Detailed DK2/CV1 Setup Guide with Oculus Runtime 1.3+

I have the same issue here.

All drivers installed OK, latest (AMD) graphics drivers installed, the Oculus app tells me that everything is connected & happy - but can't get anything to actually display in the DK2 headset. :(

I also have a message saying that my computer is below spec & the DK2 is unsupported. I'm wondering if it's complaining about my AMD 7870 graphics card.

Just to say that I fixed this issue today.

My DK2 hasn't been used for a (fairly long) while, and what seems to have happened is that the HDMI cable has somehow busted itself. I replaced it, and everything sprang into life.

So if you have a similar issue (everything works except video on the headset) try replacing the cable. To open it, push at the bottom of the panel at the front, and slide up.

You must skip the "rift" setup! The "rift" they are refering to is for the CV1. Just go to oculus home, settings,devices and you should see the DK2 detected there. If not unplug the usb's(and aux power to DK2) and re-insert/re-power.

Yes, I got past that already. I've also tried downloading ED from the Oculus store and trying that - that is almost identical.

What I'm seeing is

1. The rift loading screen (white space with the floating dust), now with the ED logo in the middle and a "please wait", and spinning wait cursor
2. On my main screen, it's clearly started ED up (I can hear the menu "ping" as I move around it), but totally blank
3. On the blank screem, all I see is the 1 line of the server it's connected to

Hope the CV1 experience is better.

BTW, I downloaded a couple of other rift games/demos from Oculus Home and they work fine, so it sound like it might be an ED thing?

Help please !!!

Last edited:
What I'm seeing is

1. The rift loading screen (white space with the floating dust), now with the ED logo in the middle and a "please wait", and spinning wait cursor
2. On my main screen, it's clearly started ED up (I can hear the menu "ping" as I move around it), but totally blank
3. On the blank screem, all I see is the 1 line of the server it's connected to

Plugged it into the HDMI port of the second card. Worked. Go figure!

I normally keep my DK2 unplugged when I don't need it, and I found that after I plug it in, I often get the problem that when I start ED I can see the window on my monitor with the game, but nothing on the DK2.

What usually helps is launchiung the Oculus app, and if I can't see that welcome screen with the warning ("blah blah hover your cursor for 2 sec over this to dismiss... blah"), then after switching the DK2 off (on the device) and on again, it gets detected by the Oculus app and then it shows that warning screen, and afterwards the main Oculus menu (store, and installed apps etc). Once I can see that I have no problem getting ED to run.

Javert

Volunteer Moderator
Couple of questions:

Has anyone else confirmed the above advice that you must move your ED to your C drive otherwise DK2 doesn't work? I have ED installed on a different drive so I'm sure this will be an issue for me (haven't tested yet as servers seem to be down).

Also in the Oculus application I am getting some warnings on my DK2 device that I might need to update my USB drivers. However windows device manager (Windows 7 ) says I have the best USB drivers.

Lucky for you guys with your in game problems or DK2 connectivity issues. Oculus setup doesn't even run for me.

Problem signature: Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: oculussetup.exe
Problem Signature 02: 1.0.0.0
Problem Signature 03: 56f4d830
Problem Signature 04: System
Problem Signature 05: 4.0.0.0
Problem Signature 06: 53b51323
Problem Signature 07: 23b3
Problem Signature 08: 1b
Problem Signature 09: System.NotSupportedException
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

I have been unable to find any info regarding this problem and have been unable to fix it so far.

This is running W7 with SP1.

I don't know what is being invoked that is causing problems but I'm downloading a few .net updates to see whether it's "SP1 + a few little other updates" that is considered supported lol

EDIT:

A few people on Oculus forums had the same issue and recommended installing:
KB2670838 and KB3033929

EDIT2:

Installing updates fixed the issue. Clearly it requires a little bit more than just SP1 :) Time to address the upcoming problems that I will find after installation :D

EDIT3:

No further issues other than the smearing. Game runs a hell of a lot smoother however, it is clear that supersampling and resolution changes do not work. This only exacerbates the primary complaint I have which is being unable to read anything.

I don't even know that the resolution increases in CV1 would be significant enough to address this issue though, it is such a poor UI for VR. Hopefully FD do something about it in the future (although I very much doubt it).

Having the game mirror is excellent though, now friends with little flight time can be easily instructed without me asking them to remove the headset and pass it to me so that I can see what they have messed up!

Last edited:
Lucky for you guys with your in game problems or DK2 connectivity issues. Oculus setup doesn't even run for me.

Problem signature: Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: oculussetup.exe
Problem Signature 02: 1.0.0.0
Problem Signature 03: 56f4d830
Problem Signature 04: System
Problem Signature 05: 4.0.0.0
Problem Signature 06: 53b51323
Problem Signature 07: 23b3
Problem Signature 08: 1b
Problem Signature 09: System.NotSupportedException
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057

I have been unable to find any info regarding this problem and have been unable to fix it so far.

This is running W7 with SP1.

I don't know what is being invoked that is causing problems but I'm downloading a few .net updates to see whether it's "SP1 + a few little other updates" that is considered supported lol

EDIT:

A few people on Oculus forums had the same issue and recommended installing:
KB2670838 and KB3033929

EDIT2:

Installing updates fixed the issue. Clearly it requires a little bit more than just SP1 :) Time to address the upcoming problems that I will find after installation :D

I get a crash every time I run the installer...is this due to the above? The problem event name for me says APPCRASH though.

What do you mean when you recommend installing KB2670838 and KB3033929?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Javert

Volunteer Moderator
Couple of questions:

Has anyone else confirmed the above advice that you must move your ED to your C drive otherwise DK2 doesn't work? I have ED installed on a different drive so I'm sure this will be an issue for me (haven't tested yet as servers seem to be down).

Also in the Oculus application I am getting some warnings on my DK2 device that I might need to update my USB drivers. However windows device manager (Windows 7 ) says I have the best USB drivers.

OK so to answer my own question, it worked for me even though my ED installation is on my E drive, so for me at least I did not have to move ED to the C drive to make it work.

I haven't done any detailed testing yet but I just wanted to make sure my DK2 is working first.

I did notice that if I switch back to monitor mode, I am left in a lower resolution and then have to change the resolution back to HD, but this is a minor issue.

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: OculusSetup.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 56f4d830
Fault Module Name: d3d9.dll
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 51a79c8e
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000057fa
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: ....

This is what I get when I try to run the Oculus set up exe which crashes straight away every time.

Does it make sense to anyone??

Why is it calling d3d9.dll?

Hi drkaii and thanks for the post. I decided to run a search of all d3d9.dll files on my machine in case something was conflicting and found about 15 of them, mainly in sweetfx style folders. I deleted these and I no longer get this crash in case anyone else gets this.

PHEW!!!! :)

Thanks to the OP for the detailed instructions.

I've followed those. I have also transferred my Elite over to Oculus Home. I'm running a DK2, with a GTX 980 and latest drivers on Windows 10.

In the HMD all I see is a space backdrop splash screen (which looks pretty horrible) and a frozen hourglass. The game is running fine on the desktop.

Other content is running perfectly well through Oculus Home on the DK2.

I note that one of the previous tricks to gettin the DK2 to run Elite with 0.8 was to set the monitor refresh to 75Hz. I'm clutching at straws here but my (realtively old Dell) monitor will only support 75Hz at like 1200x800 tops.

I'm tempted to install Windows 7 on another drive.

Cheers

I'm also getting this issue. Head tracking works but it renders in a window on the desktop.

Thanks to the OP for the detailed instructions.

I've followed those. I have also transferred my Elite over to Oculus Home. I'm running a DK2, with a GTX 980 and latest drivers on Windows 10.

In the HMD all I see is a space backdrop splash screen (which looks pretty horrible) and a frozen hourglass. The game is running fine on the desktop.

Other content is running perfectly well through Oculus Home on the DK2.

I note that one of the previous tricks to gettin the DK2 to run Elite with 0.8 was to set the monitor refresh to 75Hz. I'm clutching at straws here but my (realtively old Dell) monitor will only support 75Hz at like 1200x800 tops.

I'm tempted to install Windows 7 on another drive.

Cheers

Exactly the same problem I have with my DK2, Windows 10, GTX760 SLI (like thesarin, headtracking seems to work - the intro video appears in a cinema-like mode but we have the hour glass)

Edit: Eventually started working

Last edited:
when I try to run the Oculus set up exe which crashes straight away every time.

Does it make sense to anyone??

Try copying the OculusSetup.exe from Downloads to Desktop before starting it.
I know... it doesn't make any sense but it did work for me.

Also, there is a "OculusSetup.log" logfile in %APPDATA%\..\LOCAL\Oculus, it may contains some useful messages.

Last edited:
Try copying the OculusSetup.exe from Downloads to Desktop before starting it.
I know... it doesn't make any sense but it did work for me.

Also, there is a "OculusSetup.log" logfile in %APPDATA%\..\LOCAL\Oculus, it may contains some useful messages.

Installer has to be on C:, my downloads is redirected to G:\ and copying to C:\temp and running worked straight away.

Installing now hope I don't have to copy Elite to C: though poster's experience above suggests this may not be the case

7) In the DESKTOP version of Home (both are always open), go to settings > general > Allow unknown sources - switch this last on*
8) Run Elite, switch to HMD (Speakers/Headphones) and you might need to restart after this

I did had to reboot after 7) for Elite to find the occulus ( HMD options in Graphics/3D ). Restarting the Oculus service was not enough...

Works great.
The new "Asynchronous Timewarp" thingy is doing wonders for eliminating shoppiness. But is it the cause for the black smearing ?

Just to say this works fine for AMD users, I'm on Win 8.1, you must install the Crimsons 16.3.2 drivers for it to work correctly

Appears I Spoke too soon. I do not have HMD option in ED. I've uninstalled Steam VR, have Oculus store (desktop) open at the time, unknown sources enabled, but no option to switch to HMD

Oculus home works on the DK2 however just cannot get it working in ED :S

Edit3: I've redeemed partner key for Elite and re-installing Elite (again) via Oculus store. Annoying as C: drive is only 60GB :mad:

Final Edit: All working with 16.3.2 Drivers, must use the Elite partner key and D/L from Oculus Store nothing else worked. However, now working smooth as butter and very pleased!

Last edited:
Top Bottom