Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: Second Star Relay (17-21 May)

secondstarrelay_banner.jpg

xrIQzKW.png

Buckyball Racing Club is pleased to welcome racers new and old to its very first team event! Teams of three are invited to wing up and show their racing prowess in a relay race round a short lap. The course will take racers to the second star of each system; but don't worry, the longest supercruise distance is still less than 400 light-seconds.

Overview

The start/finish line is at Gardner Ring in Katukilal. The course runs from Gardner Ring to Yu Orbital in Damnon, then Silverberg Orbital in En Kungu, and back to Gardner Ring; or in reverse (Katukilal -> En Kungu -> Damnon -> Katukilal).

Second Star Relay is a relay race for wings of three. Each member of the relay team in turn must complete a lap of the course, recording their times in the normal way (screenshots of start, finish and intermediate waypoints). The start time for racer 2 must not be earlier than the end time for racer 1; the start time for racer 3 must not be earlier than the end time for racer 2. Overall time recorded for the wing will be from the start of racer 1's lap to the end of racer 3's lap.

If you're having any trouble finding wingmates to form a team, the normal place to look is the bar nearest the finish line in Gardner Ring. Strike up a conversation in the bar (either here in this thread, or on the Buckyball Racing Club Discord channel) and you should find some wingmates. If that really doesn't work, drop the organiser a line (PM to drakhyr either here or on Discord, or email drakhyr <at> buckyballracing <dot> org <dot> uk) and I'll make sure to hook you up with some wingmates at a suitable time.

Classes

Entries will be accepted in two race classes:

Open: Racing takes place in the main Elite Dangerous universe. FSD injection is NOT permitted. Enhanced thrusters and (engineer-)modified modules are not available.

Beta Unlimited: Racing takes place in the Beta universe (2.1 / 1.6). FSD injection, enhanced thrusters and engineer-modified modules are all allowed. Enjoy!

Regulations
  • Participating wings may contain no more than one of the following commanders: Aken B., Alot, Cookiebot, Cookiehole, furrycat.
  • Evidence screenshots must be submitted for each racer in a wing (bundling the evidence for all three racers together is preferable, but it's OK if you submit separately)
  • Evidence screenshots required are:
    • Start at Gardner Ring, Katukilal
    • 2 x Intermediate waypoints at Yu Orbital, Damnon system, and Silverberg Orbital, En Kungu system
    • Finish at Gardner Ring, Katukilal
  • Evidence screenshots must be on docking pads at each station so that they show location and time
  • Video recording may be submitted instead of evidence screenshots, providing the video includes frames showing the required screenshot information
  • Laps may be run in either direction (Katukilal -> Damnon -> En Kungu -> Katukilal or Katukilal -> En Kungu -> Damnon -> Katukilal) but all racers in a wing must complete the lap in the same direction
  • The start time for each racer (as evidenced by screenshot or video) must not be earlier than the finish time for the preceding racer
  • Recorded time for each wing will be from the start of the first racer to the finish of the third racer
  • The use of wing functionality (wing beacons, navlock, etc) is permitted and encouraged
  • Permitted uses of wing functionality include those coming from a fourth wing member
  • Entries must start before 23:59:59 GMT on Saturday 21st May, and be submitted by 08:00 GMT on Sunday 22nd May.
  • Any ship may be used (the waypoints are all starports, so large landing pads are available and the open class is available to racers without Horizons)
How to Enter
  1. Get to Gardner Ring in Katukilal, and form a wing with two wingmates.
  2. Make repairs, fill with fuel, and ensure your ships are outfitted to exactly how you want for the race.
  3. Racer 1 return to the surface and prepare for launch.
  4. Racer 1 take a screenshot (normally F10), or start video capture, showing start location and time
  5. Racer 1 call at each intermediate waypoint, taking a screenshot on the landing pad showing location and time
    • Yu Orbital in Damnon
    • Silverberg Orbital in En Kungu
  6. Racer 1 returns to Gardner Ring in Katukilal, taking a screenshot on arrival
  7. Racer 2 takes screenshot and launch - the time on racer 2's starting screenshot must not be earlier than that on racer 1's finishing screenshot
  8. Racer 2 repeats steps 4-6
  9. Racer 3 repeats steps 7 and 4-6
  10. Send a PM to me (drakhyr), or email drakhyr <at> buckyballracing <dot> org <dot> uk, with the following:
    • Names of each commander in the team
    • Forum names for each commander if different from commander names
    • Ship names and ship turns for each member of the team
    • Race time
    • Either a link to your screenshots, or a link to your video. If submitting as screenshots there should be 12 in total: each of the 3 racers should have a start from Gardner Ring, 2 x intermediate waypoints and finish at Gardner Ring.
For guidance on what to capture on screenshots, see the How to Enter page of the Buckyball Racing Club website.

