UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Looting and crafting ;)

Indeed. What with confirmation that a minor faction is going to be elevated to "Major Power" this year, and information about some engineers being loyal to specific factions... I'm guessing that Sirius Corporation will be the new power, and suspect we will need to royally kiss bottom with them in order to get advanced jump drives...

As for the revelation of the location of the Antares wreckage, I don't think it will lead to anything interesting. The fact that no organic remains being recovered is intriguing though...

Last edited:
I just found a Barnacle i cant match to the ones i took a picture of before. Late, tired and sliightly wasted, maybe anyone sees some pattern i just can't spot?
View attachment 98553View attachment 98554View attachment 98555
The last 2 are from Pleiades Sector JC-U b3-2 (1 and 2) and the first is from Pleione 11A (all exact coords visible in the screenies). Going to see if it's a system specific thing - maybe those in pleiade all show the same pattern, but different from those in jc-u. To tired now though, maybe someone want's to go ahead and find out if there's anything to it, otherwise i'll follow up tomorrow after work.
Fly safe Cmdrs and for %§$ sake make sure that cockpit fridge never let's your beer go cold.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

I like this as well ! If the Spire pattern is consistent, are we looking at a Star Chart or Chart of Constellations? Do the 2 Meta Alloy Spires mean they are a different Star Type??

The Truth is Out There....

Indeed. What with confirmation that a minor faction is going to be elevated to "Major Power" this year, and information about some engineers being loyal to specific factions... I'm guessing that Sirius Corporation will be the new power, and suspect we will need to royally kiss bottom with them in order to get advanced jump drives...

As for the revelation of the location of the Antares wreckage, I don't think it will lead to anything interesting. The fact that no organic remains being recovered is intriguing though...

Sirius is already a power - Li Yong-Rui.

The lack of organic remains is a good point, any bodies would not decay so where did they go?

Well, updated to the latest software this evening & barnacle spawning seems to be sorted, shame about the BSOD CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT that I'm now getting. 5 crashes tonight.

Nope. Still bugged.
Pleiades Sector JC-U b3-2 125.336325.5291

I really love spending 1 of my 2 hrs a night logging in and out and switching from SRV to ship just to get Barni to spawn. Now that's what I call fun!

Last edited:
There's been a discussion of whether the symbol on the barnacles look like Barnards Loop or the Greater Magellan Cloud. It looks mirrored to me when compared to the GMC, and that'd be a long walk to their home system if that's what the GMC looks like from there. The other image is of Barnards Loop from the other side (at a bit of an angle, yes). Maybe a better guess.

BarnardsLoop.jpgBarnacle.jpg

Perhaps the spots on the left side of the symbols are nebulae that will need aligning to get the right configuration. Has anyone wandered out that way? Might be time for a new exploration trip for me...

:D S

So I just got 2 Meta Alloy from one of the spikes at the Barnacle on Merope 5C and another 2 from the other spike

Background: I've been camped out at this barnacle (Mobius) for a few days ... just staring at the damn thing ... not shooting the spikes ... logged in a bit ago ... I'm the only one there ... another CMDR shows up in an Asp and shoots one of the large (Meta Alloy) spikes from his ship ... Meta Alloy pops out ... so I shoot the other large spike with my SRV ... Meta Alloy pops out .. I shoot the spike again and a second Meta Alloy pops out ... I scoop them both ... drop them in my ship ... head back over and scoop the one up that the other CMDR (who has since left) shot from his Asp ... I shoot that spike and another Meta Alloy drops ... so 4 from 2 spikes

Is this a new behavior? Does the age of the spikes have something do to with how many Meta Alloys it has? Can other spikes grow Meta Alloys if they are allowed to live long enough?

Thoughts?

Just found a UA in HIP 21285, is this normal? I accidentally ran into it and destroyed it, while trying to look at it, I was so juiced when it say ship scan detected that I didnt even check my speed and ran straight into it, so cant confirm the direction it was pointing. gonna try and get another to spawn

EDIT: got another to spawn. this system is 136ly away from Merope, and the UA points directly at it. As soon as I lined them up, I was disconnected from the matchmaking server, go figure.

Last edited:
Just found a UA in HIP 21285, is this normal? I accidentally ran into it and destroyed it, while trying to look at it, I was so juiced when it say ship scan detected that I didnt even check my speed and ran straight into it, so cant confirm the direction it was pointing. gonna try and get another to spawn

EDIT: got another to spawn. this system is 136ly away from Merope, and the UA points directly at it. As soon as I lined them up, I was disconnected from the matchmaking server, go figure.

Yup. Completely normal.

Shell spawn range is 135-150LY

Greetings Commanders.

Subject: Top down view of Barnacle site.
Note: 17 Spikes visible apart from central subject Barnacle.

Screenshot_0215 (2).jpg

Nope. Still bugged.
Pleiades Sector JC-U b3-2 125.336325.5291

I really love spending 1 of my 2 hrs a night logging in and out and switching from SRV to ship just to get Barni to spawn. Now that's what I call fun!
Mmm, after my first BSOD I also had no subsequent barnacle spawns-frustrating!!

So I just got 2 Meta Alloy from one of the spikes at the Barnacle on Merope 5C and another 2 from the other spike

Background: I've been camped out at this barnacle (Mobius) for a few days ... just staring at the damn thing ... not shooting the spikes ... logged in a bit ago ... I'm the only one there ... another CMDR shows up in an Asp and shoots one of the large (Meta Alloy) spikes from his ship ... Meta Alloy pops out ... so I shoot the other large spike with my SRV ... Meta Alloy pops out .. I shoot the spike again and a second Meta Alloy pops out ... I scoop them both ... drop them in my ship ... head back over and scoop the one up that the other CMDR (who has since left) shot from his Asp ... I shoot that spike and another Meta Alloy drops ... so 4 from 2 spikes

Is this a new behavior? Does the age of the spikes have something do to with how many Meta Alloys it has? Can other spikes grow Meta Alloys if they are allowed to live long enough?

Thoughts?

Oh yes. Sometimes they spawn two or three times each on top of the other. I've already reported here a case where I was able to shot 3 times each tree, collecting 6 Meta-Alloys pods.

On a second note:

last night (GMT) it was AMAZING to see so many wings of CMDRs protecting and patrolling the explorers around the Pleiades.
Outside Obsidian Orbital it was a fest of combat ships.
I was able to go around from a Barnacle site to another in my Tanked Clipper, without any issue of sort: no gankers around.
And I tried a couple of instancing experiments with them, switching from Open to Solo to Mobius in front of Barnacles: they always spawned for me.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Has anyone figured out what the patch notes mean by:

I'd go look around in Maia myself, but, I'm 8000+LY away.

Darnielle's Progress is a new AWESOME Planet outpost in Maia: it has OUTFITTING and it is well furnished! It has Class 3 Cannons and Beams, all the Bi-Weave shields, all the Planetary stuff, Hull enhancers, and a lot of other juicy modules.
I suspect it could spawn the Meta-Alloys mission as well.

https://eddb.io/station/outfitting/47951

EDIT: I've added it to the OP.

Last edited:
Darnielle's Progress is a new AWESOME Planet outpost in Maia: it has OUTFITTING and it is well furnished! It has Class 3 Cannons and Beams, all the Bi-Weave shields, all the Planetary stuff, Hull enhancers, and a lot of other juicy modules.
While that is the correct answer, it was not the tin foil hat answer I was hoping for. Thank you.

Salvagable wreckage sites generally aren't that exciting. Is there anything special apart from the persistence?
Are the other persistent crash sites from the CG still there ? If so, is nobody interested in what ships they were ?
Unless you find an Occupied Escape Capsule, I doubt there is much plot there (until the next CG)

I messed about with an UA and a meta-alloy seed yesterday. Nothing happened, even when I got them to touch each other.

The most interesting observation is how the objects reflect light. This was in daylight (not quit noon) conditions.
The UA is very bright. Almost white. The meta-alloy is quite dark, even in the sunlight.

The grey bits on the Meta-Alloy and the darkest bits on the UA head (the bits between the ox-head markings) seem like the same material. They still reflect light very differently.

Probably just settings on the 3D models. They are most likely optimized for different light environments.

Edit: I thought I was able to spot a barnacle from 9km yesterday, but it turned out to be Commander Darwins shiny white Cutter. It was beautiful in the sunlight.:)

The barnacle became visible for me at about 3km.

Last edited:
Are the other persistent crash sites from the CG still there ? If so, is nobody interested in what ships they were ?
Unless you find an Occupied Escape Capsule, I doubt there is much plot there (until the next CG)

From looking at the wreckage during the CG they were mostly Clippers and Federal Assault/Drop/Gunships. There is more discussion of in the SS1/Antares thread.

I suspect it could spawn the Meta-Alloys mission as well.

https://eddb.io/station/outfitting/47951

EDIT: I've added it to the OP.

That region is shaping up to be quite important to the game. All that is needed in the Pleiades now is a shipyard, and players will never have to leave the area if they don't want to.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom