Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: My True Love Sent To Me (25 Dec - 6 Jan)

Hmmm, I hadn't realised it had been so long since I did the last board update...

mtlstm_albatross_dec31.jpg

In any case, there's only been the one run in that time. Despite the moaning about supply of rares, KliggJr did manage to take his Asp Explorer Grey Mullet for a run round the course. A fast run, in fact, managing to take top spot, more than a third faster than Cheetah's time :).

In any case, there's only been the one run in that time. Despite the moaning about supply of rares, KliggJr did manage to take his Asp Explorer Grey Mullet for a run round the course. A fast run, in fact, managing to take top spot, more than a third faster than Cheetah's time :).
Hey thanks for the update . Well that's suprising, I thought my time was terrible. pretty sure I could shave 30 minutes off by being luckier ;) Momus bog spaniels 4!...NOOOOO!!!!!, Helvetitj pearls 1!!! ngggggg!!!
Happy New Year Buckyballers everywhere.

Last edited:
Sending some slightly premature Happy New Year greetings to all Buckyball Runners. :)

I've been a bit ill since Christmas, but I'm planning to make a run over the weekend, hopefully I'll be okay to make the live BBR-9 event as well.

Fly fast CMDRs!

In my case it was more moaning about me not having the time I hoped to complete the race, than about the effort or the possibility at all to find all the needed rares...after all, if it has been done, it can be done!

Just not in my available time slot sadly :D
I'd very much like to have the time again to give it another shot, but since chances in the next days are really thin, I prefer to keep on hold for BBR9...

I hope this didn't get through as criticism toward drakhyr's event, it wasn't my intention (I'm not british, so I'm afraid I'm no expert in saying "jeez!" in a fantastically british way :p), I'm just still too much on the noob side of the game to complain about the validity of an hard core race for hard core pilots :)

Half-full glass of it, the rares partially collected still payed up for quite a bit more than just "racing expenses"!

Happy 3302 to all!

(I'm not british, so I'm afraid I'm no expert in saying "jeez!" in a fantastically british way :p
yeah sorry, I thought after I put that it was a bit too specifically placey. just replace it with polite in your mind egg. Drakhyrs mapish guide should help the planning. but youll still need 2 hrs to run it. I split mine into 4 sessions.. which made it a lot easier to do. without the breaks im not sure I could have done it.

Sending some slightly premature Happy New Year greetings to all Buckyball Runners. :)

I've been a bit ill since Christmas, but I'm planning to make a run over the weekend, hopefully I'll be okay to make the live BBR-9 event as well.

Fly fast CMDRs!

Happy New Year to you and everyone else as well. I won't be running, but I'm watching to see how everyone's doing.

mtlstm_albatross_jan03.jpg

mtlstm_falcon_jan03.jpg

mtlstm_wren_jan03.jpg

We have a couple of additional entries! And I've decided to reveal the times early, given the low number of runners and the fact the leaderboard has gaps in it you could drive a small gas giant through...

In Albatross class, Cmdr furrycat turned up in a festive blue painted Asp. Blue Asp Fly proceeded to fly like its namesake, making full use of breaks when insufficient goods were available at supply stations, to take first spot nearly half an hour faster than KliggJr's previous record.

I'm also very pleased to welcome an entry in the Wren class for smaller ships. Cmdr Birdnose has set the standard in this one, with his bright purple Adder Gravitas Catastrophe. Despite at least three interdictions I spotted (while having to skim through video of the entire run to find the stops...), this small ship managed a time that is definitely within touching distance (so far as this race goes!) of the larger ships on the board.

A note on breaks taken: I'm displaying these just for information on how people have organised their runs. The numbers are split between breaks at Windt Terminal / breaks at rares supply stations.

In the middle of my run now, currently on my last break and have 2 more rares to go... The god of rare spawns is not smiling on me :(

Yeah, there's a huge luck element in this one. For one rare I had to make three trips, but on the third one enough spawned to cover the whole quota. If there's a logic to it I don't know what it is. I wasn't sure if rares would respawn if I already had some in my hold, so I didn't do any breaks at stations to wait for them -- but I've heard since that you do get one more respawn, so I probably should have.

Sorry to make you skim through the video, Drakhyr -- I'd originally planned to do all screenshots, but I missed one and decided to just let it go and use the video instead. Restarting this run has even more of a time penalty associated with it than most, because of rares having to respawn.

