UAs, Barnacles & other mysteries Thread 7 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Nothing on getting the renewable harvesting techniques on the front page? Haha yeah Righto thought as much. So not only do you keep information to yourselves you ignore those who try to share? Dont have to put my name on your thread, I just want to make the community aware of the facts about barnacles, and what I discover about them.

Forget it, I'm not wasting my time in this thread anymore. Im much better off finding things out on my own and with the community. Go enjoy yourselves commanders. o7
Calm down rizal72 is on holiday for a few days, which means the front pages won't be updated, you could try and PM him but he ask that only real progress on the UP be sent to him by PM.

Last edited:
Nothing on getting the renewable harvesting techniques on the front page? Haha yeah Righto thought as much. So not only do you keep information to yourselves you ignore those who try to share? Dont have to put my name on your thread, I just want to make the community aware of the facts about barnacles, and what I discover about them.

Forget it, I'm not wasting my time in this thread anymore. Im much better off finding things out on my own and with the community. Go enjoy yourselves commanders. o7

Probably because there is no evidence that 'heavy' harvesting of barnacles results in long-term measurable 'damage' to them; nor any particular ill-effect to those who carry it out.

Unfortunately, while you have the right to be heard and taken seriously; others have the right to ignore you. If you can categorically prove your suggestions are mandatory for preserving either barnacle 'life' or indeed commander life, then people might choose to follow your lead.

Until that time, however, there's no particular reason for anyone to do so - it's no better than superstition.

Sorry to be blunt, but you chose to get snotty with the rest of us, so I thought I'd take the time to explain in the clearest terms in the hope that you'll stop taking it personally and realise the lack of interest is based on merit, or the lack thereof, alone.

Did not have time as I am on holidays, you know, but seen your tone I'm sorry I will not do it anymore.
I'm not at your service sir, and is already damn hard to keep things clean and tidy on the FP.
Barnacles can wait.
Enjoy.

yup, something for everyone, even fart jokes , bad puns, limericks and the search for cheese. That said I'm taking my Hairy asp out to Jaques for the CC, back in a month. 99% Ranger....expect to get to the next level on arrival (whatever that is)

Last edited:
Took some of the images (sound spectral analysis) that others have gotten and messed around with them a bit looking for meaning and ways to clean it up and draw out the information better. Nothing that lots others haven't done, but it was fun nonetheless. :)

Ended up with the following which is just the usual pic of it filtered a bit and rotated right:

Cis1W70.jpg

I'm sure it's just the case of seeing shapes when they're not really there (forget the word for that) but... in the top part, above the central "circle" area, doesn't it look kind of like there's an image of a structure or something there? It actually looks sort of like..... the top of a DALEK!!!!! OMG!!! (Okay, just kidding about that one, but it does... kinda...)

And down in the bottom section, it does also look like there's a top-left arc (almost lost in the noise of the left edge, which is normally the "bottom" of the images) that might go with the "bottom-right" set of 3 curves. Although, looking at it, that larger curve of the 3 on the bottom right seems to be more than just an arc, as it curves back "in" (to the left) on both top and bottom ends... is it maybe trying to form an image there also?

Wonder if these unknown probe things are just now "learning" to communicate, and maybe they'll get better at it (and the images will either get more detailed, or longer) as time goes on...?

vskhbB1.jpg

Taking a simplistic approach to try and indentify the most prominent part of the message, the circular map, my assumptions are as follows:

The UAs pointed us to Merope, the UPs point us to merope 5C so it is fair to assume that what ever we are looking for can be found on Merope 5c.

If we want to identify an area on a sphere using a 2 dimensional circular map, we first need to know what side of the planet or sattelite we are looking at.

Due to the fact that Merope 5C is tidally locked, the direction to Merope which it is locked to can be used as 0 vector as well, as the direction it moves in on its orbit.

looking at the message, the 2 square circle lines in the top right hand corner could be a representation of the direction to Merope 5. The two lines could either resemble its rings or the 2 inner satellites orbiting merope 5.

The line on the top left of the circle could be interpreted as the direction it moves to. Directional changes are often represented as the repetition of the outline of an object, pointing into the direction it moves. Also it would make total sense, that these two symbols are in a 90° angle from each other.

If this is true, the map shows a top down view of merope 5c.

The line in the bottom right is not exactly at 45°. This and the fact that if it would depict a radius it would not help since we have no reference for a measurement leads me to the assumption that this is another vector. Since it is inside the circle, it would be able to show points on the surface of the planet.

The Circle itself is separated with lines, that clearly divide the surface into portions of a sphere, just like longitude and latitude. It is a very close resemblance to the image we see in the surface maps of any celestial body in our maps.

The lines divide the surface of the sphere into 15° sections, unlike the lines in the gal map which separate it in 10° sections.

The lines in the bottom left are 90° to the tangent of the circle outline. So they most likely do not point onto something inside the circle, since they would meet in the center of the circle.

They do however point to the inner lines of longitude 45° and 60° taking the middle horizontal line as 0°.

It could be possible, that we might find something along the 140° line between longitude 45° and 50° measured from the geographical north pole.

If we are to find anything, I am pretty sure that even though we would know right away that we found what we were looking for once we see it, we would need to activate it or interact with it in a given way to advance to the next step of the puzzle.

It might as well be a crashed ship, that is "hidden" in some way. The EMP pulse of the UP might reveal it or make information available.

I know that there is most likely more information in the message than just this, but I am thinking that it might be worth a go to search a bit along this line....

About the KEY:
Why do you think I was in Witch's Head sector at the border of COL 70, when I discovered the UP message?
Because I was hoping to open the permit perhaps? ;)
Anyway it should be tried in a more precise way again, as I got derailed by the discovery. But I do not have an UP anymore. So.

Last edited:
A recent post in /r/Canonn points out a strange piece of text in the recent Newsletter located here: http://                          /t...Developments Ltd&dm_i=3F35,9V2O,37CI5J,XJRQ,1

Notice that they mention the theory that the image we have decoded is "a key" and the text for that key is GREEN.

Are they confirming the key theory? Are they dropping a separate hint about the image?

My interpretation is they are "greenlighting" the key theory, which means we are still missing a critical piece of the puzzle. We have the key, but not the lock (a map?).

Did not have time as I am on holidays, you know, but seen your tone I'm sorry I will not do it anymore.
I'm not at your service sir, and is already damn hard to keep things clean and tidy on the FP.
Barnacles can wait.
Enjoy.

that doesn't make sense either Rizal, Zoltan. considering his theory is not new and has been around for more than 2 weeks there had been time to do that in the past, but also there is even (marked as) tinfoil theories and the 'funny tune' that seems to lead nowhere without any fact baking them up in the front page.

let's keep all up the good work!

that doesn't make sense either Rizal, Zoltan. considering his theory is not new and has been around for more than 2 weeks there had been time to do that in the past, but also there is even (marked as) tinfoil theories and the 'funny tune' that seems to lead nowhere without any fact baking them up in the front page.

let's keep all up the good work!

Rizal said he didn't have time.

I'm saying I don't think it was worth re-publishing and making it 'official advice'. It was on Galnet after all - the 15 minutes of fame was had. Did I have any input into the decision? No.

It is a genuinely insane amount of work to do what Rizal has been doing this past few months, and if he finds something interesting I'm not going to criticise him and say he shouldn't do so. That's his post until such time as he deems it something he no longer wants to do. And it's certainly not particularly respectful for someone to launch into a full-on moan that their niche, pet theory isn't being bumped up to uber-important status without even acknowledging the amount of effort that is being expended to give them a second post to want to be mentioned within in the first place.

So there's a few things that are questionable on the second post - that doesn't mean everything that's questionable should be. I don't think anything that is universally agreed to be worthy isn't there, though - so I say leave Riz alone and let him carry on being awesome.

And agreed: let's keep cracking on. There's still work to do!

Last edited:
About the KEY:
Why do you think I was in Witch's Head sector at the border of COL 70, when I discovered the UP message?
Anyway it should be tried in a more precise way again, as I got derailed by the discovery. But I do not have an UP anymore. So.

That's why I'm currently looking directly in barnards loop, right at the horsheads nebula, inbetween all the col 70 and horshead nebula systems which require permits. I thought that if all those systems
should be future Thargoid systems, then there gotta be something right next to those systems right? Has to be.

About the KEY:

Are you using the corrosive cargo holds or whatever?

Rizal said he didn't have time.

I'm saying I don't think it was worth re-publishing and making it 'official advice'. It was on Galnet after all - the 15 minutes of fame was had.

It is a genuinely insane amount of work to do what Rizal has been doing this past few months, and if he finds something interesting I'm not going to criticise him and say he shouldn't do so. That's his post until such time as he deems it something he no longer wants to do.

So there's a few things that are questionable on the second post - that doesn't mean everything that's questionable should be. I don't think anything that is universally agreed to be worthy isn't there, though - so you've got to admit his hit rate is pretty darn good!

But agreed: let's keep cracking on.

I totally understand. Also I know Rizal was busy squeezing the UP as much as he could before giving it because he was leaving for holidays, plus he kept everything updated, I also understand that. An also understand Bluwolve and numberzero1032 have done some kind of research and it would be sad if that is lost. I don't think they are asking for glory and so I hope!

you are all awesome people ;)

I totally understand. Also I know Rizal was busy squeezing the UP as much as he could before giving it because he was leaving for holidays, plus he kept everything updated, I also understand that. An also understand Bluwolve and numberzero1032 have done some kind of research and it would be sad if that is lost. I don't think they are asking for glory and so I hope!

you are all awesome people ;)

Oh I'm not awesome - I pretend to be :)

Heads up: The convoy beacons above Merope 2a disappeared some time in the last 17 hours.
Can confirm that, also the Federal cruisers seem to have gone missing or left as well. Barnacles no longer seem guarded by them. 13.5047, -161.7200 still has a no tresspassing zone on it though, with sentries. The barnacle is still 'alive'

The fact this will require engineers and math to solve this shows you how out of touch with the general gaming population FD are. This is simple pandering to some very specific people. While joe on the block won't have a chance in solving even a part of it.

They specifically told us that this would require outside software. Many people in this forum have been looking into the spectrograms of audio files since the early UA days. Frontier saw this and probably specifically made this puzzle for us. It requires no specialized knowledge and only the ability to download free software (audacity), and change the view to spectrogram. The image jumps out right away and only requires a little fiddling. I'm not sure what your beef is.

The fact this will require engineers and math to solve this shows you how out of touch with the general gaming population FD are. This is simple pandering to some very specific people. While joe on the block won't have a chance in solving even a part of it.

I think this is exactly as it should be. It really adds to the immersion for me; if I were able to decipher SETI codes in arcane mathematical languages I would be frankly quite disappointed.

I understand less than 20% of what people are saying on this thread, but I'm still absolutely glued to it and loving every minute of it.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom