The VR Dashboard "V" is now in Open Beta!

New Update for The VR Dashboard "V" is out!

Big News, the latest and greatest build of V yet has just been released! With Full Touch Support, an all new UI design, more configurable web app shortcuts, more VR game compatibility, more video watching (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon!), more performance, more browser resolution! More More MORE! (And Less Tailspin of death when flying and you bring up V ;) ) Literally this build has been a conglomeration of the past few months of hard work to bring you an amazing V experience in many of the Oculus VR powered games and apps. We hope that you like it as much as we have in making it, and please report back any and all issues and suggestions as we are nowhere near done yet. :) Your version of V should update to the latest version (0.5.0.3 or newer) automatically upon starting up, but if it hasn't after relaunching, or you do not have V yet, you can grab the latest version right at HelloV.io

Be sure to come join us on Discord for live support, questions, comments, and to just discuss all things V and VR, and also be sure to check out our new Forum as well for How-To's, Bug Reports, and Feature Request.

Also one thing for the new UI, pressing Y on the Gamepad or Touch Controller re-centers the V UI to your head position. So if it is a little too low/close when it first injects ingame, just lean forward a bit and hit Y to move it a bit more forward so you don't have to look so far down to activate V. Also you can look left/right to move it out of the way if you don't like it being directly in front of you. I personally always have to recenter Oculus position and V's position upon starting Elite but once everything is dialed in, Elite continues to be a joy to play in VR!

kPIzf5H.gif
12zaGIg.gif

Previous Release said:
Hey guys, We just launched a public beta for our new in-game dashboard called V! (Yes, just the letter)

With V you can launch apps like Twitch, YouTube, Discord, Inara.cz, Plex.tv, and Spotify from directly inside your VR game.

3o7TKsYnrfXF8gXU9a.gif

You can download V from our website: hellov.io -- Once installed, open up a game via Oculus Home (sorry Vive support coming soon) and you should see the V logo when the game launches.
After that, FIRMLY tap your headset twice and look up. (or you can use the Left Shift key)

Once activated, you can browse the web as well as move (Left/Right Trigger + Left Stick), scale (Left/Right Trigger + Right Stick), and pin (Left/Right Bumper) any window for VR multitasking!

A few disclaimers--

- V is still very much in beta and we are doing some fairly complicated things to pull this off...so if something goes wrong please reach out here or on our beta discord channel and we will do our best to assist and get it figured out.

- Elite Dangerous works great launched from Oculus Home, The Elite Launcher, or Steam (Though not using SteamVR), however you may need to inject manually once the game has started from the V Dashboard. Also Input blocking is still being worked on, so don't be flying near a station or jumping to a Star while actively Using V. (Once a window is pinned, everything is fine)

- If you use Steam, or for some reason V doesn't inject automatically into Elite.
Launch Elite
Launch V
Right Click on the V taskbar icon and click "show GUI"
Select "EliteDangerous64" from the dropdown and press "inject"
V should appear in Elite after a few seconds and work as normal.

- Asynchronous Spacewarp (ASW) launched right before us and… well.. It broke our tapping gesture. If ASW kicks in, use the shift key. (Or you can disabled it: Ctrl + Number Pad 1)

- Streaming sites like Netflix/Hulu are in the works. Plex.tv works though you have to have the Flash Player for Opera and Chromium installed

- Sadly, Minecraft VR is also still a work in progress.

- Windows 7 and 8.x are currently not Supported. We are working to get Windows 8 Support shortly and 7 a little later.

Hope you all Enjoy!

Last edited:
Does that little video window stay where I put it, or does it head track?

For example, if I put it down where the pre-horizons empty screen was, will it stay there and only be visible when I look down, or will it follow me around?

Nada, EliteDangerous64 doesn't show up in menu.

Is this when Elite is running (you are in game and can see the main menu at least in VR?) How are you launching the game? (Steam, Oculus, Elite Launcher?)

What does it use for rendering? wondering if there might be any performance loss?

There is a small performance loss as the browser is rendered at 24fps and has to be injected into the Rift frames, however after a recent optimization performance is vastly better than it was about a month ago. Combined with the new ASW that Oculus launched, the performance drops are nearly unnoticeable even on lower end hardware now. (Before ASW and the optimization, even my 980Ti was having a hard time maintaining 90FPS)

Does that little video window stay where I put it, or does it head track?

For example, if I put it down where the pre-horizons empty screen was, will it stay there and only be visible when I look down, or will it follow me around?

Yes you can move the window around with the gamepad and it stays where you put it. Once you pin it it stays put in your VR view and you can continue to play Elite as normal as if it was just another window in the game itself.

I have to say, I used this all night tonight while exploring...and it's absolutely brilliant.

Minor gripes:

Weird things happen when using the Xbox controller with my HOTAS Warthog and rudder pedals, namely as soon as you activate the GUI for your application, the ship locks left full rudder and the primary trigger (possibly the secondary as well?) continuously fire. I am glad that when I fired it up I was not messing around with a neutron star!

The video window overrides ED GUI elements; if there was a way to make the ED GUI overlap the V video window, it would be awesome. There was a small amount of discomfort caused by your window appearing (in 3d) behind the ED elements, only to have it supersede them.

That said, I cannot imagine exploration without this again. Books on tape were nice, radio sidewinder is great, but being able to fire up documentaries on YouTube within VR while in deep space scanning is fabulous.

i didnt find the elitedangerous64 in the menu either, but it does show up somewhat in elite, but i down know how to interact with it, and while it is there i cant use my joystick it seems.

9xrYBbTg.jpg

Last edited:
I am trading again and use websites so this is great :)
I'm on Vive so I have to be patient though, will that be long?

Can we move V with the mouse or Hotas?
Can we use the windows keyboard (in the future) ?

Great work, success

Dree

Got it working but the way discord formats it site it's pretty much useless. A suggestion make the window not just scale in size but ratio as well

Right now, due to design limitations and the fact that every Oculus Rift comes with a Xbox Controller, the main way to interact with V will be with the Xbox gamepad. This will be customizable down the line as Vive motion controllers, Oculus Touch, and the regular HOTAS user support is added, but for now, the Xbox Remote is a guarantee (unless you are on the DK2 of course, which will require a gamepad purchased separately.) and that is reliably consistent between Rift users.

Another thing that is still being worked on, but might explain some of the disconnection of other apps/joystick/keyboard stuff that some of you may be noticing (and I left out of my initial post unfortunately. Doh!) is there is supposed to be a Input Block when V is up so that you are not passing Keyboard/Gamepad input to Elite while interacting with V (And vise versa if you are playing Elite, you don't want V doing things when you are flying around and it is Pinned playing a Movie through Plex) however Elite does input a bit different then some other Oculus games and we are still working at fully blocking input both ways when V is up or not.

Right now what I experience using V, is Gamepad and Keyboard input passes to Elite, while you are controlling and typing into V (mainly Menu's of Elite while moving around in V, so watch that you don't accidentally go into options and clear your save!) Also do not be Jumping to a Star while using V, or flying inside a station. For whatever reason, when you touch your joystick with V up, you will usually get stuck in a directional input (so for me, usually a hard left roll) and it will stick until you Pin/Exit V (not quit V itself, just return to the game with a Pinned window, or pressing B on the gamepad until you are back to the game primary). This is a nuisance but isn't the end of the world as long as you know what to expect and again, something we are working hard to fix. Once this is all fixed I believe then custom control mappings will come shortly after. :)

Also if you press Shift and run into the VR view changing to whatever random angle that it happens to do, you might want to have the Oculus Remote handy and nearby to recenter everything. Shift should only adjust V to come up in front of whatever direction you are looking, but sometimes the quick loading action (of what I am not sure as I am not a dev) resets the Oculus forward view as well and while jarring, usually only happens once so once you recenter the view using the Oculus Remote, things should stay put the rest of that playthrough.

Also of note, while the V keyboard needs work for sure (number keys missing is still a questionable issue on how that made it through) however using Physical keys most of the time works fine but you have to make sure that your VR game (Elite's Window) has Focus in Windows so the keys send correctly. If you notice you are in a text box and not typing with the physical keys, make sure the Window has focus, and things should work normally. :)

V is very much still in a early Beta, but once you get it dialed in, it does help a lot to bridge that gap from VR into the rest of the world. We know there are a lot of fixes and changes that are wanted/needed (I as a Elite player understand all of them coming from here as well as other parts of the VR world) and will be working hard to get them dialed in.

I tried this last night it's a fantastic addition. Working on YouTube was fantastic so I tried the browser and loaded sky go took a bit of doing keyboard wise with lack off numbers but that will come in time I'm sure

The only problem I'm running into is getting sky go to play keeps telling me it's not supported with my web browser it works on my monitor when not playing VR so not sure what's going on, downloaded Firefox set it to my default browser but still no joy

If anyone has any ideas I would be most grateful. Or am I trying to do something that is not possible at the moment

I must say this will make the choice of tele when the footy is on and ED a thing of the past :D. Fantastic add on thanks to all involved

Rob

I tried this last night it's a fantastic addition. Working on YouTube was fantastic so I tried the browser and loaded sky go took a bit of doing keyboard wise with lack off numbers but that will come in time I'm sure

The only problem I'm running into is getting sky go to play keeps telling me it's not supported with my web browser it works on my monitor when not playing VR so not sure what's going on, downloaded Firefox set it to my default browser but still no joy

If anyone has any ideas I would be most grateful. Or am I trying to do something that is not possible at the moment

I must say this will make the choice of tele when the footy is on and ED a thing of the past :D. Fantastic add on thanks to all involved

Rob

If Sky Go uses the same sort of DRM that say Netflix and Amazon Video use, that may be why it is not working currently. Have you tried installing the Flash Player for Opera/Chromium as linked in the first post to see if it has a Flash fallback like Plex.tv does?

If it is the DRM, that will be fixed soon as we are actively working on that, but it is not ready just yet.

If Sky Go uses the same sort of DRM that say Netflix and Amazon Video use, that may be why it is not working currently. Have you tried installing the Flash Player for Opera/Chromium as linked in the first post to see if it has a Flash fallback like Plex.tv does?

If it is the DRM, that will be fixed soon as we are actively working on that, but it is not ready just yet.

That is not a problem I can definitely wait I will try and look into flash player I'm not great with computers anything over switching it on confuses me thanks for the reply

Rob

if support from vive still aint a thing,download revive.....lets you play occulus games on your vive.

As easy as that sounds, that does not work for V. (I have tried).

This isn't an Oculus Game, but a app that injects into the Oculus Runtime and ReVive does something to break that, even though it is pretty much passing Oculus Runtime through OpenVR for the Vive, V doesn't survive the transition.

Vive support is coming.

Is it possible to overlay video players such as VLC or MPC using this? If not, is that something that might be implemented in the future? Tried to use that OpenVRDesktopDisplayPortal thing, but it doesn't seem to work with the Rift.

Also, is there a way to resize horizontal and vertical dimensions independently? Watching YouTube and getting black bars on top and bottom. Wasted space is not something you want with an overlay.

Top Bottom