Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: The Kessel Run (31.10 - 15.11)

As long as the mass of the ship isn't changed, I don't see why not. The same should apply to weaponry.

Awesome! Think I'll switch to gimbels then, not that I think I'll use them.

Declaring my intention to race!

CMDR (in-game) Name: CMDR Kouzmous
Forum Name: Kouzmous
Class you will be running in (Reg. Sidewinder / Reg. Cobra / Open Unlimited): Reg. Cobra
Ship Name: Hot Rod

I expect surface racing to be more like traditional car racing....but with guns. Which is to say, everyone lines up at a specific time and starting location, the race starts, and whoever crosses the finish line first wins...but with guns. I imagine that the easiest courses will be specific, large craters that the racers have to circle, without ever entering the crater.

But if it had to be done asynchronously, then instead of screenshots it's going to have to be video evidence.

- - - Updated - - -

LOL ... I've put one of our 16 core servers to work on route plotting using a VERY crude program I just knocked up. If my calculations are correct it's gonna take around 48hrs to spit out the optimum route. I may have to consider adding some performance tweaks to it before people start asking what this "kesselcalc" thing sat at 100% cpu in the 'top' output is!

View attachment 70927
I'm racing you to a solution, but my calculations have only been running for less than an hour at this point. I'll be curious if we get the same result. :)

CMDR Name: CMDR JAK
Forum Name: Jhyrryl

Class : Open Unlimited
Ship Type: Hauler
Ship Name: The Mini Enigma.

Class: Reg. Cobra
Ship Name: The Macro Enigma

Class: Reg. Sidewinder
Ship Name: The Micro Enigma.

I expect surface racing to be more like traditional car racing....but with guns. Which is to say, everyone lines up at a specific time and starting location, the race starts, and whoever crosses the finish line first wins...but with guns. I imagine that the easiest courses will be specific, large craters that the racers have to circle, without ever entering the crater.
My guess is that it'll involve liberal application of low-flying spacecraft firing off railguns and lasers. That's what I'd like to see (and do), anyway. There you are in an SRV, tearing down a canyon, just shot off the leader's tire, when suddenly there's a Cobra strafing you with multicannons. I'm not sure how you'd give the racers a fighting chance, though.

This sounds like fun, i'm in :)

CMDR (in-game) Name:
CMDR OPANOID
Forum Name:
Chris G W
Class you will running in (Reg. Sidewinder / Reg. Cobra / Open Unlimited):
Open Unlimited
Ship type, if in Open Unlimited:
ASP
Ship Name:
Schlotts

Welcome aboard, CMDR.

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome! Think I'll switch to gimbels then, not that I think I'll use them.

Declaring my intention to race!

CMDR (in-game) Name: CMDR Kouzmous
Forum Name: Kouzmous
Class you will be running in (Reg. Sidewinder / Reg. Cobra / Open Unlimited): Reg. Cobra
Ship Name: Hot Rod

Your weapons. If need them, racing you will not be. Hmm ?

- - - Updated - - -

CMDR Ahuizotl Xiuhcoatl
Ahuizotl Xiuhcoatl
Reg. Sidewinder, Reg. Cobra, and Open Unlimited
Asp
Dora

Please supply pronunciation hints for your CMDR name :D

CMDR Name: CMDR JAK
Forum Name: Jhyrryl

Class : Open Unlimited
Ship Type: Hauler
Ship Name: The Mini Enigma.

Class: Reg. Cobra
Ship Name: The Macro Enigma

Class: Reg. Sidewinder
Ship Name: The Micro Enigma.

Running in all three classes. Most impressive. A very busy racer indeed. ;)

Btw, in a similar vein to the weapons question...is there any reason to disallow Regulation ships from having upgraded discovery scanners? They all weigh the same, at 2T.

Btw, in a similar vein to the weapons question...is there any reason to disallow Regulation ships from having upgraded discovery scanners? They all weigh the same, at 2T.
That was actually the question that prompted that discussion. The answer was yes, you can upgrade to an ADS since it's the same weight :)

Last edited:
CMDR Sunbart
Forum name: sunbart

Reg. Sidewinder
Name: WhatNow

Reg. Cobra
Name: OhNo

Open Unlimited
Type: Hauler
Name: ThatsBetter

I might change my mind on the Hauler and go with an Asp instead, hopefully that won't be too big of a problem. Also, according to the last (and first) race I did, I will fly all three classes, convert the screenshots, organize them nicely in folders, zip them and forget about them for a few weeks and end up with a big fat DNF :)

Either way,
Go(o)dspeed to you all,
CMDR Sunbart

CMDR Sunbart
Forum name: sunbart

Reg. Sidewinder
Name: WhatNow

Reg. Cobra
Name: OhNo

Open Unlimited
Type: Hauler
Name: ThatsBetter

I might change my mind on the Hauler and go with an Asp instead, hopefully that won't be too big of a problem. Also, according to the last (and first) race I did, I will fly all three classes, convert the screenshots, organize them nicely in folders, zip them and forget about them for a few weeks and end up with a big fat DNF :)

Either way,
Go(o)dspeed to you all,
CMDR Sunbart

Welcome to where the action is, CMDR.

LOL ... I've put one of our 16 core servers to work on route plotting using a VERY crude program I just knocked up. If my calculations are correct it's gonna take around 48hrs to spit out the optimum route. I may have to consider adding some performance tweaks to it before people start asking what this "kesselcalc" thing sat at 100% cpu in the 'top' output is!

Nice!

My i7 is running at about 350000 iterations / sec so should have the 13! done in about 5 hours. This is just one core sadly.

Anyone know how to get Python to use all CPU cores? ;)

Alec & Jigster:
Interesting to see what you calculations come up with. :)
Are you calculating the routes jump-by-jump or just straight lines from target system to target system? (that 13! reminds me of TSP and suggests the latter)

Alec & Jigster:
Interesting to see what you calculations come up with. :)
Are you calculating the routes jump-by-jump or just straight lines from target system to target system? (that 13! reminds me of TSP and suggests the latter)

Calculating jump-by-jump, but alas there was a bug in my program (as there are with all programs that run overnight) which meant I had to kick it off again this morning (although now with new-improved optimizations that crept into my head while I slept). Currently just over a 3rd of the way through.

And errr ... I'm not planning on sharing the results of my program (yet). Now, before you all hate me let me explain. Some races dictate the route, others leave the planning as part of the challenge. This is the race planner's prerogative so, in this case where route planning is all part of the fun ... who am I to spoil that element of the race by simply giving the game away.

:D

P.S. bribes accepted via pm.

Top Bottom