Last edited:
I'm generally around between 5:45am and 7:15am UK time if anyone needs a team mate. Of course I quite understand if nobody else is awake at this ungodly hour and will just continue raining missiles down upon Metcalf Keep in the meantime.

I'm generally around between 5:45am and 7:15am UK time if anyone needs a team mate. Of course I quite understand if nobody else is awake at this ungodly hour and will just continue raining missiles down upon Metcalf Keep in the meantime.

Awake: yep (UTC+2)
At work: yep

I'm also searching for wingmates, should be available around 17-20h UTC, but only Tuesday and Wednesday. So not sure if I can make it at all.

I need to check the distances involved to decide which ship(s) to bring but if I'm feeling up to racing I can usually make 16:00 to 19:00 game time most weekdays. If I need to tweak loadouts or fetch a ship from somewhere, then it's best that I know in advance that I can wing up (though my racing Cobra and Adder are both currently at Jameson Memorial so it's not far to get them and they are both in a racing loadout, barring fine-tuning for this specific race).

At those times, it's still the previous day where I live. And the rest of the family is usually in bed, so I would be available to race with you, Alec. ::raise hand::

I'm on UTC+2 too, hard to know in advance when I'll have a couple of hours to spare, it's usually easier for me to be available in the morning (8-10 UTC), but I understand most of the people are at work at this time of the day (and I really should be, too [sour]). As for the evenings, my usual time window is around 20-22 UTC, but hardly I can tell which day (Saturday is at 90% a no-no though).

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
I'm struggling to make it back in time for this and I don't think I will :( Real life kept me down by the river over the whole weekend, though it's a heck of a lot cleaner now than it was ;)

I'm going to have to dig around in the glove compartment and see if I have anything in there...
YQZYbb7h.jpg

I've taken a peek around the course and thought I should let you know that, according to a local Galnet article in Katukilal, the system has been in a state of conflict since May 15th. I'm not sure how long these things last without player intervention but hopefully it will be over before the weekend... . I did not have to deal with any interdictions myself but the increased chance of encountering hostiles will certainly make for an extra element of risk in the race to the finish line.
I'm ready to run in my racing Cobra; though my Adder could complete the course in one jump less, it is much slower and I'm hoping that the Null Geodesic can make the time up on its station approaches/exits. I should be around tomorrow evening 16:00-18:30 game time, maybe longer (depending on whether I can get the Europa League final on radio).

I aim to be hanging around the bar tomorrow evening from around 1730 Elite Time.

I should be around tomorrow evening 16:00-18:30 game time, maybe longer

Cookiebots! Catch them! :D
Not 100% sure if I can make it around that time, but if everything goes nominally I should be there.
I've scouted the course today and have an evil plan (no liability assumed about it working though), and if you're both ok with teaming up with some weird Cookie-based-lifeform I'd be happy to grab the opportunity and wing up with you. :)

Cookiebots! Catch them! :D
Not 100% sure if I can make it around that time, but if everything goes nominally I should be there.
I've scouted the course today and have an evil plan (no liability assumed about it working though), and if you're both ok with teaming up with some weird Cookie-based-lifeform I'd be happy to grab the opportunity and wing up with you. :)

Sounds like a plan, well most of one! hope to see you both then.

Status update:

As any old soldier, old PSU's never die, they just fade away. Well, mine instead seems to just have died, the good old way. :x

Good news: I'm a "computer guy" for a living, I can replace it at work in a blink.

Bad news: the psu i planned on for a replace isn't in stock at my place, I'll need to order it and wait some days. [where is it]

With any chance that should put me out of the race for good, I'll let you know if I manage to get the coffee-grinder back up and running before the deadline.

I suspect that upon closer inspection, I may find a new model of tiny "shorter-cookiebots" covering up the electric board of the dead thing :p...

I could always try to install Elite on the Netflix machine I'm using now, it's a teraflops-crunching Atom quad-core with 2 GB of ram and embedded gpu.

Chances are my 8-year-old elitebook would still be a better bet than this dongle-thing hanging from the side of the TV :D

I don't believe that Alec is in the Beta, so I think that qualifies me?

edit: weird, part of that post was cut off. It was also supposed to say, "If he is...then join us!"

Nope, no beta for me. So ... came close to having a team this morning with both Seneh and Kliggish online at the same time but RL interruptions for the former and me finishing off Cubeo missions rathered scuppered the endeavour. I wonder if it's time to change the rules to allow teams of two?

P.S. it's Lord Turner from now on if you please :D

Last edited:
RL is keeping me busy this week, so not sure of availability.

Hopefully manage to be around at some point...

Top Bottom