Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: Second Star Relay (17-21 May)

I'm currently in Open, optimizing my build and practising the individual legs of the course in my Hauler "Yellow Snow".

I also have a scary fast Hauler "Yellow Avalanche" parked up in Gardner in Beta, if anyone fancies a run there.

I pretty much have all day today (GMT+2), so let me know if you want to race.

Did I imagine it or did the rules originally say that all team members had to be in the same type of ship? Anyway, can't see that rule anymore so I guess not. I should be on later today, when I've done all my jobs.

I also have a plan in mind of how a wing of three can effectively be using wing beacons at every stop which I will publish before then.

It looks like this:
ssr_wingplan.png

Last edited:
I also have a plan in mind of how a wing of three can effectively be using wing beacons at every stop which I will publish before then.

Presenting: Three Degrees of Separation
(who have just achieved exactly that)

fFJPIap.png

Featuring: Cmdr Alec Turner, Cmdr Stern Winter & Cmdr Edelgard Von Rhein

We're submitting out laps separately but they should all be marked "Three Degrees of Separation".

Last edited:
LOL, I thought we agreed upon "Three Degrees of Separation", but I guess it can be the same thing :D

Doh! you're quite right (and that's what I put in my pm'd race submission). I've edited my post - forget you ever heard the name "Three Degrees of Freedom" - they don't exist.

Well I'm pleased to report that we have our first actual completed entry, as the Three Degrees of Freedom Separation shoot into first place on the leaderboard.

LyeR4LJ.png

Last edited:
Viva La Three Degrees!

Two degrees having a post race chin wag ..

0Vo8B2j.png
One degree and our host go for a post race base jump ..

JwynvgH.png

Where are our SRV's? Errr ... video coming tomorrow hopefully.
P.S. my screenshots seem really gloomy and dull compared to what I see in game (I've already boosted the gamma on those two). Anyone got any ideas? I'm using nvidia drivers with full output dynamic range (which I mention because my screenshots look a bit like they might without full dynamic range).

Last edited:
Sorry I'm not feeling up to further racing today; some stomach trouble. Hopefully I'll be feeling better tomorrow. Thanks to Alec and Stern for racing with me and good luck to anyone else hoping to get a run in this evening. o7

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Sorry I wasn't around yesterday, let's just say it really wasn't a good day. Now I also have extra pressure in getting everything ready for my race, especially as I already lost a day because of some thing called the engineers release, or something like that anyway.

This is probably going to sound like a dumb question, but how does dropping wing beacons help?

Well done to alec , stern and edelgard for getting a run in. I wanted to but couldn't because the game hated me yesterday. for me.. elite is not a multiplayer game as much as it wants to be. maybe my 50mb connection isn't good enough... I was getting a lot of bugs yesterday not seeing people in wings. and it reminded me of the frustration we had doing the hutton relay. sorry I couldn't get it togeather for team beta furry... and sorry to drakhyr for not getting a run in for your race. lots of sorry. for fdevs sorry looking multiplayer functionality.

Sorry I wasn't around yesterday, let's just say it really wasn't a good day. Now I also have extra pressure in getting everything ready for my race, especially as I already lost a day because of some thing called the engineers release, or something like that anyway.
This is probably going to sound like a dumb question, but how does dropping wing beacons help?
youll be cool as long as it isn't a team race. ;) wing beacons automatically drop you to your wing mate when you are close.. so no need to slow down. saves a fair bit of time.

Last edited:
Likewise with the sorry. It's a good thing we cancelled camping, my mom broke her foot, so didn't get in the solo or duals runs that I was hoping to do.

xrIQzKW.png

A second completed entry did arrive before the closing bell. It required a second attempt, as the first suffered interdiction by that terror of the spacelanes known only in hushed whispers as "crying baby"... Nonetheless, Cmdr <-LightSpeed-> did return just before Stern Winter gave up waiting for his return, with me providing the anchor leg. Triple Wing Bacon followed the same style of two Haulers and one Lakon, but were not able to improve on the previous record, finishing one minute slower overall. (And apologies wingmates, looking at leg times that's probably in part due to my leg being the slowest of all by a good 45 seconds...)

Triple Wing Bacon assembled after the race:
P1h6RIv.jpg

Thanks to all those who took part (or attempted to). What I'm taking from this is that the relay idea potentially has merit, but needs better timing, marketing, and probably getting the signup thread posted earlier so racers have more time to assemble wings.

Ozric's MWM coming Monday to give you a bit more racing before 2.1 drops at the end of the week...

http://i.imgur.com/xrIQzKW.png

A second completed entry did arrive before the closing bell. It required a second attempt, as the first suffered interdiction by that terror of the spacelanes known only in hushed whispers as "crying baby"... Nonetheless, Cmdr <-LightSpeed-> did return just before Stern Winter gave up waiting for his return, with me providing the anchor leg. Triple Wing Bacon followed the same style of two Haulers and one Lakon, but were not able to improve on the previous record, finishing one minute slower overall. (And apologies wingmates, looking at leg times that's probably in part due to my leg being the slowest of all by a good 45 seconds...)

Triple Wing Bacon assembled after the race:
http://i.imgur.com/P1h6RIv.jpg

Thanks to all those who took part (or attempted to). What I'm taking from this is that the relay idea potentially has merit, but needs better timing, marketing, and probably getting the signup thread posted earlier so racers have more time to assemble wings.

Ozric's MWM coming Monday to give you a bit more racing before 2.1 drops at the end of the week...

And thanks to our host for another great race and another fresh idea. OK, admittedly it was kinda tricky to get organised (I do think perhaps going for teams of just two might have generated more takeup as it's exponentially harder to get three of us together in the same instance) but when it all came together it was actually enormous fun (and pretty frenetic, getting everyone in the right place at the right time). Incidentally, prior to forming the Three Degreees of Separation I did begin a two man attempt with Kligg and I reckon it would have been possible for runner #2 to provide beaconage for runner #1 at all stops AND get back in time to begin lap #2. I think the only station that would have been without beacon assistance in a two man attempt would have been the 1st stop of the 2nd lap.

I'd also like to pass on a virtual high five to Stern and Edelgard (hope you're feeling better). That's my first EVER Buckyball podium slot (chuffed despite there being only one other competitor).

Last edited:
i really enjoyed the relay concept and think it should be revisited in the future. As Alec says maybe an option for teams of two. Getting three together proved tricky, but was ultimately well worth it!

big thanks to drakhyr and Stern for waiting around for me.

see you tomorrow evening ;)

Top Bottom