A tale of bitter disappointment, utter excitement and a rash purchase

This tale begins at John Lewis on Oxford St, an unlikely start for a story that leads to the discovery of a crashed Anaconda and an Unknown Artefact!

So, as of Monday this week John Lewis are stocking the Oculus Rift. I rang them on Tuesday to confirm a) that they had them in stock ... "yes plenty", b) that I could get a demo without booking an appointment ... "yes, just turn up" and c) that that this would be OK to do after work ... "yes, we're open 'til late on Thursday". I was prepared ... I had the money, I'd done the research, I wanted one. All John Lewis had to do was to not put me off the decision and today, after over a year waiting, I would finally own an Oculus Rift! So imagine my disappointment (I honestly nearly cried) when I turned up to be informed that the guy who did the demos had gone home at 5pm, that I should have booked an appointment and that they'd sold out on Tuesday.

ARRGGGHHHHH!

This morning, with a heavy heart and my enthusiasm crushed, I went back to grinding Federal Rep only to receive a tip-off mission ..

TlLxwBf.png

.. something I'd heard of but never actually seen. I flew 200ly to the named system and descended down onto the dark side of the moon with no idea what I'd find. After maybe 20mins of tracking down the co-ordinates and scouring the pitch black with my lights I finally saw a man-made shape, wrecked on the surface below. I found a landing spot and headed out into the dark in my SRV. It was then that I started hearing the sounds, strange eerie creaks and groans that were definitely not of man-made origin. As the silhouette of the crashed Anaconda loomed on the horizon ..

uSgfSW5.png

.. the sounds grew louder and then the unmistakeable burst of noise that could only mean one thing ... an Unknown Artefact. Of course I'd seen plenty of videos, followed the work of Canonn with interest and thought I'd be prepared. But to discover this all by myself, alone in the dark ... Wow! It was just so atmospheric and creepy. One of my absolute highlights in nearly 2 years of playing Elite.

qXGChSS.png

Fast forward 3hrs and I've just done this ..

e26zBB7.png

Sorry John Lewis, but in the words of Lord Scrumptious "too late, had your chance, muffed it!"

[video=youtube;CSmK9ZU1py8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSmK9ZU1py8[/video]

Last edited:
Shameless bump.

It's this mix of real life, role play, and the in-game payoff that really gets me.

There was some feller saying a bitter goodbye to ED because The Grind had burnt him out.

ED Bucket list.

Customer service at its best!

I work in customer service, and I'm not quite sure how these people get away with it. Lol

I need VR too.... But, i need an overhaul on my PC first. It's far too old.
But to overhaul my PC, i need a better job.

I didn't get the better job I applied for.

Woe is me. :(

I'm currently accepting donations.

:p

However, if I did get a new job, I'm sure the misses would spend all my new money on toiletries, or something equally uninteresting. :D

Going for a demo on Thursday, if it doesn't argue with my glasses or make me puke I expect to come out with a much lighter wallet.
The PC and GPU I bought in haste to get into first beta 2 years ago are woefully inadequate.

Got mine on the Tuesday. However

Too avoid any further disappointment or wait, be aware the headset needs to plug into your graphic cards HDMI skt. If you use a TV like I do then you will most likely be using the HDMI skt for the TV.

I purchased a DVI to HDMI adapter from amazon. CableCreation Gold Plated DP1.2 DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter, Support 4K X 2K & 3D Audio/Video Converter, Black Color

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B013G4EXMM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also read on the Rift thread that the display on the rift is much clearer when using the DVI skt.

Set mine up, had a quick get too know session for what seemed about 20 minuets, took headset off it was 4 hours.

Very easy to set up, select HMD (Headphones) in ED settings, then in Win10 change your playback device to the Rift.

When you get access to the Oculus store I recommend ''Showdown'' as one of the first things you download and watch.

You can now download the apps, games etc. to any drive or location now not just your OS installation drive as it was before.

Thanks for the story very entertaining.

Enjoy.

Going for a demo on Thursday, if it doesn't argue with my glasses or make me puke I expect to come out with a much lighter wallet.
The PC and GPU I bought in haste to get into first beta 2 years ago are woefully inadequate.

Where? John Lewis? If so, ask to get put through to the actual store and book a demo. Also ask for a stock check and ask if you can reserve one.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

So how much did you get paid when you turned in the data?

I'm asking because I received the same tip off but i have yet to act on it.

Haven't turned it in yet. I was late for work and the UA was eating my ship so I logged out in a panic and ran for the train. I'll probably find out tomorrow.

Got mine on the Tuesday. However

Too avoid any further disappointment or wait, be aware the headset needs to plug into your graphic cards HDMI skt. If you use a TV like I do then you will most likely be using the HDMI skt for the TV.

I purchased a DVI to HDMI adapter from amazon. CableCreation Gold Plated DP1.2 DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter, Support 4K X 2K & 3D Audio/Video Converter, Black Color

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B013G4EXMM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also read on the Rift thread that the display on the rift is much clearer when using the DVI skt.

Yup, already aware of this and bundled an adapter in with my Oculus purchase. Thanks for pointing it out tho! Out of rep at the moment but vrep++.

Last edited:
I got mine direct from Oculus, it took a whole 2 days to arrive and all I can say is you're going to love it.
I still find myself trying to touch the buttons on the console etc...

Very good story. Have some well deserved rep. I can't get a VR headset until I ungrade the gpu on my laptop so it'll be a while, but if I could I'd have one yesterday.

Meh, it's Facebook gets those profits.

I'm a total SJW patsy.
I even buy my milk at twice the price, because of what the colesworths duopoly is doing to the dairy farmers of Australia.

I see stuff like that - my money stays in my pocket.

Source article the others are reposting: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...re-secretly-funding-trump-s-meme-machine.html

Last edited:
Top Bottom