UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
All your effort on solving UA mytery and on seraching Barnicles over planets surfaces is impressing, but there is one point to be taken into account: Elite Dangerous is weekly updated by FD with minor changes, one of these changes has modified the UA sound behavior in order to put a real messages into the strange sound (when UA changed their sound and spawning mode).
Now we are searching for something on planet surfaces, but there are no hints a part from the region of space with tents of star systems to search. I'm start to think that currently the Barnicle position is not currently defined on the game we have today, but I hope to be wrong anyway... The search is very enjoiable.

Ok, well I've been in the Pleiades for the entirety of Horizons, and I haven't seen a single POI that is large enough to be seen from that far away. The largest ones that I can see from my usual cruising altitude of 2-5km often don't even render. I assume we haven't seen these kinds of POI in the Pleiades then?

I spotted a couple of small installations from 8km up last night. It can be done.

No need to sell the UA in order to get the price. I've got one in my hold - I'm not selling it, but the black market in MAIA offers me 271,829

Out of date.
We had this at the end of Thread#4:
(one example)
UA_______(stolen) 271.324 Cr______330K Gal.Avarage
UA_______(not stolen) 361,765 Cr___330K Gal.Avarage
Main change is the increase since the Galnet post and that they now again have different prices at different blackmarkets.
Lowest (as usual) @ FoundersWorld. And now you can sell direct to "The Dark Wheel" faction if you find the right surface place ...

Ok, thanks!

You're right, the prices have changed a lot. On the old thread that I found Peregrina was the cheapest price found, but since then the prices everywhere seem to have increased substantially.

I spotted a couple of small installations from 8km up last night. It can be done.

Oh yeah I know, I'm just saying sometimes they don't even render until I get somewhat close to them.

Also, to be clear, I already look around for things as well as use the radar, but all of the installations I've seen will also show up on the radar.

Agree, sometimes they render further away. But in many of my own situations I've been cirlcling and triggered it earlier, it will definitively maintain keep rendering when you are at higher altitudes again.
My own thumb rules is to stay at 2km or below just to make sure my own trigger-coverage is greater.

I've been lurking this thread for a while because I myself am looking for these Barnacles...

First, thanks for the community for impressive amount of information, foremost to Riz for compiling it into the OP.

So basically I've been scanning planets in Pleiades, randomly dropping to the surface for visual and instrumental scan. Now I read from the OP that there should be somekind special locations (Persistent POIs) which wouldn't show in scanner.

So we are supposed to use our visual capabilities to find these. Where does this information about PPOIs come from? How this can be confirmed unless no one has ever found a barnacle?

I'm just curious.

-v

sometimes shadows help to see them also from higher positions. I think that when blue circle appears, the item is placed on the surface and than drawed. If you have enough resolution and good contrast with the surface, you should find it (if you pass over it of course)

PR5, row 2, seats 5 and 6.

I'm thinking Pleiades Region PR-E b5-6
Or Pleiades Region PR-E b56.

Do either of those exist in-game? I'm away from a screen right now.

Last edited:
Oh yeah I know, I'm just saying sometimes they don't even render until I get somewhat close to them.

Also, to be clear, I already look around for things as well as use the radar, but all of the installations I've seen will also show up on the radar.

Installations all do appear on the radar, but Major Crash sites DO NOT, and they have been lumped together with barnacles as a "type of POI" by the comment in the release notes.

Interesting!

Did you see the price that the Cmdr who figured out that the UA scans ships got?

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/3t1iej/oh_crap_ua_prize_thanks_mb/

And the Great Old One Gtuhanai is to be found in the Pleiades cluster (Cthulhu Mythos)

Maybe someone with greater knowledge about Cthulhu could come up with further clues...

Agreed, but a firm link to the mystery would be nice - all we have here is a random screenshot with no context.

Having said that, googling 'Pleiades PR5' leads to this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elements_of_the_Cthulhu_Mythos

The PR5 entry leads to this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyarlathotep

View attachment 93997

Looks like a barnacle to me - mystery solved, I'm going to chill out in my padded room!

