Horizons How to find your ship on a planetary settlement?

Hi there

Just trying out Horizons, and I've landed on a planet.... all is good.
I can 'call' my ship.

However, I'm not stuck on a planetary settlement driving around because I got disorientated and forgot where I parked my ship.

How do you find your ship?

Cheers

CMDR Cliffjumper

I wouldn't call this a bug to be honest. When you are in the hangar and driving around in your SRV, your ship is despawned as if you had dismissed it. It's a bit like logging out while docked in the hangar - when you come back you might not be in the same one you originally parked in.

What gets up my nose is that you can follow your compass back to the hangar your ship is (now) in, but if you're at a larger settlement where you could be faced with several "hangar garages" effectively side by side they all look alike - they are not even labeled. Would be nice if the orange blinkies either side of the garage entrance either only lit up on your own hangar or changed color to green (or a nice consistent Elite blue) on the entrance you are supposed to go into.

I wouldn't call this a bug to be honest. When you are in the hangar and driving around in your SRV, your ship is despawned as if you had dismissed it. It's a bit like logging out while docked in the hangar - when you come back you might not be in the same one you originally parked in.

What gets up my nose is that you can follow your compass back to the hangar your ship is (now) in, but if you're at a larger settlement where you could be faced with several "hangar garages" effectively side by side they all look alike - they are not even labeled. Would be nice if the orange blinkies either side of the garage entrance either only lit up on your own hangar or changed color to green (or a nice consistent Elite blue) on the entrance you are supposed to go into.

My problem is when I request docking in the large settlement I was in, the TICK that appeared as a response was +650 meters away from the garage I was actually supposed to go to. AND.. when I found the right garage it's not "lit up" in any way. You have to drive into it then it says you can board your ship. So, I guess I am reinforcing what you said :)

Maddening it was..

Well, there is a 80 pages thread about realism and fuel for the SRV; a ship that "disappear" to go park "somewhere in space" instead than in the hangar, could win the prize for the most illogic solution in a realistic game :)

In fact you request "landing", but you never see the ship arriving from the sky; you just get the green marker on the map. So at that point, why don't they leave the marker on the map all the time? I am fine even if I have to call out the ship from my SRV, but call the outpost to land; doesn't really make sense to me.

After all this is an instance; is not like it can break anything to put a nice arrow to indicate where the ship is.

Well, there is a 80 pages thread about realism and fuel for the SRV; a ship that "disappear" to go park "somewhere in space" instead than in the hangar, could win the prize for the most illogic solution in a realistic game :)

In fact you request "landing", but you never see the ship arriving from the sky; you just get the green marker on the map. So at that point, why don't they leave the marker on the map all the time? I am fine even if I have to call out the ship from my SRV, but call the outpost to land; doesn't really make sense to me.

After all this is an instance; is not like it can break anything to put a nice arrow to indicate where the ship is.

Not going to argue with you in any way on that. However, what seems like it happened to me is that they already had the "This ship is gone now"/"this ship needs to come back now" logic from a combo of the dismiss/recall mechanic and the stuff they already had in place for logout/login while docked and just reused it without consideration of some of the unintended consequences of that. This happens in programming all the time. It's why folks in the IT industry like me spend so much time staring at requirements, functional spec and test cases trying to figure out if implementing them is going to introduce a new edge case that we're not testing for or that will confuse users (I'm a sysadmin and analyst, so I spend a lot of time writing business requirements, the functional spec based off those requirements and the test cases to validate them. I also spend a significant portion of my work-day smacking developers with clue-bats.) It is ASTONISHINGLY easy to write code that "works" but still doesn't do what the designer originally wanted in the way they wanted it done. :)

Not going to argue with you in any way on that. However, what seems like it happened to me is that they already had the "This ship is gone now"/"this ship needs to come back now" logic from a combo of the dismiss/recall mechanic and the stuff they already had in place for logout/login while docked and just reused it without consideration of some of the unintended consequences of that. This happens in programming all the time. It's why folks in the IT industry like me spend so much time staring at requirements, functional spec and test cases trying to figure out if implementing them is going to introduce a new edge case that we're not testing for or that will confuse users (I'm a sysadmin and analyst, so I spend a lot of time writing business requirements, the functional spec based off those requirements and the test cases to validate them. I also spend a significant portion of my work-day smacking developers with clue-bats.) It is ASTONISHINGLY easy to write code that "works" but still doesn't do what the designer originally wanted in the way they wanted it done. :)

Makes sense...although why doing that in a space port thou; when in space the ship goes nowhere, they could just use the same logic.

I would imagine a space port on the ground, as a big "covered parking lot"; so you have to transport the ship on the landing pad to take off. in that case; at least they could change the "request landing" with "request takeoff"; so it would be at least believable in the current mechanic.

I work in IT too, and it happens all the time that requirements are messed up; but usually there is a sort of agreement in the team, to change requirements or fix it somehow, to make it closer to the requirements.
For landing and take off, I find hard to believe that nobody said anything about the take off part. Their QA most likely follow test cases, instead of going free style. This is where we jump in :) That's what beta are for, after all.

I would not mind to see anyone from the team, marking it as bug and eventually say that it makes no sense as is now. As now, I land on a station only to resolve missions and fix the flying trap; then it is much better to just park the ship on the surface, and deploy from there.

Although this is me working around a fallacy, not exaclty a shining example of realism :)

I spent a bit of time myself tonight after landing at a large settlement trying to find my ship again. I requested docking and it put a nice green marker on my map, awesome! I start driving for it and I realize, it's WAY out there from the location on my sensors, so I target it...

3.6km out and very very high up from the station. I've been driving into every damn garage I could find to no avail and my damn ship is hovering way the hell outside the settlement?

Cancelled docking request, requested it again, BOOM, ship is just around the corner from me, drive into the garage, load up, good to go!

Annoying but hey, bugs happen to the best of software, just look at human beings.

Top Bottom