UAs, Barnacles & other mysteries Thread 7 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Lol no need to do that, we all have to start learning from somewhere, i see what you was getting at though if you wasn't aware of barnacles having the organic structure wording before.

:D Ta! Well, I'm going to ask a quasi stupid question. I've tried to keep track of this thread since it basically exploded into fame, checked the front page again, and am fairly sure it must have been done. I'm hesitant to ask really. I take someone has overlaid the circle part on the planetary map, using the end at the edge "pi" type of line as a indicator of erm.. how far from the equator - sorry really don't know the correct terminology. In fly round at that 'tude.. Probably not making much sense. Not so great at describing things over forums.

I am of course, pretty much ignoring everything else I admit that. But hey, if it's a dumb idea and no ones done it I'll do it anyway because you never know what you may find along the way anyway.

Weird that it didn't push your ship around. Was it too far away? On the other side of the cap ship?
Maybe the cutter has too much mass

Mass doesn't matter when triggering the UP, all ship sizes get pushed the same. In this experiment, I believe I was just a little bit too far. I usually run my experiments within 120-200m of the probe, this one I had to drop the UP at a safe distance while still being close enough to the Capital Ship. I also need to leave space to my Cutter to move freely around to scoop it again. Safety precautions, and I still received the audio.

Wait do you mean no result as in the up still outputs the same or it does nothing?

The video clearly shows no reaction from the Capital Ship. Same audio received. Nothing else to do here.

Last edited:
:D Ta! Well, I'm going to ask a quasi stupid question. I've tried to keep track of this thread since it basically exploded into fame, checked the front page again, and am fairly sure it must have been done. I'm hesitant to ask really. I take someone has overlaid the circle part on the planetary map, using the end at the edge "pi" type of line as a indicator of erm.. how far from the equator - sorry really don't know the correct terminology. In fly round at that 'tude.. Probably not making much sense. Not so great at describing things over forums.

I am of course, pretty much ignoring everything else I admit that. But hey, if it's a dumb idea and no ones done it I'll do it anyway because you never know what you may find along the way anyway.

The thing I enjoy about the Canonn is that no idea is stupid, I can't recall it being overlayed on the system map for say a planet or something but I do remember it being overlayed on the actual planet (Merope 5c) If you know how to do it, i'd say go for it, I don't know how to overlay it in that way, sure I could learn but I'm off to bed in a sec! The way I see it, any idea is completely valid until it is proven otherwise :)

Mass doesn't matter when triggering the UP, all ship sizes get pushed the same. In this experiment, I believe I was just a little bit too far. I usually run my experiments within 120-200m of the probe, this one I had to drop the UP at a safe distance while still being close enough to the Capital Ship. I also need to leave space to my Cutter to move freely around to scoop it again. Safety precautions, and I still received the audio.

The video clearly shows no reaction from the Capital Ship. Same audio received. Nothing else to do here.

No i meant in the silent running test. Nothing to do with the cap ship im asking does the UP still output while you are in silent running as your answer no result in the previos comment could have meant either it still does the same thing or it done nothing

Every time somebody uses the word measured and exact in a sentence a kitten dies. Don't be a kitten killer. It may well be 30 degrees but it's not possible to differentiate 29.994 and 30.001 given the methodology. For instance for the other angle, we have 135 (90+45, eyeballed), 140 (measured), 138.5 (also measured), 137.51 (golden angle), 138.32 (argument of periapsis). All of which are plausible within the precision of the image.

There's some interesting points there. If we're supposed to measure the angle then the angle can't be used to describe an object more than a few hundred LY away. At the limits of measurement precision that starts to result in an error more than system separation (10 to 20 LY). In fact it pretty much ensures terrestrial. If we're supposed to derive it (e.g. 137.51 or 138.32) that has sufficient precision to then be used in a calculation to explicitly describe a line or distance accurate to thousands of LY.

Just my little bit of pedantic-ism.

I agree completely, but your note on accuracy assumes it must be pointing to a specific system. What if it's not pointing to a system, but an entire region of stars? For example, permit-locked systems somewhere in the galaxy. It is supposed to be a key to something, right? Would these be big enough to work around the accuracy issue? I'm trying to find more information on them now.

WHAT THE     ! This dont happen when you do in a outcrop or any other material.... this is a new thing!
zSVnC1c.jpg

KDDVjab.jpg

I agree completely, but your note on accuracy assumes it must be pointing to a specific system. What if it's not pointing to a system, but an entire region of stars? For example, permit-locked systems somewhere in the galaxy. It is supposed to be a key to something, right? Would these be big enough to work around the accuracy issue? I'm trying to find more information on them now.

I was trying hard not to assume anything in terms of what it's pointing at, just describing the effect. So yes a few degree error in measurement results in potential volume at long distances. Not useful if you want a precise system but plenty useful if you just want a permit locked volume (e.g. Bovomit).

edit: just re-read my post, and yeah I wasn't trying hard enough. I did use language that implied it had to be A or B. I'll leave it as is but that wasn't really my intent.

Last edited:
My 2 cents if any are interested;

I have pretty much given up on merope and the barnacles around there, with the all the traffic getting around it is too hectic for me, and I feel as though if something could be found there is enough commanders searching to find it.

I am really wanting to follow up on the strange viper npc encounter I had, I cant rule it out as a dead end until I have researched more about it. I want to scan that ship and maybe follow its wake, it just seems to curious to me.

I think the UA is the the actual honker, the UP is only a receiver and showing us what the the UA broadcasts. If we do the steps in the image with a UA maybe something will happen... Who knows what? I just think the whole thing is being looked at too deeply.

If it is non human entities trying to communicate with us, they would try to make it as simple as possible, just like humans did with the voyager golden record. But what is it they are trying to tell us? Could be absolutely anything, could be nothing.

What I believe is below;

I have been thinking along the lines the -|'s are binary, but to me it looks more like a process of what to do - instructions for something. The binary are labeling the steps in order, and each quadrant of the image has a different instruction we need to work out. Maybe something like this;

--| (1) Take UA to planet
-|- (2) Leave planet (or orbital cruise in sweet spot)?
-|| (3) Honk UA at planet (or star)?
|-- (4) Barnacle grows ( :D ), something is revealed, a red door opens or the galaxy implodes?

Maybe not right but I still feel that if the -|'s are binary then they are trying to indicate an order of doing something, though what the something is and what the steps are exactly I still am unsure.

Last edited:
Just for giggles, I tried using the hex values for the green colour of the "a key" text (this week's newsletter) and entering them into the spectrogram settings of Audacity.
They actually work quite well!

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/189512082482266112/206952607460098049/UPsingleChannel2.png

Yer kill'n me here Zenith :). But yeah. Fiddling with the gains can help smooth out the false color brightness across the entire frequency range.

On a random side note, trolling away from Merope toward the bubble trying to find a UP sphere (the right half of RedWizzard's Balls), nada so far but as I crossed the old UA sphere I snagged two UAs so that's still a thing (and was known to be).

Last edited:
No i meant in the silent running test. Nothing to do with the cap ship im asking does the UP still output while you are in silent running as your answer no result in the previos comment could have meant either it still does the same thing or it done nothing

The audio still comes through with silent running on. That's why I said no result (nothing new, nothing changed).
Sorry for the confusion CMDR.

About that Frey which were at topic shortly several pages earlier.

These screenshots are taken while hovering top of huge spike which is located at huge crater. Merope 5C.

If this direction is represented as (( -|| (at message top right)

XFQopt0.jpg

Then the opposite direction (left bottom, two "legs" and |--) is Frey

z02tjCv.jpg

Some reads/leads.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stokes_parameters

"The effect of an optical system on the polarization of light can be determined by constructing the Stokes vector for the input light and applying Mueller Calculus to obtain the Stokes vector of the light leaving the system."

"
...are the spherical coordinates of the three-dimensional vector of cartesian coordinates ... is the total intensity of the beam, and...is the degree of polarization, constrained by 0 ≤ p ≤ 1. The factor of two before...represents the fact that any polarization ellipse is indistinguishable from one rotated by 180°, while the factor of two before...indicates that an ellipse is indistinguishable from one with the semi-axis lengths swapped accompanied by a 90° rotation. The phase information of the polarized light is not recorded in the stokes parameters. The four Stokes parameters are sometimes denoted I, Q, U and V, respectively.
If given the Stokes parameters one can solve for the spherical coordinates with the following equations:"

Found this image in reference to the Dogon peoples and their advanced astronomy. (apparently they are highly tied to the Pleiades and Sirius)

sirius-a-and-b-orbits.jpg

https://subharanjangupta.wordpress.com/2012/05/28/dogon-the-original-space-truckers/

Last edited:

Base 8 number system?

And the "music" that people found earlier - that was also a base 8 scale (there are eight notes on it).

What happened to the music? Was it debunked somehow? Or did we just totally forget about it once the "map" was found? Maybe the music forms part of the key?

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom