Detailed DK2/CV1 Setup Guide with Oculus Runtime 1.3+

Why are you downlaoding sdk? The only reason to downlkoad the SDK would be if you want to use the special oculusconfigtool to increase pixel density(effectively increasing the resolution). But it is optional as you must have strong PC.
All you need to install is the oculus runtime. The oculus drivers are updated automatically thru that runtime. You don't need to do anything.
At this point I would suggest to uninstall all oculus related stuff and re-isntall the proper runtime for your windows type. Do not run the config/setup as it is only for the CV1 and don't forget to re-boot.

I have DK2 and have no issues (except the awfull black smearing all over the place in ED)

Why are you downlaoding sdk? The only reason to downlkoad the SDK would be if you want to use the special oculusconfigtool to increase pixel density(effectively increasing the resolution). But it is optional as you must have strong PC.
All you need to install is the oculus runtime. The oculus drivers are updated automatically thru that runtime. You don't need to do anything.
At this point I would suggest to uninstall all oculus related stuff and re-isntall the proper runtime for your windows type. Do not run the config/setup as it is only for the CV1 and don't forget to re-boot.

I have DK2 and have no issues (except the awfull black smearing all over the place in ED)

ERRmmm sorry , i not sure what i,m doing... the oculus site asks me to down load the 'new' files.... its about 800 megs? I folow the instructions.
1. remove old
2. install new..the file i down loaded. links to the 'download' which automatically downloads and installs.
3. i follow the onscreen prompts. --the screen has fadeup /fade out shots of oculus head set and a micophone thingy.etc..
4. it continues until it gets to a screen which reads" " put on your goggles" ( something like that??... in blue text ?).. But then nothing?? I notice that in the bottom left hand corner a help link.
I follow the instruction to check to see if my p.c is up to spec.... NOW I told it's no good.. NOT up to spec??...-- which is totally stuipd cos it was working o.k ..NO ..it was GREAT just a few weeks ago.
so do i need to back track and reinstall something else.. can you help me? PLEASE..
please post me a link to what i,m suppose to download..-is steam involed here???-- i only get to the library once a fortnight so dont want to waste time getting something not needed.

ERRmmm sorry , i not sure what i,m doing... the oculus site asks me to down load the 'new' files.... its about 800 megs? I folow the instructions.
1. remove old
2. install new..the file i down loaded. links to the 'download' which automatically downloads and installs.
3. i follow the onscreen prompts. --the screen has fadeup /fade out shots of oculus head set and a micophone thingy.etc..
4. it continues until it gets to a screen which reads" " put on your goggles" ( something like that??... in blue text ?).. But then nothing?? I notice that in the bottom left hand corner a help link.
I follow the instruction to check to see if my p.c is up to spec.... NOW I told it's no good.. NOT up to spec??...-- which is totally stuipd cos it was working o.k ..NO ..it was GREAT just a few weeks ago.
so do i need to back track and reinstall something else.. can you help me? PLEASE..
please post me a link to what i,m suppose to download..-is steam involed here???-- i only get to the library once a fortnight so dont want to waste time getting something not needed.

The problem is that you went too far in the occulus setup. That setup is specific to the CV1. In your case you have the DK2, so DO NOT do any configuration.
So now at this point you must start completely over. Remove all connections to DK2 and camera, and uninstall everything oculus. Reboot your PC then reconnect DK2 and cam. Now re-install the oculus runtime per your windows system, but DO NOT go thru the part where it asks you to set up your rift (DK2 is not a rift). Simply keep pressing "skip" till you endup on the store page.
Now reboot one more time and all should be good!

The problem is that you went too far in the occulus setup. That setup is specific to the CV1. In your case you have the DK2, so DO NOT do any configuration.
So now at this point you must start completely over. Remove all connections to DK2 and camera, and uninstall everything oculus. Reboot your PC then reconnect DK2 and cam. Now re-install the oculus runtime per your windows system, but DO NOT go thru the part where it asks you to set up your rift (DK2 is not a rift). Simply keep pressing "skip" till you endup on the store page.
Now reboot one more time and all should be good!

O.K I will give it a go.. THANK YOU HEAPS for the reply.

I think that if you delete all your Oculus folders from you Local and Roaming AppData folders (NOT from Program Files), it will reset your set-up, so you don't have to download and reinstall.

Thanks, it didnt work .I did a complete re-do-install.. but the tracking camera is not working.... read somewhere else. that i should remove ALL and instal. 1.3 version and stick with that ??
confused and frustrated ?

Thanks, it didnt work .I did a complete re-do-install.. but the tracking camera is not working.... read somewhere else. that i should remove ALL and instal. 1.3 version and stick with that ??
confused and frustrated ?

Hmmm...sorry to hear that. I did it about 5 or 6 times last week while experimenting and screwing up. :\ Saved me from downloading the stupid 800 megs over and over.

Not sure you can get 1.3 as the downloader just installs the latest version, which is 1.5 by now. I had a "cracked" version of 1.3 install files and it worked until 1.4 came out. Once it checked online during the install, I got an error and it would abort. Only the real installer worked after that.

Right now I'm on 1.4 and I've blocked the Oculus executables through my firewall so it doesn't do an autoupdate that might break something that is currently working.

I wish you luck.

thanks for the support.. i just tried AGAIn.. there is NO SKIP button.. it just installs and there is NO back button , nor a skip button.. DAM annoying .. everything worked WONDERFUl a few weeks ago..now i cant do any thing .....

any more suggestions would be helpful.
thank you

thanks for the support.. i just tried AGAIn.. there is NO SKIP button.. it just installs and there is NO back button , nor a skip button.. DAM annoying .. everything worked WONDERFUl a few weeks ago..now i cant do any thing .....

any more suggestions would be helpful.
thank you

Last night I imaged my SSD with the working 1.4 on it (backup for the win) and I let it update to 1.5. My DK2 is still working. HOWEVER, that could be because I had already skipped all the set-up steps during the 1.3 install.

I'm going to try uninstalling OH and doing a fresh install of 1.5 and see if I can't find a way to skip the set-up for you.

Feelin' your pain. :(

Reading through, I don't mean to stir up trouble with anyone having issues with DK2 now, I wish you all the best in sorting out the bugs. But I am new to VR and have recently received my "Processed order" email and am eagerly awaiting my shipping email for my CV1. The last time I was in VR was at a mall over 16years ago as a child (low poly count) and i cant even begin to imagine what space is going to be like. I have always had a fuzzy for the stars, soon i will be among them. I'm just so excited i had to post somewhere.

-cheers

Last night I imaged my SSD with the working 1.4 on it (backup for the win) and I let it update to 1.5. My DK2 is still working. HOWEVER, that could be because I had already skipped all the set-up steps during the 1.3 install.

I'm going to try uninstalling OH and doing a fresh install of 1.5 and see if I can't find a way to skip the set-up for you.

Feelin' your pain. :(

Hi Thank you.. going through my back up drives I have 1.3 ...1.4... 1.5.. and 1.5.2?? but the last one's link to the oculus -auto down load..... and the above comment " not longer suppported'??? what .. we supported a product in development and we get shafted !! great... no more kick start for me then ... even feel kicked in the      by elite.. so lesson learned.hhhmmmmm

Hi Thank you.. going through my back up drives I have 1.3 ...1.4... 1.5.. and 1.5.2?? but the last one's link to the oculus -auto down load..... and the above comment " not longer suppported'??? what .. we supported a product in development and we get shafted !! great... no more kick start for me then ... even feel kicked in the by elite.. so lesson learned.hhhmmmmm

Well, honestly, I'm not sure if this is good news or bad news for you:

I restored my Windows 7 x64 from a back-up that I always do just after a fresh install (reason being it takes about 6 minutes to restore vs. the usual drag of a fresh install).

So basically nothing on this restore but Windows, chipset drivers, video and sound drivers. Installed Oculus 1.5.02 from the official download, got to the log-in screen, logged in and it immediately went to the setup screen where there is still, indeed, a "skip" option. I skipped credit card setup, hardware setup, got the usual warnings, ignored them, shut dowon Oculus Home and rebooted. Installed the Deepoon E2 headset (chinese clone of the DK2 minus the tracking camera. Sorry, I keep referring to it as a DK2 because that's the mode I have it in. It has DK1, DK2 and native "Deepoon E2" mode). Recognized with no problems.

Installed Steam and ED again, fired it up. No problems. Played the training missions for about an hour and quit. :\ Not sure what could be going on with your setup.

Have you run the Oculus setup previously where you actually did use the "skip" button? Just wondering if the button was there for you on previous attempts or if this is the first time you tried to skip those steps. I ask because the first time I tried this during 1.3, I did not see the skip button until someone uploaded a picture for me. It's actually kinda smallish text right next to the large CONTINUE button.

I'd certainly be willing to help you out any other way you can think of, just let me know.

Good luck.

Well, honestly, I'm not sure if this is good news or bad news for you:

I restored my Windows 7 x64 from a back-up that I always do just after a fresh install (reason being it takes about 6 minutes to restore vs. the usual drag of a fresh install).

So basically nothing on this restore but Windows, chipset drivers, video and sound drivers. Installed Oculus 1.5.02 from the official download, got to the log-in screen, logged in and it immediately went to the setup screen where there is still, indeed, a "skip" option. I skipped credit card setup, hardware setup, got the usual warnings, ignored them, shut dowon Oculus Home and rebooted. Installed the Deepoon E2 headset (chinese clone of the DK2 minus the tracking camera. Sorry, I keep referring to it as a DK2 because that's the mode I have it in. It has DK1, DK2 and native "Deepoon E2" mode). Recognized with no problems.

Installed Steam and ED again, fired it up. No problems. Played the training missions for about an hour and quit. :\ Not sure what could be going on with your setup.

Have you run the Oculus setup previously where you actually did use the "skip" button? Just wondering if the button was there for you on previous attempts or if this is the first time you tried to skip those steps. I ask because the first time I tried this during 1.3, I did not see the skip button until someone uploaded a picture for me. It's actually kinda smallish text right next to the large CONTINUE button.

I'd certainly be willing to help you out any other way you can think of, just let me know.

Good luck.

thanks for your help.. but no 'continue' and no 'skip' button..( just has install option,then installs until it gets to 'put on head set to continue..--in blue txt/bottom right..)
I removed all old sdk from system and from everywhere else on the p.c that has a ref to it.... I will try again.. with screen grabs and send them to you...if that's o.k ?
just to check it is not my unit with problems I installed 1.3 and then 1.5 both versions work great with other dk2 demo games that I had downloaded in the past.. easy to set-up head gear and camera tracking is perfect...
so what is the steam for..?? do I HAVE to have the Steam VR now too? if so I checked on the steam site and cant for the life of me find the dam thing ?
AGAIN thanks heap.. I spent 6 hours mucking around with the dam thing last night..
"help me O-B-one-ken-O-bee.....your my only hope.

thanks for your help.. but no 'continue' and no 'skip' button..( just has install option,then installs until it gets to 'put on head set to continue..--in blue txt/bottom right..)
I removed all old sdk from system and from everywhere else on the p.c that has a ref to it.... I will try again.. with screen grabs and send them to you...if that's o.k ?
just to check it is not my unit with problems I installed 1.3 and then 1.5 both versions work great with other dk2 demo games that I had downloaded in the past.. easy to set-up head gear and camera tracking is perfect...
so what is the steam for..?? do I HAVE to have the Steam VR now too? if so I checked on the steam site and cant for the life of me find the dam thing ?
AGAIN thanks heap.. I spent 6 hours mucking around with the dam thing last night..
"help me O-B-one-ken-O-bee.....your my only hope.

I reinstalled Steam because I lost everything on the Windows restore. I purchased ED on Steam and I think I have to reinstall Steam to be able to re-download and install ED...?? In any case, I did not install SteamVR, so it's not necessary.

I wouldn't mind taking a look at your screens. I'll take some of the setup as a I go through it and point out the "skip" option.

Edit: This video on YouTube shows a guy installing Oculus Home. The video was uploaded April 8th, so it's probably OH 1.4, but 1.5 looks identical for me. If you skip to the 4:40 mark on the video, it shows the first screen I get after I install OH, sign in and "skip" the credit card setup. You cans see "Skip" to the left of the "NEXT" button (my apologies, I said it was "CONTINUE").

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_idsf01qrE

Just trying to sort this out because I don't get a "Put on your headset" dialog.

Last edited:
I reinstalled Steam because I lost everything on the Windows restore. I purchased ED on Steam and I think I have to reinstall Steam to be able to re-download and install ED...?? In any case, I did not install SteamVR, so it's not necessary.

I wouldn't mind taking a look at your screens. I'll take some of the setup as a I go through it and point out the "skip" option.

Edit: This video on YouTube shows a guy installing Oculus Home. The video was uploaded April 8th, so it's probably OH 1.4, but 1.5 looks identical for me. If you skip to the 4:40 mark on the video, it shows the first screen I get after I install OH, sign in and "skip" the credit card setup. You cans see "Skip" to the left of the "NEXT" button (my apologies, I said it was "CONTINUE").

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_idsf01qrE

Just trying to sort this out because I don't get a "Put on your headset" dialog.

thak you.. errmmm ..hhmmm I don't even get to the 'pick profile' ( video link above.. at 4.17 ?)
i have a black screen withtxt "set your view in VR"---"stand up and put on your headset to confirm that your sensor is placed correctly."
no other button .. bottom right in blue txt is "continue in your headset" .. i select this and all i see .. in headset in white ??
.. game over no more progress.
yesterday using .. previous software-- everything works GREAT!..except elite ..which does not work :(

Last edited:
thak you.. errmmm ..hhmmm I don't even get to the 'pick profile' ( video link above.. at 4.17 ?)
i have a black screen withtxt "set your view in VR"---"stand up and put on your headset to confirm that your sensor is placed correctly."
no other button .. bottom right in blue txt is "continue in your headset" .. i select this and all i see .. in headset in white ??
yesterday using .. previous software-- everything works GREAT!..except elite ..which does not work :(

Can't figure out what you are doing wrong unfortunately. I am using DK2 with Elite horizons, oculus 1.5, and it works flawlessy(except for awful black smearing issue) and very easy to setup (took less than 10 minutes). Do you see oculus store in the DK2 and head tracking working?

Again I must re-instate - do NOT run any setup or config. Just unintsall completely, unplug all oculus related plugs and reboot PC. Then ,re-connect all usb plugs, then re-install oculus drivers, and then reboot once again. Do not do anything else except setup the graphics in Elite dangerous set to HMD(with headphones). You MUST do in that order.

Last edited:
Have any one of you a Link or can share a oculus rift Runtime exe 1.3.2 pls i have an error with the lastes on is say me my cpu is unsupported sse 4.2 needing lol i7 cpu 4770 i Need the runtime exe no the sdk pls help, i dont find anyting in google

EvilMadcat

Last edited:

You know what, I'm not sure if this will make a difference, but I totally forgot to mention that I install OH WITHOUT the HMD plugged in. Maybe that's why I get to that "hardware setup" dialog. Maybe it's because it's not detecting the HMD??

This is not going to be fun to hear, but on my laptop, when I first got the HMD I was having a hell of a time trying to get it to work. I did multiple installs, uninstalls, applied "hacks", blah blah blah. Tried for about 4 days. Nothing worked. The last suggestion I wanted to try was someone who said they were having all kinds of problems and decided to do a fresh install of Windows and it worked for him. As a last ditch effort, I tried that and, presto, eeeeeeeasy install of the HMD and ED working. It was a little juddery on my laptop, which is why I cam over to my desktop. Couldn't get it to work on desktop for about an hour or two and I said, "Not going through all that again."...did a fresh install, installed latest video drivers...presto, painless setup of the HMD and ED working.

I know its a pain, but might be worth a try. Can you backup your current install? In case THAT doesn't work, you can roll back.

Also, I'm sure you know that Oculus will auto update. If you get it working, you might want to blacklist the Oculus .exe's in your firewall. I did and everything still works, but of course, you get a warning that OH can't connect to the internet and the Home Store is missing the nice app tiles it would normally show you. But at least they won't push an update that will break your DK2 again. :\

Top Bottom