Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: The Kessel Run (31.10 - 15.11)

LOL ... I've put one of our 16 core servers to work on route plotting using a VERY crude program I just knocked up. If my calculations are correct it's gonna take around 48hrs to spit out the optimum route. I may have to consider adding some performance tweaks to it before people start asking what this "kesselcalc" thing sat at 100% cpu in the 'top' output is!

kesselcalc.jpg

On the other hand, I kind of like it's crudeness ... I think Han would approve of its devil-may-care attitude to getting the job done :D

6fa19ba3d7e0cacc1f70f0e676e755ef.jpg

Make it multithreaded then you can burn more CPU time.

Also, Xvnc, really? We may not be in a galaxy far, far away but apparently it is a long time ago.

So is this just for bragging rights? Or is there going to be a reward? I haven't done one of these races yet so I am curious. Thanks

Make it multithreaded then you can burn more CPU time.

Also, Xvnc, really? We may not be in a galaxy far, far away but apparently it is a long time ago.
That screenshot really does look like 1977 technology. Nice one Alec :p
Sign me up for:
CMDR name: Domaq
Forum name: Domaq
Class: Open Unlimited
Ship Type: Asp
Ship Name: Space Ghost
We expect fancy leaderboards there Winter :)

I did it myself in the Reg. Sidewinder. It took me more than 3h40m.

The point of the limited loadout of the Regulation ships was to keep it affordable for new and new-ish players.

Crumbs, that's good going. It took me 3h30 in the Cobra.

CMDR name: Flash Gordon
Forum name: Jigster
Ship Name: Zarkov's Rocket

So is this just for bragging rights? Or is there going to be a reward? I haven't done one of these races yet so I am curious. Thanks
Can we do more than one class, or do we only get a single go?

Normal rules would be that you can run in multiple classes (though only one ship's times count in the Open Unlimited class), and that the race is only for bragging rights - we haven't got any funding for prizes :). Stern Winter as organiser will confirm if there are any variations to the normal rules for this race...

One other note for all participants: Examples of the required screenshots can be found on the How to Enter page of the BRC website.

In other news, I do intend to have a go myself, though probably only one or two attempts as I'm away for the first week, and need to get some preparation in for a run to Sagittarius A* at the end of November.
Cmdr Samwell Drakhyr
Open Unlimited
Diamondback Explorer
Black Maria

:)

Last edited:

Sorry for the omission. Rectified:

Ok, but what's in it for me ?

You're quite the mercenary. Wonder if you care about anything. Or anybody.

Holding first place in your class is an honor beyond measure, a reward in itself. And an assurance that you indeed are flying the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

Welcome to the Buckyball Racing Club ;)

Last edited:
Can we do more than one class, or do we only get a single go?

A fair question, now with an answer:

But I have 12 ships and can't make up my mind...

You can enter as many different ships in Open Unlimited as you like, but only the ship with your fastest time is included in the leaderboard.
The regulation classes only allow for one entry each.

Fly unsafe, CMDR :p

Crumbs, that's good going. It took me 3h30 in the Cobra.

CMDR name: Flash Gordon
Forum name: Jigster
Ship Name: Zarkov's Rocket

Welcome to the races. Looking forward to see you in Jabbah. Try optimizing the route a little.

CMDR (in-game) Name: Werher Von Kerman
Forum Name: whyistheskyblue
Class you will running in (Reg. Sidewinder / Reg. Cobra / Open Unlimited): Reg Cobra
Ship Name: Andrea

Welcome, CMDR. Great having you here.

- - - Updated - - -

CMDR Name : Reginald Meesko
Forum name: Reginald Meesko
Open unlimited
Asp Explorer
My Asp's name? The Butthole Surfer, mk.2

may the best hunk of junk win!!!!!

Welcome to the Buckyball Racing Club. May the best hunk of junk survive the docking ;)

Last edited:
Quick question. Can I change the basic discovery scanner to an advanced discovery scanner and still qualify for the regulation Cobra class? It doesn't change any stats but allows me to get more exploration data on the trip.

Quick question. Can I change the basic discovery scanner to an advanced discovery scanner and still qualify for the regulation Cobra class? It doesn't change any stats but allows me to get more exploration data on the trip.

As long as the mass of the ship isn't changed, I don't see why not. The same should apply to weaponry.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
A bit off topic, but, have you guys given a tought to how (and if) will it be possible to also organize races on the surfaces? I mean, is there a way to control if someone uses or not a ship instead of an RSV?

Last edited:
A bit off topic, but, have you guys given a tought to how (and if) will it be possible to also organize races on the surfaces? I mean, is there a way to control if someone uses or not a ship instead of an RSV?

Since David's first sneek peek I've thought about nothing else :)

There's a lot of trust in Buckyball Racing because of course there are numerous ways to cheat (although at the end of the day you're only cheating yourself). The main thing I'm hoping for SRV racing is that there are ways of getting the time to appear on screen at certain locations (currently we rely on the fact that the time is shown when docked at stations and in the galaxy map and thus can be included in the screenshots as evidence of time and place). For SRV's I'm kind of hoping that when you get to the bases they've been talking about that there will be some notion of "docking" with the base (e.g. to trade at it) and that at these moments the usual clock will appear in the HUD along with the base name.

This sounds like fun, i'm in :)

CMDR (in-game) Name:
CMDR OPANOID
Forum Name:
Chris G W
Class you will running in (Reg. Sidewinder / Reg. Cobra / Open Unlimited):
Open Unlimited
Ship type, if in Open Unlimited:
ASP
Ship Name:
Schlotts

Top Bottom