Last edited:
Planning to start a run tonight. Might have to do it across several day with breaks in between. While I can often find lots of time to play, it's usually only in small doses.

I just submitted my entry. I would like to make the case that doing the run in one go and not using breaks to mask the market refresh time should be considered a different class. Since I have to plan accordingly and I laid out circuits where I was likely to have to make multiple visits to fill the quota. This actually worked out pretty well and I got extremely lucky on a few of the big ones getting the quota in one stop. But then I stuck by leaving the Verrix for last and thinking that getting 2 of those would be easy but when I arrived only 1 was available and having to sit and wait for 10 minutes for the market to refresh instead of taking a "break" and it only costing me 35 secs. If I had used "breaks" I likely could have saved close to an hour of race time.

I also want to say thanks to the organizers for setting up the event and judging the results. I had fun running the race and especially planning out the course.

I'd say that's actually a pretty reasonable argument, even though at least one of my breaks was because real life intervened. Doing it without any is definitely a higher difficulty setting no matter how you look at it.

Taking a break in the middle of leg 2 of 5...waiting for a couple more locusts...
edit 1: more waiting on the same leg...
edit 2: ...and first stop of leg 3...this is my halfway point for total station visits
edit 3: ...first stop of leg 4...after this I still have 3 more stations to visit that require 7+ rares
edit 4: ...2 more stations that are likely to force a break or re-visit, but only 1 permitted break remaining
edit 5: ...after finally being able to fill a large order in a single stop, I got rammed from below while approaching the slot...last break required for restock...

last edit: done.

real last edit: I missed the screenshot taking post-destruction...so am going to just have to eat that time. :( 34 screenshots were required

Last edited:
Still planning to get a run in for this event. I ran the BBR-9 live run using The Nomad set up in "long range smuggler config" ready for Buzzard class in this event, so technically I just need to fly from Obsidian to Windt Terminal and get running. But some of those times have worried me, so I'll probably swap out modules and enter Albatross class instead! I'm not sure that I'll manage 4 hours free time before the end! :eek:

I'm really hoping that rolling back my graphics drivers further tonight will get rid of the AMD fps problems for me, otherwise I'll probably have to pull out of this one - fast SC approaches are impossible at less than 10fps, so if I can't fix it I'll just have to concentrate on BBR-9 where the bug only affects me once. :(

If there's a logic to it I don't know what it is. I wasn't sure if rares would respawn if I already had some in my hold, so I didn't do any breaks at stations to wait for them -- but I've heard since that you do get one more respawn, so I probably should have.
Rares spawn every 10 minutes, although you never know exactly where you are in the ten minute cycle when you first dock at a station.

Each rare has a maximum allocation, when you initially dock you get a random amount between 1 and the maximum allocation assuming that you don't already have that commodity in your hold. You can never receive more than your allotted maximum from a spawn, so for example if the max is 18t and you have 8t in your hold your next spawn will be between 1t and 10t.

The spawns seem to be affected a little by supply and demand, rather than being totally linear probabilities, so for example when you fly to one of the really remote 1,000,000ls+ outposts that supply rares, you'll generally get a really good spawn on your first visit. Whereas late-on during my Bootlegger challenge there were a few comments about consistently bad first spawns.

Due to the slow spawn refresh when rare trading (discounting this event's timeout breaks) it's normally better to hop back and forth between stations to fill up as two or three nearby stations can normally be visited before the first one's respawned.

Still want to do this but not sure I'll have time before it ends. I was planning to make use of the breaks to help with the refills without losing time, but will 6 stops be enough to avoid hanging around?

Still want to do this but not sure I'll have time before it ends. I was planning to make use of the breaks to help with the refills without losing time, but will 6 stops be enough to avoid hanging around?
Here are my stats, and I consider myself to have had pretty bad luck, poor skill, and general "holy crap, it's almost 4am!" syndrome.

I ran in the Wren class with a DBX that required 5 of the 6 allowed "off-site" breaks to wait for refills. I had one interdiction, and a station-exiting crash that I could have used the last break to mitigate, but missed the necessary screenshot to do so. I'm submitting a time of 2:30:52 if approved, but it took 3:42:07 to actually run, plus the time to convert the necessary 34 screenshots from .bmps to .pngs that I can upload to Imgur.

A couple of hours a day over the next 3 evenings could do it... I'd also have to add time to re-kit my Asp (which just did BB9) and get into position. Will see how it goes... (unless I use up a spare day holiday from last year already... :))

Top Bottom