UAs, Barnacles & other mysteries Thread 7 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Yeah living up to your name there.

We don't have any PC&Mac/XB elitism here, thanks very much.

As a PC gamer, when XB got Horizons I cheered and looked forward to welcoming the XB players - and was very pleased when they started joining in numbers.

Lemme just make this clear; I'm not trying to be an "Elitist," no pun intended. It's just the way of game ports. Unless I'm unaware, nobody on the dev team ever stated this was equally solvable for Xbox and PC players - the bottom line is, you're going to be able to do some things on the PC version that you can't on the Xbox version. The same goes for console games ported to PC; they have less options/settings/what-have-you on average than games intended for the PC market only. My sarcasm was based on the person's dismissal of my claim purely on the basis of "I can't do that on my special version, so it can't be." It's not a valid reason for the dismissal of a claim given the differences between the two versions.

And, although I have a burning hatred for Macs of any type, I still think it's a travesty that Mac users aren't able to access Horizons when they were told they'd be able to.

That well eh?

I only just learned last night that you can get access to Palin by working for other Engineers. Seems like something that would be useful, on the off chance he one day has some kind of unique FSD improvements to give me :p

That's what I'm doing while following this thread, lol.

I set out on a mini-exploration trip a couple weeks back (only get about 4-6 hours a week to play most of the time) so I could boost my rep with Farseer for some FSD mods.

That's when this all kicked off again! Now I'm committed - I need the data to get to Pioneer and to make the trip worthwhile - but I did turn back last night. Heading back down to the sol plane so I can then get a route plotted to Farseer.

If I had an inkling of where UPs might be found in the wild, I'd head there. If I get any brainwaves then I'll follow them!

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

We already thought about this over at canonn. If thats it. Ok cool. ti does not tell us WHERE in the world we are looking for it though.

Canonn is here, too, by the way: Canonn discord is not 'the Canonn' it's just where a bunch of the commanders go to chat.

The thread has always been, and will always be, the primary Canonn 'place'.

Lost in translation?

I have noticed recently people are doing some very good enhancements of the UP image. The problem is that the less prominent info is being lost in these enhancements.

Most notably the "legs" of what looks like a UA on the far left get wiped out and lost as they are more faint (highlighted above). They are more clear in the original.
The rectangular shape, that looks like a 1t cargo pod, also suffers and loses detail. Look at the originals and you'll see what I mean.

The other big issue is that so far we pretty much have diddly squat. Have the curvy lines on the far right ever been analysed?

We need a "key", like hydrogen was to Voyager's Golden Record, or we cannot confirm anything in the image. If the image itself is the key, then I think we may be at this a while.

The only thing we have so far is that Merope 5C has relevance. Everything else is too ambiguous.

If anyone has contact with people who aren't gamers but are involved in navigation, astronomy etc, or is a general maths genius, please contact them and ask for help :)

Last edited:
Three sections:

1) This is our home
2) This is where it is/was
3) It was lost/destriyed

Or:

1) This is us leaving
2) This is where we left from or were going
3) We got lost

That seems a train of thought worth following. The curves on the right are the kicker though - are you saying that it shows a planetary collision? Maybe a crater or something?

That moon-a June-a Spring-a stuff is from a Cab Calloway song called "I like to singa". There is a Singa system - could that be relevant?

I have noticed recently people are doing some very good enhancements of the UP image. The problem is that the less prominent info is being lost in these enhancements.

I'll keep working at it. Those bits are much fainter than the noise I'm trying to get rid of, so they get hit by the noise rejection.

Last edited:
Lemme just make this clear; I'm not trying to be an "Elitist," no pun intended. It's just the way of game ports. Unless I'm unaware, nobody on the dev team ever stated this was equally solvable for Xbox and PC players - the bottom line is, you're going to be able to do some things on the PC version that you can't on the Xbox version. The same goes for console games ported to PC; they have less options/settings/what-have-you on average than games intended for the PC market only. My sarcasm was based on the person's dismissal of my claim purely on the basis of "I can't do that on my special version, so it can't be." It's not a valid reason for the dismissal of a claim given the differences between the two versions.

And, although I have a burning hatred for Macs of any type, I still think it's a travesty that Mac users aren't able to access Horizons when they were told they'd be able to.
Rubbish, the PC/Xbox versions are currently identical - same servers, same everything. Xbox isnt a "special snowflake" as you seem to hint at.

Shouldn't we read that message with sphere from the end? Maybe you have already mentioned that, but anyway, it makes more sense for me then. Sth. like "Hi, we have received your signal, we are here, and we forwarded your message there" and "this is our home, greetings humans"... :p

Commanders i dont wat to break the current toght flow or anithing but i might have acrazy enough aswer to be proven possible

what if the massage's center part is not waht u think it is

and here is why:

think abautit the middle part might be a planet but you've all been wieving it the wrong way all along this search

think abaut it this is a circle not a spheer but it can be a part of one

8HQUsU2.jpg

after days of tring different stuff here's something worth concidering for all of u all

this is a plane of the planet a horizontal slice of it and the clues can turn obvius after looking at it like this:

1: the 2 outgoing lines represent objects orbiting the planet on the same area the thing is we need to look for or the general search area
also this way we can even take into consideration that the planet does move but its tidal locked to its stellar body its orbiting

2:as many theorised the top right smybole represents the star wich tells us one thing the place where we need to look
opposite fo the star its orbiting

3:the rest of the symbols are a morse code or a binary message which coud be decoded to give some kind of hint tho what we are in the need to do or looking for.

food for your brainz good luck

I set out on a mini-exploration trip a couple weeks back (only get about 4-6 hours a week to play most of the time) so I could boost my rep with Farseer for some FSD mods.

That's when this all kicked off again! Now I'm committed - I need the data to get to Pioneer and to make the trip worthwhile - but I did turn back last night. Heading back down to the sol plane so I can then get a route plotted to Farseer.

If I had an inkling of where UPs might be found in the wild, I'd head there. If I get any brainwaves then I'll follow them!

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Canonn is here, too, by the way: Canonn discord is not 'the Canonn' it's just where a bunch of the commanders go to chat.

The thread has always been, and will always be, the primary Canonn 'place'.

I'm doing Farseer first too, just to get FSD and Thruster upgrades for my Corvette. Then I'll be working towards meeting Palin. If anything major comes up in the meantime though then I'll divert attention :)

Commanders i dont wat to break the current toght flow or anithing but i might have acrazy enough aswer to be proven possible

what if the massage's center part is not waht u think it is

and here is why:

think abautit the middle part might be a planet but you've all been wieving it the wrong way all along this search

think abaut it this is a circle not a spheer but it can be a part of one

http://i.imgur.com/8HQUsU2.jpg

after days of tring different stuff here's something worth concidering for all of u all

this is a plane of the planet a horizontal slice of it and the clues can turn obvius after looking at it like this:

1: the 2 outgoing lines represent objects orbiting the planet on the same area the thing is we need to look for or the general search area
also this way we can even take into consideration that the planet does move but its tidal locked to its stellar body its orbiting

2:as many theorised the top right smybole represents the star wich tells us one thing the place where we need to look
opposite fo the star its orbiting

3:the rest of the symbols are a morse code or a binary message which coud be decoded to give some kind of hint tho what we are in the need to do or looking for.

food for your brainz good luck

so basically you just feed the theory you try to disprove??

I started thinking about this last night and wanted write it down here, partly as a thought exercise for myself and perhaps it help someone look at the puzzle differently. Who knows.

Working on the assumption that the message in the newsletter was indeed a clue of some kind (it would be very nice if FDev stepped in to say if it wasn't a clue) There are a lot of things to consider. I find the best way is to break it down as much as possible, while retaining a certain 'generality' to help make sure I don't get drawn into detail that may or may not be there.

If it is a key, we have to ask a few questions. A key to what? What sort of key? How does it function? Why is a key needed?

A key to what?

This is where I can look at the types of things that may require a key. So far I've just got two main groups: things that are locked and things that can be decrypted.

A key to what?

Taking my two groups in turn here. So far in game I only know of one thing that can be locked: Areas of space via permits. Within the current game I know of no way to use the image or audio actively / interactively. So I think I this line of thought is much less likely. Also two things in game that are encrypted: the various data cores we find or get Tip Offs for, and these Unknown[probe/artefact] messages/signals. Since the presedence has already been set for using out of game tools, I believe this is much more likely so far.

What sort of key?

We start with sound and translate that into a picture. So far we know we have audio and visual elements. Is the key just one or the other or a combination of both? No current ideas on how to logically decide between the two due to lack of data.

How does it function?

Many more questions than answers here. Does the image just slot into place so when viewed correctly we learn something new? It's possibly, but that would depend on being in the right location / looking from the right angle etc. Does the image itself provide clues to translate itself? Meaning, is there more information contained with in the graphics or the audio? Can either the graphics or the audio be used in any way with the pulses of light that come off the UP/As? Again, possible but I don't know of any data to support the lights being significant.

So I ask what do we have / what have we encountered that may be encoded and possibly decoded with a key. We know we need keys for the encrypted data cores, it could mean that we need something to be present either on-board or nearby that will react when it encounters the "EMP". It could be a decryption key to be used with currently unknown data, but if this is true which elements of it are the key and which elements are just the container for the key.

Why is a key needed?

To keep things secret. If we are having to crack open the key and message I would hazard a guess that the message is not meant for us. Given that it would have been far easier to send something straight to us with a message, unless it's a test which I think highly unlikely.

After all that it boils down to:

It's a key to something we have already encountered / discovered / experienced.

It's a key to something we have yet to discover, but it is currently in game.

It's a key to something we have yet to discover that is not yet in game.

Since the only action we can take is to both keep looking for new things and reexamine all our data and previous assumptions, until FDev step in and say otherwise, I'm not sure what else I can add.

Space Compass theory, please feel free to ridicule or try

Let's assume that the circular symbol is the space compass.

Some more assumption:
|.. is the symbol for merope 5a (first satellite)
.|. is the symbol for merope 5b
..| is the symbol for merope 5c
((-|| (top right) is the symbol for Merope 5 (two rings with shared orbit - Merope 6)

The space compass is capable of being used to give both a start reference, a bearing and a distance.

To create your start reference you manoeuvre your ship so as to place known points in the correct areas of the space compass. Doing this will also give your rough direction of travel.

The distance you need to travel can be judged by setting an offset target and stopping when it has tracked sufficiently out across the space compass.

So, my theory, the outer spikes on the circle are reference points (could be 1c, 2c or even 3c) or even range through which these can be placed (as all the reference points move (orbit)). The inner line is distance (the amount a third reference must track before reaching destination). The outer quarter circle may reference the closest start point. Not sure.

If I was to guess then.

1. Start in orbit at 2C and manoeuvre so that 2c in the top left quadrant.
2. Now point the ship so that 1C Fall with the edge space compass line (hollow spot to filled spot), a more accurate guess could be achieved consider where 1C is in it current orbital cycle.
3. Lock onto 3C but do not face ship towards it, hopefully it falls in the fourth quadrant of the compass.
4. Set off and keep going until 3C reach edge of space compass.

Maybe you'll find something.

May try this later today if I can drag my      across to Merope.

o7 Cmdrs

Rubbish, the PC/Xbox versions are currently identical - same servers, same everything. Xbox isnt a "special snowflake" as you seem to hint at.

No, they're not, simply by virtue of being on vastly different platforms. Hence the dismissal of my repost with "I can't do that, so it can't be valid." Granted, that theory is a bit different, but it's impossible to dismiss it just because one version of the game won't let you do it. The servers may be the same, but the underlying code is very, very different. While PC versions of games are meant to run across various operating systems and setups, and therefore deal with (possibly) hundreds of thousands of different configurations, console versions only need to deal with one OS and one configuration, depending on the console. Once again, that might not affect the UP in any way, but the dismissal of that theory based on the game version is ridiculous.

Let's assume that the circular symbol is the space compass.

Some more assumption:
|.. is the symbol for merope 5a (first satellite)
.|. is the symbol for merope 5b
..| is the symbol for merope 5c
((-|| (top right) is the symbol for Merope 5 (two rings with shared orbit - Merope 6)

The space compass is capable of being used to give both a start reference, a bearing and a distance.

To create your start reference you manoeuvre your ship so as to place known points in the correct areas of the space compass. Doing this will also give your rough direction of travel.

The distance you need to travel can be judged by setting an offset target and stopping when it has tracked sufficiently out across the space compass.

So, my theory, the outer spikes on the circle are reference points (could be 1c, 2c or even 3c) or even range through which these can be placed (as all the reference points move (orbit)). The inner line is distance (the amount a third reference must track before reaching destination). The outer quarter circle may reference the closest start point. Not sure.

If I was to guess then.

1. Start in orbit at 2C and manoeuvre so that 2c in the top left quadrant.
2. Now point the ship so that 1C Fall with the edge space compass line (hollow spot to filled spot), a more accurate guess could be achieved consider where 1C is in it current orbital cycle.
3. Lock onto 3C but do not face ship towards it, hopefully it falls in the fourth quadrant of the compass.
4. Set off and keep going until 3C reach edge of space compass.

Maybe you'll find something.

May try this later today if I can drag my across to Merope.

o7 Cmdrs
It seems possible but are we sure this message shows a planet in merope?

After 1 night of thinking I´ll stay with my theory that we found them in the wrong sequence. We were meant to find the UAs, then the UPs, finding barnacles, and now the journey starts to decode the symbol on the barnacles.

After 1 night of thinking I´ll stay with my theory that we found them in the wrong sequence. We were meant to find the UAs, then the UPs, finding barnacles, and now the journey starts to decode the symbol on the barnacles.
even if we did get them in the wrong order(entirely possible) it wouldnt take too long to find out "Wait this doesnt match and it leads to this" Its likely the next stage is just related to barns and etc

I'm doing Farseer first too, just to get FSD and Thruster upgrades for my Corvette. Then I'll be working towards meeting Palin. If anything major comes up in the meantime though then I'll divert attention :)

I'm doing the Martuuk > Quent > Palin route.

I did not set out to do this, as I did not know this was a thing at first. It just happened that I was exploring IC 1805 (about 1.5lky off the Heart and Soul) when Engineers dropped. I was supposed to be heading out to the Formidine Rift but decided to abort and buckyballed it back to the bubble. I headed strait for Khun, and it was the first civilized system I hit. I was not really interested in Farseer as A. she was further away, and B. is a dirty Fed (although I am now at tier 2 with her as well). My brother, CMDR Dennehy, kindly met me there with some Soontil relics. So my first interaction with an Engineer was selling all my exploration data from that trip. That took me strait to tear 4 with her, and got me the invite to go see Quent at Sirius.

Fortunately I already had a Sirius pass from selling previous exploration data out at Sothis, back when Sirius Corp still held that system. I am now passively working on getting the 25 Modular Terminals for him. I've done 4 so far which I got offered in a mission a few days ago. I've been and dropped those off. When I do finally get to work with him, I think Palin opens up at tear 3. I've already done 6lky+ max travel distance so I hope to be able to get a fancy cargo hold right off the bat. At which point I hope to join in actively as opposed to passively.

However as I have my fingers in a number of other pies, not least keeping SMAC ticking over, I suspect we might already be in the middle of a Imperial/Federal war, with Thargoids sniping at everyone and Sirius and Core Dynamics chipping in for the lols by that point.

Last edited:
No, they're not, simply by virtue of being on vastly different platforms. Hence the dismissal of my repost with "I can't do that, so it can't be valid." Granted, that theory is a bit different, but it's impossible to dismiss it just because one version of the game won't let you do it. The servers may be the same, but the underlying code is very, very different. While PC versions of games are meant to run across various operating systems and setups, and therefore deal with (possibly) hundreds of thousands of different configurations, console versions only need to deal with one OS and one configuration, depending on the console. Once again, that might not affect the UP in any way, but the dismissal of that theory based on the game version is ridiculous.

You are doing deep for just a simple HUD colour change.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom