UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Damn... can't rep any more :)

- So taking a real close at your gif - I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that this is definitely a deliberate behaviour from the barnacle tip.

Bugged lighting effects are the obvious potential culprit - but I'd expect those to be 'left-overs' from lighting effects that you see as you shoot the barnacle.

Take another look at the gif that @locastan posted: https://gyazo.com/e599e70a866799c68ce86ab32d5c988e

And focus your eyes on the right-hand 'claw'. You can see that it remains 'unlit' for the whole time he's shooting, and then suddenly starts glowing as the rest of the thing does.

That's not a bug imho - that's intentional behaviour.

Yes. Also note the charge animation effect starting to light up from tip outwards. No other rock or surface hit with beams have lighted up like this. I tried...rocks only show a pilot flame at the hit point or do nothing.

Since we know that UA's align themselves with merope, and that the barnacle are found around this system,
one idea would be area with barnacles act as a "pole" for the UA to align with.

Bringing an UA to the barnard loop region and see if it points at something over there might be helpfull and would make sense.

UA_Theory.jpg

I definitely think there is more to find with these barnacles/UA, does anyone else think its a bit off if the only thing new in this patch was what we've already found, especially given how many hints were dropped so soon after Horizons release?

Anyway I'm out scouring nebulae regardless. Found a few interesting things (a planet with a 900km DRP zone, planets with over 100% composition, water magma) but nothing which seems related to our investigations in this thread.

So has anyone found any new barnacles in the last days? There are no reports of that.

I went to Pleione 11A and must say that even having the coords it wasn't easy to locate the barnacle spot. After I landed another commander kept on appearing and disappearing, after a while I realized he also couldn't find it for some time.

I tried 3 other moons, looking at locations similar to the one I visited and the one I saw on YT videos (ie in 'rivers') but of course found no new ones. Then again, the beauty of the landscape and the feeling of actually exploring distant planets was really great.

Last edited:
Might be "old news" and unrelated...
Anyone remember the Boobleheads Trailer?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCHt4vqFN5c

I remember going into the North America Sector NN-T C3-15 (00:20 in the Video) back then, pre-Horizons of course.
(based on the "Alien" type look of the figurine before it is revealed - and the "Also sprach Zarathustra" (by Strauss) Music score to introduce it)
Found nothing of course and it was certainly a far shot back then...

But if there is indeed some hint to all Trailer/Teaser Videos, now with Horizons and landable Planets (and this being a rather large Nebula) things might have changed.
This might now be worth a 2nd look so to speak, if anyone is near or generally interested.
It just isn't a Nebula just around the corner like the Pleiades - but not too far away either.

North America Sector NN-T C3-15 could be worth checking for sure...

So has anyone found any new barnacles in the last days? There are no reports of that.

I went to Pleione 11A and must say that even having the coords it wasn't easy to locate the barnacle spot. After I landed another commander kept on appearing and disappearing, after a while I realized he also couldn't find it for some time.

I tried 3 other moons, looking at locations similar to the one I visited and the one I saw on YT videos (ie in 'rivers') but of course found no new ones. Then again, the beauty of the landscape and the feeling of actually exploring distant planets was really great.
I haven't, so I went back to locations where I found 3 days ago 3 barnacles - but couldn't find them. exactly same coordinates. all gone.
interesting to hear if someone have found anything the last couple of days

Plasma Accelerators doing their thing.

purplez.jpg

Honestly, I think it might be an artefact of the lighting mechanism, but would also happily declare I'm too cynical these days. The glow effect is basically the same as for beams, but purple.

Last edited:
Rep for you.

Did you notice some change in the barnacle's "song" when lit?

Things to try, that comes to my mind.

1. More commanders shooting the logo (already suggested) or specific part of the shell.
  2. Prolonging the burst.
  3. Shooting in some pattern.
  4. Shooting in specific phase of barnacle's "song".

No audible changes during shooting or cool off phase. The humdrum of the beams is pretty loud though.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

*snip*

Honestly, I think it might be an artefact of the lighting mechanism, but would also happily declare I'm too cynical these days. The glow effect is basically the same as for beams, but purple.

Did the glow persist after the shot ended? Its really hard to tell if anything is happening there on a still screenshot. :/

In that gif where the laser shoots from the left side, the barnacle lights up a little after the beam starts hitting it. If you look carefully you can see the exact moment it all starts glowing. If it's an artifact of the lighting mechanism, it's a really elaborate bug :D

Agreed on the fact he uses the singular form of nebula and then relates. It does seem contradictory to this quote though:

and this one:

and this one:

and this one!:

So I'm not sure what to think, but I think we need to be careful of assuming anything by over-analysing MB's quotes as we've seen in the past. Open minds are important right now. One thing is for certain.. We won't find any in other nebulae if we stop looking for them!

It might be worth noting that in the first clue, his use of the plural might have been because he was sort of pretending that he wasn't giving the only nebula they could be found in. The second time he used the plural was in relation to us asking that question. They might still exist only in one nebula, but might be from elsewhere.

When he said that nebulae were a logical place, he might mean that someone put them there to be found by us and we were likely to look there. He actually said some were placed there to be found, but what if he meant "in universe" as well is just a meta thing of the devs putting them there.

Deleted member 38366

D
North America Sector NN-T C3-15 could be worth checking for sure...

Just checked the System Map (never looked at it post-Horizons).
Sadly no landable Planets within that specific System.
But it sits at a little distance from the Nebula anyway.
ELITE-NN-T-C3-15a.jpg

ELITE-NN-T-C3-15b.jpg

I haven't, so I went back to locations where I found 3 days ago 3 barnacles - but couldn't find them. exactly same coordinates. all gone.
interesting to hear if someone have found anything the last couple of days

Are you 100% sure? I thought I read FD confirmed the locations are "fixed", apear in both solo and open every time you go there etc. Are they ones from the "sheet" at start of this thread?

Michael Brookes

Game Director
99% it's not a mistake, and MB is talking about ONE nebula, in his statement: in fact he is not only saying "nebula" and not "nebulae or nebulas": he is saying "relates" and not "relate", so there should be TWO ERRORS in a row! Very unlikely.

Since his comment came after the discover of the Barnacles in Merope, we can assume two things:

1) he is still talking about the Pleiades Nebula, saying that it is related to their Origin. Mmmm... I don't think so...
2) he is talking about another ONLY ONE nebula where they can be found, and he cannot hint it, because it's related to their origin. I bet on this one.

I meant nebulae.

Michael

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom