Space House

I think it'd be... a nice touch, to have a 'homestead'.

I'm thinking something a little bigger than a Large docking slot, with a hydroponics area, warehouse and house.

That you can set up on a given planet / moon, on a flat area large enough for the 'homestead' (say, 150x250 meters), and would allow for storage of ships - maybe allow you to deposit fuel from storage (so with a couple of runs with a fuel scoop, you can 'fill the tanks' at your place.), maybe materials / items for crafting.

Something like this:
jivv6u.png

This could be achieved with a larger (size 5-6?) module that covers the 'cost' of building the thing, and is used up in the process of 'creating'.

This would let players create a home - hell, even a small 'town' among friends, of private landing pads.

No way to earn money for nothing (in fact it would be a money sink), but it's definitely something I (and those I play with) would be interested in.

The land assigned for construction.

With the permission of the ruling faction, with the rank of ally. On a pre-allocated (pre-prepared with the help of the faction) space under construction (on non-atmospheric planets cheapest sites, the better the picture outside is more expensive). Several types of "modules" available for construction, ranging in price and appointments, which can be assembled in a kind of "Fort" (put only what you deem necessary).

In the event of a change of the ruling faction, can be revised conditions of "settlers" stay : the price of land lease, a ban on the storage of some equipment (weapons, drugs, etc.), additional fees for use of some modules (hydroponics may potentially produce illegal drugs, require permission to use), each owner is obliged to have a point of propaganda (advertising posters of the ruling faction), flags or a statue of a local ruler.

YES ! We are building a city's.

But most of all, to implement it, if at all ever happens, will be not in the next couple of years.

This is one of the better ideas put forward. Seriously.
It could lead to neighbours feuding over land. Or the wives (in spacesuits) chatting over the fence. Eyeing up the "girl next door" (or Alien) lol.

Copied from: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=245693&p=3827535&viewfull=1#post3827535

My recommendation from previous threads along the station/base discussion:

First Quote
I would recommend that the resource gathering be limited to one or a couple of relatively generic commodities. For discussion's sake, call them "station components". These should only be available from High Tech localities. That way, you are bringing in pre-built modular components. This lends itself to group effort without requiring that a build plan be custom designed by FD every time someone submits for a facility.
To clarify, the facility creator would take components to the desired location, via haulage, and create a foundation.

If you add a banking system to the facility, other players can land on the station and sell components to the facility to complete whatever the current task is (see below for specifics), thereby creating inclusion.

Second Quote
Emplacing the station would get you a facility to land on which would be a respawn location, with the ability to add modules for additional capability.

Modules would include:

Black Market
Refuel
Repair
Restock
Security Hangar - Provides Station Security patrols
Others possible - Crafting, Engineering, etc

It would NOT have Bulletin Board, Commodities, Outfitting, Shipyard and Universal Cartography.

It would have the standard No-Fire zone.

It would not have a faction affiliation, and, as a result, it would not affect the BGS.
With the proposed banking system, the base can have an economy, providing repair, refueling and restock, presuming it has those modules. Black market recommended removed.

Third Quote
Building your own base on a planet, and making a SRV racetrack would be pretty cool.

Would require metals for delivery for upkeep and maintenance, and food deliveries for staff, and paying staff wages, to make it expensive enough to not spam them everywhere.

Seen this in other games, and it is not a good thing. You end up spending all your time husbanding the base, and the game becomes a chore. If you want expense, then make the base Cost to assemble, but the quoted proposal hasn't worked in any game I have seen where the environment is even close to as large as here.

Making the base so expensive to maintain that it becomes tedious will just end up being a waste of the developers' efforts since most people will have to spend a significant amount of time feeding the installation. If you must have a maintenance cost, make it credits, not something that players have to ship in.

Fourth Quote
Lastly, in order to combat the "build and forget" mentality, require "rent" be paid for the facility. DO NOT make this a resource farming exercise since it again prevents anyone without a massive player support or lots of time from having a facility. It should have a Credit cost which can interpreted as wages for station staff, budget for purchasing supplies, etc. A popup once per rent period asking if the player is willing to pay their rent, and 3 refusals equals no more base.
Again, if the base has a bank, then the rent comes from the bank. If the bank cannot pay, the creator is contacted.

Last edited:
Copied from: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=245693&p=3827535&viewfull=1#post3827535

My recommendation from previous threads along the station/base discussion:

First Quote

To clarify, the facility creator would take components to the desired location, via haulage, and create a foundation.

If you add a banking system to the facility, other players can land on the station and sell components to the facility to complete whatever the current task is (see below for specifics), thereby creating inclusion.

Second Quote

With the proposed banking system, the base can have an economy, providing repair, refueling and restock, presuming it has those modules. Black market recommended removed.

Third Quote

Fourth Quote

Again, if the base has a bank, then the rent comes from the bank. If the bank cannot pay, the creator is contacted.
To clarify Chrystoph.
Because FD don't want players to earn 'money for nothing', don't want facilities and such build-able by players, this explicitly doesn't have them.

You'd have the following definite things:
Storage (Ships)
Storage (Fuel) large (pos. unlimited?) fuel tank you can fill from your ship, possibly empty all non-primary tanks into it as a simple mechanic, requiring you to preplan and take a few trips to the local star with a fuel scoop, or local station and spend some credits)
Location is marked on a map for you.
Then the following possible things:
Storage (Equipment) (Internal components / weapons - especially with the Engineers storing the parts you 'like' would be beneficial)
Storage (Crafting Materials)
Repair (possibly minor, possibly full, certainly automated)
Refuel (To do away entirely with the 'fuel storage' mechanic)

Unlikely future possible if implemented:
Walk around inside.

By using a Size 5 or 6 module to create, it would limit it only to people that had played far enough to get an Type 6 or Asp minimum, preventing any new player potentially spamming things up.
Give it a relative cost of probably 1-2 Million Credits, and likely a 'cooldown' from deployment to usable, and job-done.

We can have a home on the frontier.

My proposal does not include a "money for nothing" element. The banking system would have to be initially funded by the creator, then would be a transaction system for resources and to pay rent.

Players bringing in supplies to upgrade the base would have bought them in a normal trading function, then be paid to offload by the bank. If the bank runs dry, you cannot sell on the station.

Repairs and restock would be funded by players purchasing, but profit would be offset by the rent.

While it would be possible, with the correct placement, to make some money, if Frontier uses the same mechanics for the facility as for an NPC facility, that income would be marginal with the rent as a counterbalance. Without bulletin board and commodities functions, you do not have the major monetary transactions of most bases.

The only way that you would normally be able to make significant amounts of money with such a station is if the (theoretical) ability to make value added commodities is added, such as a market for synthesis materials or engineered upgrades. Personally, I like the synthesis market as a concept, since it is a trade of mining time for profit, but I can see where it might not be desirable.

Last edited:
I love this idea, and I'm sure it could be implemented before they have landable planets with atmosphere, cities, forests, animals, oceans, sea creatures, and etc. I'd much rather have this than Engineers.

I'd think you could just use cargo and materials for supplies (a lot more than the space of a module), and can buy construction robots, and etc. I'd also like the option to build in ground, or in the face of a cliff, or on the side of a mountain on stilts, and etc. Maybe add domes for your own "external" atmosphere.

After you can walk around your ship, and drive your SRV around a station, I'd like to see this. :)

My proposal does not include a "money for nothing" element. The banking system would have to be initially funded by the creator, then would be a transaction system for resources and to pay rent.

Players bringing in supplies to upgrade the base would have bought them in a normal trading function, then be paid to offload by the bank. If the bank runs dry, you cannot sell on the station.

Repairs and restock would be funded by players purchasing, but profit would be offset by the rent.

While it would be possible, with the correct placement, to make some money, if Frontier uses the same mechanics for the facility as for an NPC facility, that income would be marginal with the rent as a counterbalance. Without bulletin board and commodities functions, you do not have the major monetary transactions of most bases.

The only way that you would normally be able to make significant amounts of money with such a station is if the (theoretical) ability to make value added commodities is added, such as a market for synthesis materials or engineered upgrades. Personally, I like the synthesis market as a concept, since it is a trade of mining time for profit, but I can see where it might not be desirable.
While I only skimmed it, your proposal includes buy+sell modules, and is a.... bigger separate thing to this..

The concept behind this is literally, to be as simple and within the boundries of FD's remit to make it more possible.

I love this idea, and I'm sure it could be implemented before they have landable planets with atmosphere, cities, forests, animals, oceans, sea creatures, and etc. I'd much rather have this than Engineers.

I'd think you could just use cargo and materials for supplies (a lot more than the space of a module), and can buy construction robots, and etc. I'd also like the option to build in ground, or in the face of a cliff, or on the side of a mountain on stilts, and etc. Maybe add domes for your own "external" atmosphere.

After you can walk around your ship, and drive your SRV around a station, I'd like to see this. :)
Ay, having it other place would be great.
Having a simple thing in space, with a basic box underneath for ship storage, and a couple of solar panels.

But all of that sadly adds complexity.
By limiting it to the most basic viable product, it makes it easier to implement, and more likely to happen.

A simple homestead + hangar on a flat wouldn't require a huge amount to do. :p

If we can get that, then we can try and get the more fancy stuff, like different locales, alternate cosmetic housing / area, even internals to walk around in, then cosmetic options within.

I like the idea of it being built out of modules. With nano-tech it should be perfectly possible to store a collapsed landing pad (S2, S4 and S6 for S/M/L respectively) that "unfolds" after auto-excavation. You could add a module for repairs (S2), a module for reloads (S1) and a module for refueling (S4). Add a comms module for missions (S2). Beyond the practical applications, which would cost CR, I'd sink real world money into it to customize it. I want to wait for them to have space legs and atmospheric landings first though.

While I only skimmed it, your proposal includes buy+sell modules, and is a.... bigger separate thing to this..

The concept behind this is literally, to be as simple and within the boundries of FD's remit to make it more possible.

The buying and selling of "modules", an incorrect term and, possibly, given the nature of the reply, an intentional misconstruance, was to allow other players to contribute to construction thus creating inclusion, not to make an economy. The buying of basic components was so that one player could create the facility, and other players could help to finish it.

The only thing I suggested that COULD be included as a potential profit margin, and was completely optional to the basic proposal as a trade of player time for money, was a synthesis materials market.

I always love it when people admit they didn't read the material, then presume they can shoot it down with authority.

Last edited:
The buying and selling of "modules", an incorrect term and, possibly, given the nature of the reply, an intentional misconstruance, was to allow other players to contribute to construction thus creating inclusion, not to make an economy. The buying of basic components was so that one player could create the facility, and other players could help to finish it.

The only thing I suggested that COULD be included as a potential profit margin, and was completely optional to the basic proposal as a trade of player time for money, was a synthesis materials market.

I always love it when people admit they didn't read the material, then presume they can shoot it down with authority.

Except i haven't misconstrued anything.

You explicitly say there's the potential to earn money in game through sales.

You specifically want to use 'rent' to offset 'profit'.

Then you're trying to tell me your proposal doesn't involve an economy, to profit, and do exactly what Frontier Developments have said they won't do.

We won't be getting stores or banks, because FD don't want that.

I also skimmed the material not didn't read it, and upon going back and reading it thoroughly, and your replies, you've basically shot your own point in the foot...

I use the word facility rather than base or station because it represents both without being specific

Except i haven't misconstrued anything.

You explicitly say there's the potential to earn money in game through sales.

You specifically want to use 'rent' to offset 'profit'.

Yes, paying "rent" on the facility so that you don't have a million little facilities popping up and being abandoned after the player moves on or stops playing. The rent is a money sink and game maintenance feature that prevents what I just described.

Unless you are planning on making repairs, restock and refueling free on a player owned facility, there has to be "profit" to counterbalance the fact that you are competing with NPC facilities. If you could just throw a facility out anywhere you pleased and have free services, it would be a massive unbalancing of the game's meta economy.

Then you're trying to tell me your proposal doesn't involve an economy, to profit, and do exactly what Frontier Developments have said they won't do.

We won't be getting stores or banks, because FD don't want that.

I am certain that Frontier can balance the financial aspects, and, unless you are making a facility out at Beagle Point WHILE the Distant Worlds Expedition is there, or a similar sort of activity, it is highly doubtful that any given player is going to make enough money to offset a monthly rent payment on their facility.

As to the store, if they don't want it, they simple need to not include it.

Personally, I find the idea that players are completely at the mercy of NPCs in regard to the financial dynamic of the game an incredibly 1980's mindset. Adding grindfests for substances that literally cannot be touched by anyone else once it is in your inventory is even more immersion breaking.

That said, I do not believe that being able to plop a facility that must be included in the master databases down anywhere you please at no cost beyond an initial investment forever and ever, amen, is in the best interests of the game. That is why I came up with the best compromise I could devise between cost and ease of use. All of my solutions were based on either making the creation of the facility more inclusive of multiple players or limiting the difficulty of maintenance.

Last edited:
Stupid idea... Limit it to one outpost per player, add big cost to relocating etc, there are what, 400 billion star systems according to the game, I'm certain even the number of planets in the bubble could comfortably host every single player even if they got the entire planet to themselves lol. Space is big.

Stupid idea... Limit it to one outpost per player, add big cost to relocating etc, there are what, 400 billion star systems according to the game, I'm certain even the number of planets in the bubble could comfortably host every single player even if they got the entire planet to themselves lol. Space is big.
Hell, could even limit 3 per player and still be fine.

Not like there's a limit on the ships players can have or anything...
And for the most part, this would just be another couple of lines of code for where it is, orientation and items stored, and a potentially local render~

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

I use the word facility rather than base or station because it represents both without being specific
Yes, paying "rent" on the facility so that you don't have a million little facilities popping up and being abandoned after the player moves on or stops playing. The rent is a money sink and game maintenance feature that prevents what I just described.

Unless you are planning on making repairs, restock and refueling free on a player owned facility, there has to be "profit" to counterbalance the fact that you are competing with NPC facilities. If you could just throw a facility out anywhere you pleased and have free services, it would be a massive unbalancing of the game's meta economy.

I am certain that Frontier can balance the financial aspects, and, unless you are making a facility out at Beagle Point WHILE the Distant Worlds Expedition is there, or a similar sort of activity, it is highly doubtful that any given player is going to make enough money to offset a monthly rent payment on their facility.

As to the store, if they don't want it, they simple need to not include it.

Personally, I find the idea that players are completely at the mercy of NPCs in regard to the financial dynamic of the game an incredibly 1980's mindset. Adding grindfests for substances that literally cannot be touched by anyone else once it is in your inventory is even more immersion breaking.

That said, I do not believe that being able to plop a facility that must be included in the master databases down anywhere you please at no cost beyond an initial investment forever and ever, amen, is in the best interests of the game. That is why I came up with the best compromise I could devise between cost and ease of use. All of my solutions were based on either making the creation of the facility more inclusive of multiple players or limiting the difficulty of maintenance.
Yes, but at the same time...

I pared my idea to the simplest possible solution making it easy to implement.
Adding extra stuff makes it less likely to be viable / happen.

Making it the barest minimum gives it a better chance.

I'll agree to disagree with you.

I understand your reasoning, but I find that your proposal lacks enough value to be worth implementing. In effect, I feel you want a feel good gesture instead of a useful facility.

Don't take that as an insult or flaming, it is just my opinion.

I'll agree to disagree with you.

I understand your reasoning, but I find that your proposal lacks enough value to be worth implementing. In effect, I feel you want a feel good gesture instead of a useful facility.

Don't take that as an insult or flaming, it is just my opinion.
No I'll take it.

At the same time, once you've got the core thing, then you can start campaigning for add-ons, extras, etc.

Get that foot in the door, then it's expanding on a feature bit-by-bit, rather than this big task.

So yes, at the start, if implemented it would just be a 'storage pad' effectively.

I'd love to have bigger, better, more features, stores, even small player towns and such, being able to walk around in your own and others homes / facilities as well as space stations.

But get the framework first ay. ;)

Top Bottom