UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Which is a fine explanation until it comes to explaining how they manage to do things like know our alphabet goes A B C D E..., for example.

Well, they don't necessarily need to go through the intermediary step of converting morse -> 'latin' letters. Assuming a reasonable level of intelligence and availability of enough encoded data (of which they have plenty!) they could deduce the existence of 26 unique characters in our letter-set. They'd only need to ever intercept a handful of broadcasts of 26 characters, with each character featuring exactly once, in the same order to deduce that is our letter-set in its alphabetical order, and use that to plot the ship schematics.

But still, they're never dealing with As, or Cs, just ".-", "-..." and "-.-." etc.

Though I have plenty of money for an Asp, I went back to the DBX as my OFFICIAL planetary exploring ship, even if less capable than the Asp in many aspects, it has FAR BETTER HANDLING in HI-G worlds.
Asp's vertical thrusters are a real pain. I talk from experience.

here it is:
http://coriolis.io/outfit/diamondba...==.EwBhBYEYxS+BpwGYxA==?bn=**Explorer_Perfect
I would totally agree, the DBX is also my favourite planet exploring craft. But you can't fit the detailed surface scanner, to see for example if the planet has volcanism. I switched to ASP for this.

Yes but it was told they do exist in the pleiades, the nebula that contains the seven sister

??? One of us has missed the others point I feel. If you mean what I think you mean then it has been very much hinted/as good as confirmed that they are in other nebulae as well, planetary nebula are REALLY SMALL which is why they would be good to search, the only I'm heading towards apparently only has one landable planet so if they are in all nebulae or all within a certain distance and this is within that distance then there will only be one planet to search, instead of the I don't even know how many in the Pleiades.

Ok now is the time to genuinely ask: Is there an in game method that we could have followed to work out where the Barnacles are? Or were you really expecting us to somehow deduce you "obvious when you think about it" reason for why they are in nebulae and then search a nebula for an unspecified amount of time until we eventually stumble across them?
Are there news stories, paper trails, hints, that could have pushed us in the right direction?
Because right now as I see it the only link we had to why they might be in the Pleiades was the UA's, if that is gone and they are just in Nebulae all around the place and the UA aren't actually associated then that removes the one good link I see.

On a more positive note surely a Planetary Nebula is a good thing to search even if KN Muscae isn't the place from the trailer? If they exist in Nebulae and we assume they are present in ALL or MOST of them, a Planetary Nebula surely narrows down the search area significantly?

squiggsy! Why are you upset?
The Pleiades Nebula is still the place to look.
We know for sure that some where manually put there to find. We don't know about the other nebulae. They could just spawn the RNG ones, as far as we know. ;)
So still Pleiades for me. And it was a huge hint indeed, so people will stop focusing only in Merope :D

Last edited:
You don't need to be in game to compare the loadouts, here ...

http://www.edshipyard.com/

If you can afford an Asp Explorer then you're going to be fine with the internals on that and it can also cope with some combat, not quite the out and out killer that the vulture is but a good all rounder.

Good luck

Though I have plenty of money for an Asp, I went back to the DBX as my OFFICIAL planetary exploring ship, even if less capable than the Asp in many aspects, it has FAR BETTER HANDLING in HI-G worlds.
Asp's vertical thrusters are a real pain. I talk from experience.

here it is:
http://coriolis.io/outfit/diamondba...==.EwBhBYEYxS+BpwGYxA==?bn=**Explorer_Perfect

Thank's a lot folks. so Rizal, what module do you take on your diamon back as you can't take all the necessary ones?

Well, they don't necessarily need to go through the intermediary step of converting morse -> 'latin' letters. Assuming a reasonable level of intelligence and availability of enough encoded data (of which they have plenty!) they could deduce the existence of 26 unique characters in our letter-set. They'd only need to ever intercept a handful of broadcasts of 26 characters, with each character featuring exactly once, in the same order to deduce that is our letter-set in its alphabetical order, and use that to plot the ship schematics.

But still, they're never dealing with As, or Cs, just ".-", "-..." and "-.-." etc.

If they don't know the order of the letters how did they manage to make the ship diagrams?

I just realised something... If UAs are alien, why would they transmit in morse code ? That's a 100% human made language...

A random bit of info I saw somewhere (may have since been disproved) was that one of the Voyager probes isn't where it should be by this point, and that it may have been captured by whoever makes the UAs. The Voyager Golden Records contain recordings of Morse code - that may have been where they picked it up from, and may be what the alien race thinks is the easiest way to communicate with us. The fact that they use a slightly garbled version of Morse could point to some degradation in the Golden Record that they got a hold of.

Man, you might be onto something. I understand that Brookes is a fan of Lovecraft. I also looked up PR5 and it references Kadath. Is there a Kadath star in game? In Lovecraft it is a place in the dream realm.

Lovecraft :eek:

'Aartna - Metallic alien beings (!) living on planets located in Pleiades cluster, acolytes of the Great Old One Gtuhanai.'

OK now are you absolutely sure you want to look for these things? Cos y'know, tentacles and stuff...

This is an interesting link though (sorry if it's been posted in the many pages I'm still reading through - the various celestial bodies which feature in Lovecraft's mythos:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraterrestrial_places_in_the_Cthulhu_Mythos

In particular, Celaeno features as an important location...

I know it's been mentioned already in this post and probably others but has Celaeno had a proper going-over? Does it even have landable sites come to that, I've never visited it?

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=195658&p=3386044&viewfull=1#post3386044

Unfortunately I can't see the actual picture that the post above is replying to because I'm at work and imgur is blocked, so apologies if it's all a red herring.

Lovecraft's mythos is full of references which suggest it has had some influence in this though, for example see this (fictional) place from the above wiki link:

'Abbith - A planet that revolves around seven stars beyond Xoth.It is inhabited by metallic brains, wise with the ultimate secrets of the universe.'

I didn't know that Michael Brookes was a Lovecraft fan but now that I do, there is no way that just happens to be a coincidence. :D

If we're going to scatter ourselves around the nebula is there a list of systems that are confirmed inside it? That would allow people to each pick a system and head off to take a look, and we could cut down on duplication as well as ensure we don't miss any of them.

This is a very good point - looking at the Galaxy map, it's very hard to tell which ones are in the nebula and which ones aren't.
Some of the sisters certainly don't look like they are, and in most systems the appearance of the nebula is very much - it's over there, rather than I'm in the middle of it.

Or is it the whole sector!!

squiggsy! Why are you upset?
The Pleiades Nebula is still the place to look.

Because he's essentially saying "yes the UA's aren't connected to the Barnacles" which means the only logical reasoning we had in the first place for looking at the Pleiades for Barnacles was wrong. Which means that either there are clues we missed (in which case I would be happy and would very much like to search for them) or we were expected to blunder along on some vague reasoning with pretty much no in game lore to back anything up. In which case it is the laziest of game developments and I can't get behind it in any way. I can't feel connected to a hunt for something when the best hints we have got are from a game developer on the forums going "whoops looks like i made this too hard better drop them some hints" instead of taking the time to write a GalNet post and broadcast those hints in a way that is friendly to in game lore and positive for those of us who like some immersion. GalNet is literally there for these kinds of things and it's just been ignored and I find that really illogical.

This is a very good point - looking at the Galaxy map, it's very hard to tell which ones are in the nebula and which ones aren't.
Some of the sisters certainly don't look like they are, and in most systems the appearance of the nebula is very much - it's over there, rather than I'm in the middle of it.

Or is it the whole sector!!

Riz@l pointed me to a spreadsheet where this data has been gathered (linked to in post #3 of this thread). It certainly cuts down the number of systems to search.

Theory: It seems a bit hopeless to search moons and planets with no direction other than "Pleiades". Even if you narrow the search down to low lying craters and canyons that have vapor fogs it is a ridiculous amount of area to cover.

Maybe there are special Unidentified Signal Sources in systems that could potentially harbor Barnacles and Meta-Alloys... and if so there could be NPC's in the USS's that have dialogue related to potential locations for the Barnacles and Meta-Alloys.

I started looking for some in Maia this morning but, no luck.

Has anyone been attempting this? Red herring?

Yeah I proposed this a day or two ago - so have been jumping into any signal source I come across.

This has consisted, thus far, of getting attacked by pir8s most of the time :)

But, personally, I'm not ruling it out.

Because he's essentially saying "yes the UA's aren't connected to the Barnacles" which means the only logical reasoning we had in the first place for looking at the Pleiades for Barnacles was wrong. Which means that either there are clues we missed (in which case I would be happy and would very much like to search for them) or we were expected to blunder along on some vague reasoning with pretty much no in game lore to back anything up. In which case it is the laziest of game developments and I can't get behind it in any way. I can't feel connected to a hunt for something when the best hints we have got are from a game developer on the forums going "whoops looks like i made this too hard better drop them some hints" instead of taking the time to write a GalNet post and broadcast those hints in a way that is friendly to in game lore and positive for those of us who like some immersion. GalNet is literally there for these kinds of things and it's just been ignored and I find that really illogical.

it's quite frustrating indeed maybe it's worth looking at the witch head nebula, it's very close to the pleiades.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom