Community Event / Creation [Fuel Rats Community Goal] The Big Jump.

Greetings, Commander. [redface]

You may have heard of the Fuel Rats. You may have met one, or even called one for help (we don't judge... much :p). You may have heard that we collectively saved more than 10,000 Pilots. You may have heard about April's Fuel Day.
But today's Announcement is much more Dire than that. About a month ago, the Mischief received a Distress Call hailing from the deep reaches of Gliese 1269 (For those not in the know, please have a look this way). After close to a year stuck in the system with no jumping abilities nor enough materials (Boost ? Not even once !), Jaques -the Illustrious Cyborg Barman (only shadowed by our very own Holographic Bartender with Long Range Scanners)- has finally decided to light up the Rat Signal.
With Fuel Reserves dwindling by the minute, and the prospect of an oxygen countdown encroaching, who knows what could be happening in the Station's innermost sanctuary, Jaques' own head ? There is no shame in running out of Fuel, and before us is the proof that Bigger is not always Better (isn't that right, B-grade outfits ?). Experts* estimate that the Station's could very well be on the brink of a catastrophe if not ressuplied within two weeks.
Internal coordination immediately began as Rats prepared to undertake one of the most Formidable Operation they have ever had the pleasure of orchestrating. You should have seen the Rat Cave.

But soon, it became clear the Rats were only a tiny drop of Fuel in Jaques' Colossal Fuel Tank. If it could keep a year's worth of fuel without being able to jump, how much would it need to be brought back to full ? Fuel Rats had a moment of doubt. A moment where they looked back on everything they ever did, on everything they ever hoped to accomplish, on everything they stood for and everything they fought for. Teeth and nails, paws and claws, furs and tails. They could not imagine staying still and doing nothing. They could not FATHOM watching helplessly while someone (no matter how much of this someone was biomechanical engineering) struggled. And from remembering what it was that they really did came an idea so Brilliant, so crazy, so... Unexpected. It could work. It would work. It HAD to work ! A new fire was burning inside each Rat's hearts and tails. A Fire so bright and powerful it could cast shadows over the beacons of Gondor !

Calling the Community.

Fuel Rats deliver Fuel (I've never heard of one delivering Rats, but I guess it could happen one day, you never know...). In fact, Fuel Rats have successfully delivered Fuel to more than 10,000 Pilots as we speak, even though some of those didn't live to tell the tale. Fuel Rats do it for free. They never ask for anything in return (Except Kerenn, he asks for First Borns). Never. But, maybe this once ? Maybe this once, we, the Fuel Rats ; could ask you to help another fellow in need ? And in return, you could feel what it feels like to help someone for the sake of it, to deliver Fuel to those who need it most. To feel the thrill of a good deed coursing through your veins, to smell the perfume of Hydrogen, to bask in the swirling colors.
Imagine what would happen if each and every single one of those 10,000 Pilots wanted to Pay Forward the Kindness and Fuel that was once given to them ? What if, united by Fuel, we made something that is bigger than the sum of its parts ? What if we showed our old ennemies -The Cold, Empty, Cruel Universe ; The Instancing Beings from the Nether Beyond ; Death ; Timers ; Unscoopables- that we are Stronger Together ? Pushing back the boundaries mankind is able to reach ; extending a flicker of warmth, tenderness and fulfilling The Prophecy...

-

This is why Fuel Rats, in concord with Jaques Station and the Pilots Federation, have opened a Community Goal :

• Starting May the Fifth 3302 (05/05/3302, at 15:00 UTC approx)
  • Until May the 12th 3302 (so, for one week).
  • Taking place in Jaques Station, GLIESE 1269.
  • Expected Commodity : Hydrogen Fuel.

HOW TO PARTICIPATE ?

• Buy Hydrogen Fuel. (Check http://www.fuelrats.com/cg/ for some pointers)
  • Go to GLIESE 1269.
  • Dock at Jaques Station.
  • Register on the Bulletin Board.
  • Sell Hydrogen Fuel on the Commodity Market.
  • Rinse and Repeat until the last Tier is reached.
  • ???
  • Profit.

BUT THIS IS NOT ALL THERE IS TO IT !

We (The Fuel Rats) thought of this CG as a way of thanking the Community without which we couldn't do what we do. For running out of Fuel, thank you. For calling us, thank you. For trusting us, thank you. For spreading our tale, thank you. For not hating us when we failed to save you, thank you and remember that you will always be in our hearts and minds.
As such, and much like The Hutton Truckers did before us, we're creating a Lottery. Participants in this Community Goal will be eligible for a Give-Away running parallel to the CG. We will be choosing 10 names out of Raxxla knows how many and send them some special care packages, curated by yours truly.

How to enter the Give-Away ?

• Participate in the CG.
  • Take a screenshot of your Bulletin Board CG Screen (Example)
  • Submit your application here : http://www.fuelrats.com/cg/
    • CMDR Name / XBOX Gamer Tag
    • A Valid Email Address (we'll then ask the winners to give us their physical mail adress too, by the way, to send the package. If you're uncomfortable sharing your personal data on the internet, we may arrange drop-off at a shady local place, I know a guy or two...)
    • The screenshot mentioned above.
  • Wait for it... Wait for it...
  • We'll be choosing more than 10 names and contacting people one by one until 10 packages have been sent. (You never know, someone could refuse his/her prize).

This was Kerenn " Two Jumps " Vatueil,
Fuel Rat P.R.O. (Press Relations Official)

The Fuel Rats : Refuelling Stations... Since 3302 !

• We have Fuel.
  • You don't.
  • Any Question ?

s381jle.png

Picture** by Alec Turner.

*I sometime talk to myself when needing an Expert's opinion.
**Visuals may not represent the exact location or station.

-

P.S. :
It seems our CG arose some controversy because it wasn't very clear what exactly would be happening. As I am away from my usual computer I cannot copy-paste the relevant bits but will update this thread once possible.
Here's the gist of it :

We Fuel Rats reached 10,000 successful operations and celebrated. We then pondered how we could give MORE to the community that fostered us. Thus the plan for a CG to happen. At first it was just to bring Fuel to Wollheim Vision in Fuelum, but the Devs (being the awesome one-upper that they are) found a clever-er way of doing things and turned it to eleven. I wrote a text for the initial CG idea but did not lay eyes upon what would be used for the Jaque's one. This is why I wrote the current thread from a Fuel Rat's point of view, unknowning of Jaque's own plan to do things his way.
What we currently know about it :
  • Jaque has spent close to one year "upgrading" his engines to make the jump to BP.
  • Jaque won't be taking passengers with him. (I've read about docking at Jaque with broken canopy... Don't do it please !) What happens to ship who had docked there once he jumps is not known. What happens if you dock there, undock and die isn't known either. I have absolute faith the Devs will just do something along the lines of the game remembering the last place you docked BEFORE jaque and have you transferred there if needs be.)
  • CG has reached Tier 2 as I'm writing, so it's already a success. I hope you all reach Tier 8.
  • This CG was intended to bring the community together and be an occasion to celebrate and have fun. Together. To see such a controversy surround it and have people "openly wanting it to fail" or people "abandoning this because I hoped to hitch a ride", or feel "insulted, like all of the DWE fleet" brings a colossal amount of sadness to this little heart of mine.
  • I won't be monitoring things until Tuesday.
  • I love you all. Even you, there, who thought this wasn't aimed at you. Yes, you. I love you.

jxU6wHL.jpg

Shamelessly taken from Imgur, who might have taken it from "before the gif".

Last edited:
I have to say that I am pretty intrigued and of course excited to be able to take part in what is an unusual CG for sure - until I read the link about Jaques, I had no idea the station was a broken-cyborg-soldier-barman-interstellar-ship-docking place!!! So, now I am even more intrigued as to the back story and lore behind Jaques, and I frankly think it is fair to say that I will be there. I am going to scope out a few options while I am still helping the SMAC at Morrina, but will certainly be delivering whatever quantities of Hydrogen Fuel the poor fella needs [cue the people who will complain that the profit margin is tiny, so wah-wah!! and so on.... :( ].

I cannot speak for certain for the rest of our small group of players, known locally as the Tea-Baggers, but I don't doubt there will be a few of us die-hard members there taking part, and helping out for the greater good in this case! It will truly be an honour for the Tea-Baggers to fly alongside the Fuel Rats in helping to re-stock Jaques and get him back up and running in terms of his inquisition and exploration of the galaxy, in search of the perfect booze!

See you all soon folks, and I genuinely look forward to meeting up with many of you soon. Kind regards,

The Hat :)

[PS:- When I was new to the game (under two weeks IIRC), I got pulled into Open to do the Hutton Mug CG run in my sidey with 4T of scrap, and was shadowed all the way from Alpha to Hutton by the Fuel Rats who were worried that I may not make it! I did make it, but I have never forgotten that kindness that the Rats showed me, and the fact that they entertained me on the way to Hutton, and I have always held that ED memory very dear :) - Cheers dudes, and I look forward to meeting up with you again soon.]

EDIT: Ninja'd by my good friend Cajun, who has also expressed that the Tea-Baggers will be there to lend a very strong hand ;)

Last edited:
Although I have not personally have had to send out the Rat Signal, I believe the the Fuel Rats have saved me on numerous occasions. By reading and hearing of their exploits and selfless acts of kindness I constantly ensure that I always enough fuel or a fuel scoop and monitor my fuel enroute and alter it if need be. But if I ever get careless I am sure they will be there for me if I need them. It will be my honor and pleasure to assist them in their time of need. As my good friend Andi has said you may see quite a few of the TeaBaggers there.

Although I have not personally have had to send out the Rat Signal, I believe the the Fuel Rats have saved me on numerous occasions. By reading and hearing of their exploits and selfless acts of kindness I constantly ensure that I always enough fuel or a fuel scoop and monitor my fuel enroute and alter it if need be. But if I ever get careless I am sure they will be there for me if I need them. It will be my honor and pleasure to assist them in their time of need. As my good friend Andi has said you may see quite a few of the TeaBaggers there.

Ditto. I'm about 20KLY out and it pains me to think of asking somebody to come bail me out so I'm pretty careful in the sea of brown dwarfs I'm currently in to keep and eye on my safety outlet stars. Interesting timing on Jaques, about an hour before this showed up I'd posted elsewhere that I suspected Jaques might be returning to active duty, maybe this will kick it off.

Fabulous Kerenn (and everyone else involved) ... Jaques? switch off all non-essential modules, sit tight and the communtiy will be with you shortly! In the meantime ...

The holographic bartender appears inside the station with a loud "pop" and starts unloading crates of marmite and absinthe.

Rushing back to the bubble as we speak!

Honestly guys, when back in CEECKIA sector (or even halfway there) it was always reassuring to think you guys have our backs.... Let's see if we can get the rest of the teabagging crew to step up to the plate (of which I'm sure!)

Rushing back to the bubble as we speak!

Honestly guys, when back in CEECKIA sector (or even halfway there) it was always reassuring to think you guys have our backs.... Let's see if we can get the rest of the teabagging crew to step up to the plate (of which I'm sure!)

Can't speak for the other rats (although i'm sure they will all nod in agreement) but we have your back no matter where you are.

My personal motivation is the snickers that I get every now and again.

Fly safe CMDR o7

Craith

Volunteer Moderator
I've rund dry twice, and on fumes a few times, and allthough I never needed to send a rat signal, I really admire your work and will gladly take part in your Community Goal, even with Beta incoming.

The fuel might be spiced up with a bit of Evil Juice or Epsilon Indi Bourbon, and might contain some Ceremonial Heike and Fujin Tea additives.

What? The Fuel Rats stole my community goal!

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=135529&p=3683679&viewfull=1#post3683679

Okay, okay. Seem fair enough. You guys are the experts at refueling ... and have saved my in-game butt twice now. I'll definitely participate in this and, if you could put in a good word to Jaques, please ask him to head down toward NGC 7822 once he gets that drive spun up!

Not to call it but I had this idea back in August 2015: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=176611&p=2718771&viewfull=1#post2718771
:D

And I'm going to miss it as well, im too far away (24KLy) and have no time to take off work and then theres also beta's to try :(

Last edited:
Not to call it but I had this idea back in August 2015: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=176611&p=2718771&viewfull=1#post2718771

And I'm going to miss it as well, im too far away (24KLy) and have no time to take off work and then theres also beta's to try :(

Yes ... I think it's just evidence of how many of us have been frustrated that Jaques' traveling station hasn't been traveling.

I'm actually on my way back from the Formidine Rift now, and was already planning on making my first stop at Jaques (exploration makes me thirsty). I'll try to make a few runs while I'm in the area.

Last edited:
What? The Fuel Rats stole my community goal!
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=135529&p=3683679&viewfull=1#post3683679
Okay, okay. Seem fair enough. You guys are the experts at refueling ... and have saved my in-game butt twice now. I'll definitely participate in this and, if you could put in a good word to Jaques, please ask him to head down toward NGC 7822 once he gets that drive spun up!

Both of you quiet down and accept that you've always been part of The Hive Mind. :D

Last edited:
Never needed the emergency number yet, but you guys are doing a brilliant job.
As some of my fellow teabagger collegues already stated to participate, I'm in as well [big grin]

I've been away from Elite for quite some time now, but I'm coming back to help out Jaques! You all can count me in :)

Just mentioned this to my colleague and funnily enough he was already at Jaques station and he said the nearest Hydrogen is 32ishly away. 4 jumps in his Sidewinder, he's already filled his hold (4 tonnes) and he's convinced that'll do the trick.

Both of you quiet down and accept that you've always been part of The Hive Mind. :D

If there's beer, fuel and snickers I can be quiet :D

Anyway I kinda want to see Jaques make the trip to Obsidian Orbital or somewhere cool. Can you imagine if he "docked" next to another station for a while, bit breaking in terms of trade etc but it would be awesome to see both together same as it was to see capital ships next to stations back in the day :)

Top Bottom