UA Mystery thread 4 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Ordered mine yesterday it was £499 + 30 postage to blighty.

Hi SB
that's surprisingly cheap. Must not have any UK distributors- it seems to be they are usually the culprit for mapping $ to £ on import, or import duty.

Let us know how good they are for ED- I am a little reticent over the resolution for text (my aged eyes need varifocal specs, which may be another problem with VR).

This is exactly the defense mechanism i would anticipate for a Barnacle POI area to prevent airborne attack, do you remember where you were?

1. Nose waving around. Has happened in both North and South hemispheres of DL-Y d-65 1. I think it happens normally when you miss glide due to steep angle. More tests needed tho.

2. Hasnt reoccurred yet. Previously happened near southern pole of same planet mentioned in 1.

3. I think this is related to flying upside down in the Asp while around 2-8km above planet. (Im guessing thruster placement and trying to maintain height. Id be interested to know if others can replicate)

So its not looking good for this being a sign of something interesting.

How about something like this.. (and this is why exactly why this game needs a minimap or telmetry data from out ship orbiting - like a camera of your position. The ship needs to keep track of your position right?)

http://i.imgur.com/nIDymVY.png
Some form of mapping tool is indeed required, but how do you visually recognise the areas you've searched & map them to the planet pic/map as you've shown, unless that plant pic/map has the coordinate grid superimposed from within the game? & if it's a visual mapping & manual transfer onto the pic/map how do you go about that on a darkside/in a canyon? Do we have any cartographers in the house?
Once I start my descent I completely lose track of where I am wrt to anything I've seen from space, unless its got cities/stations, when I tend to select the station & use that as a bearing indicator on the SRV sensor display. With the ship disappearing when you get some distance (2Km??) from it the only fixed reference point you have goes with it. I find searching a planet surface rather a hit & miss affair.

One more look at trailer, please:
Did you check the wheel thruster orientations throughout the trailer?

They change as in in-game according to gravity. During the T9 crash and the "barnacle" scene they are tilted early the same: slightly downward.

If parts of the trailer were shot in-game or the thruster orientation was build in as a hint, I can deduct to things:
1. The barnacle planet is equal/above 1g in gravity, as downwards thruster want to push the SRV up for gravity compensation.
2. The T9 and the barnacle scene might belong together.

1. could be used to limit the search to higher gravity planets.
2. could be used to find the locatation by spotting a T9 wreck from high above.

As you get low enough, the scanner starts to show the surface height map.
It'd be awesome to raise the altitude where that starts significantly and then overlay the areas you fly over onto the surface map.

1. Nose waving around. Has happened in both North and South hemispheres of DL-Y d-65 1. I think it happens normally when you miss glide due to steep angle. More tests needed tho.

2. Hasnt reoccurred yet. Previously happened near southern pole of same planet mentioned in 1.

3. I think this is related to flying upside down in the Asp while around 2-8km above planet. (Im guessing thruster placement and trying to maintain height. Id be interested to know if others can replicate)

So its not looking good for this being a sign of something interesting.
This is easy to replicate, and yes, it's your thrusters fighting gravity. Try stopping and then pointing your nose completely down towards the planet surface. Due to the position of the secondary thrusters, your ship will struggle to keep the desired position, and will be constantly compensating. I actually find this a really cool feature...

And flying upside down on an ASP isn't too healthy!

Don't try this in a high G planet...

Last edited:
Guys I did an experiment with flint today : so I was investigating tygeta system , in one of the planets I saw a poi and it was a mining farm , it also emitted light that's how I saw it in the dark side of the planet . So I started raising the altitude to find out how long I can see the light on the planet surface form the mine farm , the result was about 9 and 10 km , so this means that most lights coming from anything can be seen up to about 10 km , so this means that the barnacles green light can be detected up to about 7 to 10 km . So as I said focus your attention on green lights emitted from the dark side of the planet instead of pois ( not saying don't look for pois I'm saying focus on those that could emit green lights ) that's how we might find the barnacles ,
hope my conclusion of this experiment helps :)

My point had literally nothing to do with Thargoids but ok.
The point was, from a storywriting within a game point of view, you don't create one big alien mystery, then start pushing story content to advance it at the same time as releasing another big alien mystery, and have those two alien mysteries be completely unrelated. it makes no sense, people will naturally make the connection between them and you'll only throw people off/ make them feel disconnected from the story if you go "no no no, those aliens are completely DIFFERENT aliens, we're not actually advancing this alien plot, we're creating an entire NEW one"

I'd agree with you in the context of a traditional story. From the perspective of a multi-player game that has 400 Billion star systems, not so sure.