Last edited:
Trust is a bi-directional thing bud!! I don't appreciate being accused of lying or trolling.
Regardless of Lurker's credentials, I'd still like to know the context of the Log Entry.
Maybe what he meant is that PR5 doesn't actually have anything to do with Nyarlathotep/Cthulu, it's just a reference code in the wikipedia article.

Greetings CMDR's... here's a question that may or may not has already been asked before, but did anyone try to bring an UA to Merope or any other system in the Pleiades Nebula to make it pinpoint the origin further down? It may be possible that the UA will align itself further and reveal additional coordinates like for example, if deployed inside a system like Merope...wouldn't it be possible that it'll align itself to a moon/planet there? Excuse me if this has already been asked, but I was just wondering since I searched for such info and haven't found anything that would relate to that.

I've been lurking this thread for a while because I myself am looking for these Barnacles...

First, thanks for the community for impressive amount of information, foremost to Riz for compiling it into the OP.

So basically I've been scanning planets in Pleiades, randomly dropping to the surface for visual and instrumental scan. Now I read from the OP that there should be somekind special locations (Persistent POIs) which wouldn't show in scanner.

So we are supposed to use our visual capabilities to find these. Where does this information about PPOIs come from? How this can be confirmed unless no one has ever found a barnacle?

I'm just curious.

-v

We are adding this patch note to the known information that crashed ship sites do not appear as Blue Zones

CLIENT UPDATES
  • Shouldn't have to drive away from the crashed ship sites and Barnacles to be able to recall your ship.

I'm tempted to join you in a padded room. Michael Brookes has a thing for Cthulhu right, what are the chances of that!?

Celaeno (and the Pleiades) form a part of the Cthulhu mythos.

A recurring theme of Lovecraft is that the Old Ones, Cthulhu and his pals, like nothing better than residing in the deepest darkest places, waiting and watching. Read The Haunter Of The Dark short story.

Slap bang in the Pleiades, within Maia, is a a very deep dark place. A black hole. None of the planets around it receive much light at all, except from the nebula.

It is also the location of Palin's new research base. Maia is totally enveloped by the nebula.

Looking for them and poking them has consequences. The UA have been watching us from their dark places for a long time.

It is probably not a coincidence that the UA look like an octupus with it's tentacles chopped off.

I have been searching for a while using the Lovecraftian clues (and all over the nebula). Maia B1g and B1f are the creepiest looking bodies I have been on.

Unfortunately they are too big and I am too little. My biggest fear is that the random spawn rate has been set far too low (tea and ship debris in abundance though) and that there aren't enough of the fixed POI.

When the stars have aligned and enough of us believe in them, they will come forth...

Last edited:

I'm just curious.

-v

The persistent PoI link comes from one line in the patch notes last patch which said:

"Shouldn't have to drive away from the crashed ship sites and Barnacles to be able to recall your ship."

There's a crash site on Orrere 2B (an Anaconda), of which the coordinates are quite well known now, so people (including me) have gone and checked it out to see what properties it has.

I found it easy to find at night with the gamma all the way up. Couldn't see it in the day as it was in heavy shadow, but I forgot to try turning off shadows in the graphics options. The ship can be seen as an out of place pixel that changes colour from at least 45kms away. 9kms up and a few kms away horizontally it was at least 3 or 4 pixels big and pretty obvious. No blue circle. No SRV scanner signature. Cargo strewn behind crashed ship showed up on SRV scanner very brightly.

So yeah...we're just guessing but it's an educated guess.

Ok more on the Cthulhu myth...

Celaeno is one of the seven stars of the Pleiades. On its fouth planet is the Great Library of Celaeno, which houses stone tablets containing secrets stolen from the Great Old Ones and Elder Gods. Professor Laban Shrewsbury spent som time here... bla bla bla
[h=3][/h]

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom