ring
950,73Ls​
Outpost
HIP 82964( -137, 97, -32 )Kessel Station
91,17Ls​
Starport
Hurusalki( -105, 93, -23 )Kessel Terminal
9.930,62Ls​
Outpost
Khodia( -99, -100, 66 )Kessel's Inheritance
5,65Ls​
Outpost
Jabbah( 38, 177, 437 )Finish lineClass B Star

I have to do screenshots ? How ?

You have to document both your ship and its equipment by taking screenshots of both the weapons and modules tabs in the outfitting screen.
You also have to document your racing time by taking screenshots on the following locations:
1. Just before pressing "Launch" in George Lucas - The clock has to be visible.
2. At every "Kessel" station and outpost you dock at. Again, the clock and station name has to be visible.
3. When you arrive in Jabbah, go into the Galaxy Map and take a screenshot. The clock and your location has to be visible.

Normally, the F10-key is bound to taking screenshots. The images are normally located in the folder /Users/YOUR_USER_NAME/Pictures/Frontier Developments/Elite Dangerous

What's this nonsense about "Beauty shots" ?

In order to maximize the return on your investment in paint jobs for your ship, you have the opportunity to send in a beauty shot of your ship together with the outfitting shots. The beauty shots are to be taken as follows:

1. Find a nice class F star in your vicinity and travel to it. Come to a complete stop as soon as you exit hyperspace and drop out of supercruise.
2. Pitch and yaw your ship, so the center of the upper edge of the scanner is aligned with the lower right quadrant of the star, as shown in the picture.
3. Enter the Debug Camera-mode and manoeuver your camera drone so it can take a screenshot of your ship from the upper left side.

Sun_position.pngBeauty_Cobra.png

So what do I do with all these pretty pictures ?

You convert all the bitmaps (.bmp) files into JPEG format to save space.

WikiHow on BMP to JPEG conversion

Then you put your images into one zip-file and mail it as an attachment together with your CMDR and ship details and calculated time to:

stern.winter@buckyballracing.org.uk

Don't delete the original screenshot files yet. In case of protests from other contestants, you have to be able to produce these .bmp files

Ok, but what's in it for me ?

You're quite the mercenary. Wonder if you really care about anything. Or anybody.

Holding first place in your class is an honor beyond measure, a reward in itself. And an assurance that you indeed are flying the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

The race starts at 00:00 GMT 31. October 3301. No runs attempted before that time will count.
All timed runs have to be submitted no later than 23:59:59 GMT 15. November 3301.

Racing boards:

Open Unlimited leaderboard

CTLOSyZ.png

Open Unlimited staging area near Sullust

j4kmXJX.png

Regulation Sidewinder leaderboard

UEiRqRx.png

Regulation Cobra Mk III leaderboard

0r0ImGT.png

George Lucas station has graciously agreed to give registered racers preferred launch priority over normal traffic. Reckless flying, however, like boosting out of the entrance, will be punished as usual.

The Kessel Run is sponsored by:

Leesti Azure Milk.png

Last edited:
Yeeeeee Haaa!

Would rep you here but repped your news story instead.

CMDR (in-game) Name:
Alec Turner
Forum Name:
Alec Turner
Class you will running in (Reg. Sidewinder / Reg. Cobra / Open Unlimited):
Open Unlimited
Ship type, if in Open Unlimited:
Cobra Mk III
Ship Name:
Mnemonic Null Fail

Last edited:
That D-rated powerplant in the regulation Cobra is pure evil... If I could change 1 part it would be that (to 3A). :)

Last edited:
That D-rated powerplant in the regulation Cobra is pure evil... If I could change 1 part it would be that (to 3A). :)

Noone is stopping you from from kitting the hell out of it - and running it in unlimited :)

Anyway, you're using less than 87%, even when deployed. Heat issues are another matter.

Last edited:

Never mind that, what about the 2D Fuel Scoop in the Sidewinder!! That's going to hurt...

For reference, my back-of-napkin estimates put the regulation Sidey at somewhere between 110 and 120 jumps... :eek:

Last edited:
Noone is stopping you from from kitting the hell out of it - and running it in unlimited :)

Anyway, you're using less than 87%, even when deployed. Heat issues are another matter.
Yes, heat issue is the issue. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Never mind that, what about the 2D Fuel Scoop in the Sidewinder!! That's going to hurt...

For reference, my back-of-napkin estimates put the regulation Sidey at somewhere between 110 and 120 jumps... :eek:
Painful! :D

I raise a toast for everyone who completes this in either regulation class. :)

Last edited:
Assuming my fuel scoop calculation script works properly, and with the numbers plugged into your route calculator...

Sidewinder: B2 fuel usage 1.50T; total 171.00T after 114 jumps; D2 scoop rate 43kg/s; 85 scoops needed; min 1988s, max 3976s scooping

Cobra: A4 fuel usage 3.00T; total 231.00T after 77 jumps; B4 scoop rate 294kg/s; 14 scoops needed; min 49s, max 785s scooping

Insert your own Star Wars quote here. Something about crying out in terror or being braver than one might have thought.

In case you missed my edit, I have decided on a ship. In honor of Han Solo (who may or may not know his parsec hand from his minute hand) and the fact that the Cobra is clearly the Millennium Falcon of Elite ...

CMDR (in-game) Name:
Alec Turner
Forum Name:
Alec Turner
Class you will running in (Reg. Sidewinder / Reg. Cobra / Open Unlimited):
Open Unlimited
Ship type, if in Open Unlimited:
Cobra Mk III
Ship Name:
Mnemonic Null Fail

And PLEASE make sure you record total distance traveled before and after your trip! Can anyone beat 12 parsec (39.12 ly) somehow :) ?

Edit: The Kessel Run was 18 parsecs (58.68 ly), Han did it in 12...

Last edited:
And PLEASE make sure you record total distance traveled before and after your trip! Can anyone beat 18 parsec (58,68 ly) somehow :) ?
Unfortunately I think that's quite impossible barring some wizardry... Jabbah is a good 300Ly+ from inhabited space :p

Also, for those of you considering an attempt in medium pad ships... I have to point out that the word "Outpost" appears no fewer than twelve times in that list of Kessels.
Those of you present for the Bump'n'Grind Outpost Dash may know why I'm pointing this out. :p

Last edited:

I did it myself in the Reg. Sidewinder. It took me more than 3h40m.

The point of the limited loadout of the Regulation ships was to keep it affordable for new and new-ish players.

I did it myself in the Reg. Sidewinder. It took me more than 3h40m.

The point of the limited loadout of the Regulation ships was to keep it affordable for new and new-ish players.

Yeah, I realise it's deliberately cheap... Crumbs, 3h40 is a long time though! (He said, whilst 63000Ly from Sol...)

Anyway, I suppose I'd better throw my hat into the ring... A medium pad ship is my favourite to win this, but having read that list of mostly-outposts, well... :D

CMDR name: Alot
Forum name: Esvandiary
Class: Open Unlimited
Ship Type: Hauler
Ship Name: Explodes on Contact

I've been waiting for this one and it's timed just right - I can get a run or two in before November arrives and NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) devours my free time completely for the whole month. I'm not sure which ship(s) to enter with so I'll register three but it would certainly be ironic if I set my best time in an Imperial fighter...
CMDR name: Edelgard von Rhein
Forum name: Edelgard von Rhein
Class: Open Unlimited
1)
Ship type: Cobra Mk3
Ship name: Null Geodesic
2)
Ship type: Imperial Eagle
Ship name: Toya
3)
Ship type: Asp Explorer
Ship name: Lukushiyon