There are lots of other aliens out there, they will have their own agendas. If we conflate them, that's our problem, not theirs.

Cheers,

Drew.

I'd agree with you in the context of a traditional story. From the perspective of a multi-player game that has 400 Billion star systems, not so sure.

There are lots of other aliens out there, they will have their own agendas. If we conflate them, that's our problem, not theirs.

Cheers,

Drew.

Wise words

Yeah, good point. I guess I was after any violent objections!
Ok then, how about something a little more catchy for the new thread title?
dude_where_is_my_SRV.jpg

Last edited:
One more look at trailer, please:
Did you check the wheel thruster orientations throughout the trailer?

They change as in in-game according to gravity. During the T9 crash and the "barnacle" scene they are tilted early the same: slightly downward.

If parts of the trailer were shot in-game or the thruster orientation was build in as a hint, I can deduct to things:
1. The barnacle planet is equal/above 1g in gravity, as downwards thruster want to push the SRV up for gravity compensation.
2. The T9 and the barnacle scene might belong together.

1. could be used to limit the search to higher gravity planets.
2. could be used to find the locatation by spotting a T9 wreck from high above.

I have noticed this as well. I also think the scene before the T9 at about 49s, is the same place. The soil colour is similar, plus the wheel thrusters. It shows a yellow/Orange sun (probably an M-Class) and seem to inside a nebula.

Guys I did an experiment with flint today : so I was investigating tygeta system , in one of the planets I saw a poi and it was a mining farm , it also emitted light that's how I saw it in the dark side of the planet . So I started raising the altitude to find out how long I can see the light on the planet surface form the mine farm , the result was about 9 and 10 km , so this means that most lights coming from anything can be seen up to about 10 km , so this means that the barnacles green light can be detected up to about 7 to 10 km . So as I said focus your attention on green lights emitted from the dark side of the planet instead of pois ( not saying don't look for pois I'm saying focus on those that could emit green lights ) that's how we might find the barnacles ,
That's good to know, although I imagine it will only work for fixed POI's. RNG ones spawn once you are at a certain distance from them (2km?), so you won't see those from 10km up unless you have been close to them before.

I agree with this method and I wouldn't worry about tidal lock. I think the barnacles may like a little light from time to time.

I have noticed this as well. I also think the scene before the T9 at about 49s, is the same place. The soil colour is similar, plus the wheel thrusters. It shows a yellow/Orange sun (probably an M-Class) and seem to inside a nebula.

Testlanding on planet with 0.7g: Thruster point around 30° upwards.
Testlanding on planet with 2g: Thruster point aroun 45° downwards.

Hence, the trailer planet as to be fairly close to 1g (1.0-1.2?).

Anybody found planets/moons with such a gravity in the nebula?

That's a really useful test. Thanks for sharing commander!

+Rep

Pleione 4?

Methinks Pleione is yellow and Pleione 4 has 1.8G

I spent just a few minutes there before CTD, but going to go back in a while.

Also, light sources are visible up to 10km or so only after they've spawned at 1-2km... in my experience that is.

Pleione 4?

Methinks Pleione is yellow and Pleione 4 has 1.8G

I spent just a few minutes there before CTD, but going to go back in a while.

Also, light sources are visible up to 10km or so only after they've spawned at 1-2km... in my experience that is.

Ah, if that's the case that's a bit of a bummer. Still useful to know though.

Edit: Can other commanders confirm this behaviour?

Last edited:

While i use this way of detecting POI myself i do feel the need to let people know that this really depends on your individual graphical setting. I run the game on a laptop with 840m graphics and I do not see the POI untill i am about 2-3 km above it. It depends alot on what type it is as well. If you are going to use this method i do suggest that you test it on a few POI before you determine what range you want to fly at.

Cmdr Morkel

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom