UAs, Barnacles and other mysteries Thread 8 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Guys why are you sooo sure this story is not linked to Formidine Rift / Heart & Soul etc.?

I won't speak for everyone here, but for me it's not that I'm not sure it is linked, but it's that there is no evidence to link the two together.

Yes, there could be something interesting to be found by following the Formidine Rift mystery... but nobody has found anything connecting the two yet.

If you actually find evidence of this, by all means, post away. But until them, it's incredibly foolhardy and would lead to a lot of wasted effort to blindly assume the two are connected.

Certainly both warrant looking into, but lets save calling them connected until something actually does that.

Cue people saying "But <Person A> said X and Y" at which point I cast disparaging looks.

Last edited:
2. Sort of - different would be more accurate.

Michael

So...a hypothesis. At the moment the only UP's we are able to find are those from the T4 Convoy. The convoy states that it's done its testing at Alpha site, and is now progressing to Beta site.
Could this mean that the data/image we are getting from the UP at the moment, are the results of its probing of Alpha site, and therefore will always be the same?
Its certainly possible that a free floating UP wouldn't have been subject to its 'probe cycle' yet, and so would be more of a blank canvas.

I predict 20 pages + for today :), on other news, I very unlucky with lvl 4 convoy dispersal USS.

As far as I know, UP convoys have only been found by Elite pilots or wings of several pilots.

I think spawn rates are affected by the USS difficulty scaling. In other words, searching alone without at least one Elite rank may be quite futile.

If you are is still around Michael, feel free to comment.:)

Michael Brookes

Game Director
As far as I know, UP convoys have only been found by Elite pilots or wings of several pilots.

I think spawn rates are affected by the USS difficulty scaling. In other words, searching alone without at least one Elite rank may be quite futile.

The convoys are pretty rare, they're not the best way to find the Unknown Probes though.

Michael

that needs confirming other wise im wasting my time.

I won't speak for everyone here, but for me it's not that I'm not sure it is linked, but it's that there is no evidence to link the two together.

Yes, there could be something interesting to be found by following the Formidine Rift mystery... but nobody has found anything connecting the two yet.

If you actually find evidence of this, by all means, post away. But until them, it's incredibly foolhardy and would lead to a lot of wasted effort to blindly assume the two are connected.

Certainly both warrant looking into, but lets save calling them connected until something actually does that.

Cue people saying "But <Person A> said X and Y" at which point I cast disparaging looks.

Absolutely right.

For me they're not linked because the rift story hasn't received any attention from FD themselves, it's been driven solely by Drew. It's clear the UA/UP/Barnacle story is MB and DBOBE's baby - it's the one that's made the media, and the one that MB consistently checks the community's progress on.

If it was important to the UA mystery, I don't think they'd let another person enven *near* it, let alone permission to drive it forward independently - which they clearly just have.

But obviously I'm just speculating too. I am reasonably confodent though. But I admit, I don't want them to be linked anyway, at least not in a pivotal sense. But that's just me.

Is there any conditions to find the free floaters? like a certain star type ect..? that would be helpful.

Last edited:
that needs confirming other wise im wasting my time.

If you felt like that at any point I think it is better to make a pause and rethink your priorities. By doing this you might come up or find something related even if it is not a UP convoy, but if your only goal is to get an UP, then probably you might need to take it easy.

got a couple questions/ideas concerning the UP's and the convoys that carry them.

1.Do we know where they are going? do they have a destination or do they just fly around on a loop?
2. if they have a destination can we start back tracing them to find where their origin is? the convoys chatter about testing at an alpha site, can we find it somehow? maybe finding systems directly behind the convoys in the longest known jump range of the shortest range ship in the convoy.
3. one theory says that the UPs are a system scanner that is looking for something. if it turns out that federal testing has "locked" the UP into one scan can we find systems and bodies that match possible interpretations of the symbols? that might help us find a place that reliably spawns UP's to play with.

Is there any conditions to find the free floaters? like a certain star type ect..? that would be helpful

We probably have all this information already, just we don't know how to correlate it to come up with this 'clue'. Asking for it however, I don't like this idea.

got a couple questions/ideas concerning the UP's and the convoys that carry them.

1.Do we know where they are going? do they have a destination or do they just fly around on a loop?
2. if they have a destination can we start back tracing them to find where their origin is? the convoys chatter about testing at an alpha site, can we find it somehow? maybe finding systems directly behind the convoys in the longest known jump range of the shortest range ship in the convoy.
3. one theory says that the UPs are a system scanner that is looking for something. if it turns out that federal testing has "locked" the UP into one scan can we find systems and bodies that match possible interpretations of the symbols? that might help us find a place that reliably spawns UP's to play with.

1.- random.
2.- no
3.- this is what people is actually doing.

Hi Michael.
Just wanted to know how obvious is the place where the free floaters can be found, so we can start some preemptive face-palming.

I think we just need to try and apply some logic re UA locations. I know. a lot of us already are - just not the right logic ;)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom