Abandoned Dust Buster: the space dust removal mod

Thank you for letting me know - no luck for me though, I have an nVidia 670, Win 10 and the 64 bit non-steam version.
My directory structure looks as follows: C:\Program Files (x86)\Frontier\EDLaunch

Extracted all the files under EDLaunch except the 2 shader files which are inside C:\Program Files (x86)\Frontier\EDLaunch\ShaderFixes

No joy though, maybe I am missing something simple?

I have my install under Steam but I think you might not have it in the correct folder. My folder ShaderFixes folder is located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Elite Dangerous\Products\elite-dangerous-64\ShaderFixes.

Yours might need to go: C:\Program Files (x86)\Frontier\EDLaunch\Products\elite-dangerous-64\ShaderFixes.

In any event, everything needs to go into the folder where EliteDangerous64.exe is sitting in your directory, NOT where EDLaunch.exe is sitting.

The folder should look like:
DustBuster%20install%20folder.PNG

Last edited:
I have my install under Steam but I think you might not have it in the correct folder. My folder ShaderFixes folder is located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Elite Dangerous\Products\elite-dangerous-64\ShaderFixes.

Yours might need to go: C:\Program Files (x86)\Frontier\EDLaunch\Products\elite-dangerous-64\ShaderFixes.

In any event, everything needs to go into the folder where EliteDangerous64.exe is sitting in your directory, NOT where EDLaunch.exe is sitting.

The folder should look like:

Dude thank you! the "not where EDLaunch.exe is sitting" bit solved it.

For those of you who do not have the Steam version, EliteDangerous64.exe sits here: C:\Users\YOUR NAME\AppData\Local\Frontier_Developments\Products\elite-dangerous-64

Works perfectly!

Hi Ledpup,

Thanks for your work on the Dust Buster Mod. Also really something that irritates me. Wish the devs would do something official. Anyway I have tried installing and the problem is that after I run EH (latest version) no bin files get created. I have checked that I have the correct folder. Is there anything else I can try?

This is what my folder looks like: http://picpaste.com/Capture-gJ3zZQFb.jpg

Im setup like Led Pup suggested above but still isn't working. Have the correct directory. Checked and double checked. Running Nvidia card of course. Any advice. Tried everything I can think of.

Here is what my directory looks like.

http://picpaste.com/Capture-gJ3zZQFb.jpg

What I have tried so far:

1. Checked correct directory
2. Tried running ED launcher in admin mode
3. Used Driver Sweeper to re-install Nvidia Drivers (latest)

Note: Running Win 10 Pro with Nvidia GTX 980Ti.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Found the problem. I use a separate drive for backing up steam games. Somehow my Steam pointed to the back up drive instead of the active one. Wierd - in anycase the mod works perfectly and thank you because now I can play without suffering an epileptic seizure and migraines. I wish the developers would understand that those kind of flashing lights are actually not good and can precipitate things like that in susceptible people. A simple on/off switch or slider would be easy to implement. I guess the velocity vector is too much.

Found the problem. I use a separate drive for backing up steam games. Somehow my Steam pointed to the back up drive instead of the active one. Wierd - in anycase the mod works perfectly and thank you because now I can play without suffering an epileptic seizure and migraines. I wish the developers would understand that those kind of flashing lights are actually not good and can precipitate things like that in susceptible people. A simple on/off switch or slider would be easy to implement. I guess the velocity vector is too much.

Oh, glad you got it sorted out! I was going to say that I have the same card, OS and install location as you and no issues - good to hear it was just a folder mismatch. I never thought of the medical complications, I just love my space empty. I even fly without the vertical yellow lines in SC now that someone asked me to add that as an option as well. Can barely remember the bad old days of the space gunk flying at me wherever I went.

Yeah, I'm quite amazed that they don't have a quick option to remove the dust like they do the orbit lines, but at least they've okayed the mod. Better than nothing!

Last edited:
Yes much more realistic and simply prettier.... anyway really enjoying it now. BTW do you know of a way to load SweetFX together with this or is it not possible?

Yes much more realistic and simply prettier.... anyway really enjoying it now. BTW do you know of a way to load SweetFX together with this or is it not possible?

It should be possible to use ReShade if you name the ReShade .dll file to dxgi.dll and keep the mod's name as D3d11.dll. Worked perfectly with Alien Isolation anyway.

Makes sense, this is really no different then using ReShade or GEMfx. :)

Actually there's a quite significant difference. ReShade adds an overlay change to the image (basically Photoshopping the image).
This mod however injects a debug tool to search and tweak (or hack) the game's internal shaders. :)

Yes, it is working just fine in 2.3, install as always. I cannot imagine flying Elite without it, I hope it will remain functional in all future versions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom