UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
99% it's not a mistake, and MB is talking about ONE nebula, in his statement: in fact he is not only saying "nebula" and not "nebulae or nebulas": he is saying "relates" and not "relate", so there should be TWO ERRORS in a row! Very unlikely.

Since his comment came after the discover of the Barnacles in Merope, we can assume two things:

1) he is still talking about the Pleiades Nebula, saying that it is related to their Origin. Mmmm... I don't think so...
2) he is talking about another ONLY ONE nebula where they can be found, and he cannot hint it, because it's related to their origin. I bet on this one.

I hope it's in Pleades Nebula but it's gonna be interesting if they will be hostile.

I would prefer if it there were FACTIONS of them.

Think Thargoid Powerplay

Also, since we have not heard from them in a long time and found NO evidence of them IN our galaxy except NOW Im starting to wonder if their origin is not about their homeworlds or living space but rather:

ARRIVAL POINT.

In lore they were whichspace mastes and lived in another galaxy and it could be a preparation for colonization by them (or invasion)

But unless they all hide underground and NEVER venture into space since the last war/skirmish we should see a damn population bubble of alien origin at least of our size in the galaxy.

And that Nebula feels a bit too small.

Still, by being whichspace masters they might have invented travel WITHIN planets to one planet to another.

Why venture out into space when you can go to INNER space.

99% it's not a mistake, and MB is talking about ONE nebula, in his statement: in fact he is not only saying "nebula" and not "nebulae or nebulas": he is saying "relates" and not "relate", so there should be TWO ERRORS in a row! Very unlikely.

Since his comment came after the discover of the Barnacles in Merope, we can assume two things:

1) he is still talking about the Pleiades Nebula, saying that it is related to their Origin. Mmmm... I don't think so...
2) he is talking about another ONLY ONE nebula where they can be found, and he cannot hint it, because it's related to their origin. I bet on this one.

Agreed on the fact he uses the singular form of nebula and then relates. It does seem contradictory to this quote though:

Quote Originally Posted by Agony_Aunt View Post

Mike already hinted at plural in an earlier post. Its not specifically Seven Sisters.

True - although I know for certain that there are some placed in that nebula.

Michael

and this one:

I did indeed say they are exceedingly rare - much rarer than UAs. ALthough unlike the UAs there are some that have been physically placed by us, although they are generated in certain areas of space....

and this one:

I think you'll notice one if you're nearby.

And to those asking why nebulae - it's quite logical if you think about it :)

Michael

and this one!:

Nebulae are good places to look, especially the one with the seven sisters in it.

Michael

So I'm not sure what to think, but I think we need to be careful of assuming anything by over-analysing MB's quotes as we've seen in the past. Open minds are important right now. One thing is for certain.. We won't find any in other nebulae if we stop looking for them!

I dont think we have enough data to decide on that either way. Tho I'd still bet on #1 :) because why wouldnt he have said 'the other nebula they can be found in'.

I don't think it's shopped but it can be a graphical artifact caused by the illumiation effect of the beam laser not working properly. The beam probably illuminated the barnacle but the effect failed to unload properly. So, illumonation = illuminati confirmed!

I also tried shooting the Pleione 11A barnie with a single fixed class 2 beam from my asp until the caps gave out. Neither during nor after the shooting the glow matched this picture. It looks like something inside or on the ground under the barnacle glows and the light escaped between the shell pieces. Note that the central core top is dark.

Somebody glitched through the ground in his ship and shot the barnacle from underneath? :D

A few posts back someone reported a morse signature in the system map on barnacle planets...will have a listen as I collected three planets now where they are found... :)

It would be nice to have some confirmation that we have something to look for though. Like all those people looking for barnacles in Solo and then discovering that there were 'issues' with them spawning in solo, there would be a lot of anger if there's nothing to look for yet because it's not been patched in.

I see these scenarios :

1). The hints are the obvious ones and it's Barnards loop but the problem is that we are looking for something tiny amongst thousands of stars out there and finding it is basically down to blind luck.
2). It's a different nebula that we just have to find that makes the problem hundreds of times worse.
3). The hints are so vague and mysterious and obscure that several hundred people working on this problem cant see the answer.
4). The next 'breakthrough' is not hinted at yet and we will get a galnet article pointing us in the right direction (aka the 23ly from maia one).
5). The next steps in this story arc are not patched in yet and everyone's looking for something that's not there.

As a gamer I'd just like to know which of these it is. I dont mind looking for something endlessly as long as I know it's there to be found....

The next (major)breakthrough with the Barnacle is likely to come as a result of an update/expansion, just like the UA's sound changing from saying the star system name, to scanning and drawing your ship.

Last edited:
The dashboard also gets illuminated by the laser while you are shooting it. It's logical if it fails to work, it'll fail all over.

HOLY CRAP...I can confirm the barnacle glowing! It does not seem to appear when shooting the center, but at the shell. I also got it to pulse when shooting in a pattern. Can we morse something to the barnacle this way? :D

Gyazo GIF of flashing barnacle:
https://gyazo.com/e599e70a866799c68ce86ab32d5c988e

Last edited:
HOLY CRAP...I can confirm the barnacle glowing! It does not seem to appear when shooting the center, but at the shell. I also got it to pulse when shooting in a pattern. Can we morse something to the barnacle this way? :D

Gyazo GIF of flashing barnacle:
https://gyazo.com/e599e70a866799c68ce86ab32d5c988e

Thanks for the gif!
Yes, it slightly glows in its central part... Now a video could be worth recording...

Can you specify laser Type and Class?

Last edited:
is it not simply the light effect of the laser bumping on the barnacle? I'll try again tonight. And i'll record if no one have done it at that point.

Shoot the bloody logos! That shot was smack bang on the little logo on the left!

If confirmed - get three cmdrs to shoot all three at the same time.

And then watch hell's maw open...

Or just eat some biscuits as not much happens... :D

Last edited:
is it not simply the light effect of the laser bumping on the barnacle? I'll try again tonight. And i'll record if no one have done it at that point.

No...shooting the ground next to it for any kind of duration or pulse pattern does not illuminate the area once shooting stopped.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Shoot the bloody logos! That shot was smack bang on the little logo on the left!

I had that theory too...thats why I aimed. But hitting areas in the brown seashell like part did result in better response, afais.

I agree!
Three CMDRs shooting the three symbols could be a thing! ;)

Imagine if they are 3 buttons to "push", with energy...

Last edited:
Here...my experiments so far showing the lightshow in action:
https://youtu.be/-tYW_JK2G3M

Damn... can't rep any more :)

- So taking a real close at your gif - I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that this is definitely a deliberate behaviour from the barnacle tip.

Bugged lighting effects are the obvious potential culprit - but I'd expect those to be 'left-overs' from lighting effects that you see as you shoot the barnacle.

Take another look at the gif that @locastan posted: https://gyazo.com/e599e70a866799c68ce86ab32d5c988e

And focus your eyes on the right-hand 'claw'. You can see that it remains 'unlit' for the whole time he's shooting, and then suddenly starts glowing as the rest of the thing does.

That's not a bug imho - that's intentional behaviour.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom